Status
Not open for further replies.

Lily123

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 1
Pronouns
She/Her
Hi everyone,

I’m off to a concert tomorrow (first one!) and they’ve stipulated no outside drinks (I can’t remember if food was mentioned) . I use coke as hypo treatment. Obviously on medical grounds should be allowed right?

Planning to take plenty of sweets just incase as well.

Can you take glucose tablets or sweets instead? You will be able to take a drink if you need it for medical reasons but may need to show a letter confirming you have diabetes.

Obviously on medical grounds should be allowed right?
Best contact the venue in the morning & see if they'll email you an exemption. I doubt you'll get far with the door staff otherwise on the basis it's "More than me jobs worth".

Thanks @Lucyr and @RBZ5416 , I’ll just take plenty of sweets. Glucose tablets don’t appear to work for me for whatever reason

Have you tried icing? You can buy small tubes of the stuff, check the carb content and see if that's any good for you.

Enjoy the gig @Lily123

Hope you don’t need any of the supplies you take!

Who are you seeing?

I’ll have a look at icing if I get a chance, thanks @Pumper_Sue

I also hope I won’t need anything! Off to see Take That

As a door supervisor who works doors for gigs. you should definitely be allowed coke/ meds into the venue. Due to spiking be prepared for your meds to be checked by a medic on site before you will be allowed in. Also make sure all drinks are in plastic bottles as cans / glass bottles will NOT be allowed in on safety grounds. (if crushed the can might develop sharp edges with can lead to serious cuts if fallen onto. ) I would also check which size of bag you will be allowed to take in. The venues I work for only allow bags smaller then A4 unless you are carrying medication.

HTH
Piglet

Last edited:
Best contact the venue in the morning & see if they'll email you an exemption. I doubt you'll get far with the door staff otherwise on the basis it's "More than me jobs worth".
I resent this comment. Most of us door staff ( see previous post) are very nice and accommodating. Please be aware we have the safety of all people in the venue to think about. so we are not just being difficult by asking you to do certain things. We want you to get home safely and enjoy the night. Remember anywhere you go where a large crowd gathers is a very soft target for those who might want to stab, shoot you or blow you up so please be nice to those of us who work on the front line. We have to make a snap decision on you by the way you present to us initially, too drunk too argumentative just might not get you in.

Many thanks for your time in reading this.

I resent this comment. Most of us door staff ( see previous post) are very nice and accommodating. Please be aware we have the safety of all people in the venue to think about. so we are not just being difficult by asking you to do certain things. We want you to get home safely and enjoy the night. Remember anywhere you go where a large crowd gathers is a very soft target for those who might want to stab, shoot you or blow you up so please be nice to those of us who work on the front line. We have to make a snap decision on you by the way you present to us initially, too drunk too argumentative just might not get you in.

Many thanks for your time in reading this.
I'd agree with that absolutely. Recently saw Elton John in Birmingham. There was an A4 bag rule but I had no trouble accommodating a tube of Lift and a bag of Jelly Snakes as well as my cards and personal stuff. The door staff and stewards could not have been more friendly or helpful. It was a joyous experience!

As a door supervisor who works doors for gigs. you should definitely be allowed coke/ meds into the venue. Due to spiking be prepared for your meds to be checked by a medic on site before you will be allowed in. Also make sure all drinks are in plastic bottles as cans / glass bottles will NOT be allowed in on safety grounds. (if crushed the can might develop sharp edges with can lead to serious cuts if fallen onto. ) I would also check which size of bag you will be allowed to take in. The venues I work for only allow bags smaller then A4 unless you are carrying medication.

HTH
Piglet
Thanks for your reply @Piglet , I’ll just take sweets as I don’t have time to get a plastic bottle.That’s more than fair enough about cans and glass bottles. I don’t have a bag that small which will hold my diabetes supplies,sweets and phone so I’m assuming a bigger bag will be fine?

Hi Lily123,
I can only speak for the venues I work in but if you require medical supplies a larger bag is allowed.

Good luck and I hope you enjoy the Gig.
Piglet.

Been to fair few concerts, Eagles & Rod Stewart being most recent.

Tbh not had any issues with security staff, I declare that I have type 1 diabetes & need to carry medical equipment including glucose tabs when approaching gates, do same when travelling through airports & ferry terminals.

As @Piglet rightly says these procedures are to keep people safe, no one wants another Manchester atrocity so be kind & respect the job that staff do at these venues.

My experience is that security staff are happy for me to bring items into a gig or sporting event if they are not sold on the premises. So, glucose tablets are fine. Unfortunately, when I tried to take a plastic bottle of coke in, I was told it was not allowed and if I had a hypo I would have to queue at the bar for a coke like everyone else. As I had glucose tablets in my bag, I didn't argue ... much. But I sent an email to the event organizer afterwards.

Thanks,

The procedures in place are perfectly understandable.

@helli that’s awful! Understandable for the ignorance though

Amazing!

Take That were great and had Calum Scott and Lulu as special guests. They did fireworks during Rule the World and they were great. I have to say I couldn’t hear properly for all of yesterday ::rofl:

very jealous !
assume lulu was on for relight my fire :D

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back