Closed loop system

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi,
a closed loop is not a totally closed loop as you know it from your body (it is a semi-closed loop). You still need to give info to the pump how much and when you eat (carb-ratios, correction-ratio). It still need some work, but the system will learn in time (especially about your Basal-levels), it will help and improve your diabetes-comfort and improve your glucose-level futher and your diabetes control. The system reacts if your glucose is going into extreme levels(epecially too low over night, it will stop insulin delivery for some time). But it is not the universal solution of the Diabetes, it is a big step forward for your diabetes securiy and comfort.

You may see more closed-loop system coming up in 2022. For example, there will be a Freestyle libre 3 sensor coming-up (hopefully 2022, as it is also available on the continent (EU). Omnipod (insulin pump) will put on the market (UK) a version (OMNIPOD 5), which is closed-loop capable with Dexcom or Freestyle Libre 3 and seems to be that quite some more (22-23) will be available on the market.

PS: I am waiting for it

Yes that’s just what I was going to say @RTI

The current hybrid closed loop systems (both commercial and DIY) offer a bit of a helping hand, and can significantly improve ‘time in range’ and hugely reduce the incidence of mild hypoglycaemia, but they still need quite a lot of user input and careful handling.

One of the limitations is that we are (as one speaker I saw presenting once commented) using the wrong insulin, with the wrong profile and delivering it in the wrong place. ’Proper’ insulin splurged out by the pancreas goes whooshing down the duct and starts working almost instantly (and stops working just as quickly!)

So pumps are a huge leap forward, and like @SB2015 I would really miss the functionality having lived with a sensor-augmented pump for the past 5 years, but you do have to estimate/count carbs… time your doses correctly… let it know if you are more active than usual or exercising… some also have different settings for sleeping.

The various algorithms need different user input, and part of effective use of the systems, in my experience, is working out what information it needs to work well for you, and when you need to consider overriding the automation (and when you are much better leaving it to do its thing!!)

Personally I do not think the sensors are accurate enough and as I am sensitive to insulin I suspect I could be in big trouble using it.
The sensor maybe not as accurate as you would like it, but you may prefer to prick your fingers 30-40 times a day to get an accurate profile and may find out that the glucose-reading are also differing between test-stripes form different producer.

Sensor-readings are still correct in a range of 5-15% and it maybe larger if your glucose level is changing fast due to sugar intake, etc.. But you learn in time that there is a time-delay and you may take sensor-readings at any time and at any place and as many times you want (50-60 times a day or more).

With test-stripes you must look for a place for testing, carrying around a test-set, clean your finger and prick it, etc.... Especially at work this makes a huge difference to a sensor.

And the new generation of sensor are transfering the measurement every minute auotmatically to your reader or mobile and will give alarm if to high or to low. so you just need to take a look at your mobile what's going on, eventhough the values may differ sometimes by 0.1-1 mmol/l, but it is a huge advantage and gives a so much more information about your glucose/food behaviour.

I had type 1 ~40 years and went through all type from testing from urine-testing and blood-test-stripe with waiting times from 5mn to 2mn, later 1mn and today 10sec.
I also hasitated to switch to sensor with the same argumentation as you have given.
But the step to a sensor 3 years a ago was a revelation and a huge step foward and I have learned in between of weeks and month more about my body and it's diabetic behaviour then what I thought to know already with my 40 years of experience.

Diabetes is not only a tablet which you take and everything is ok. You must accept that you have diabetes and may have to adapt and if you are doing it you may have a very good life also with diabetes.

Sensor-readings are still correct in a range of 5-15% and it maybe larger if your glucose level is changing fast due to sugar intake, etc.. But you learn in time that there is a time-delay and you may take sensor-readings at any time and at any place and as many times you want (50-60 times a day or more).
I have used sensors for years, and no I do not have massive changes in my levels. I have had sensors that can be anything from 2 - 5 points out with some but not all sensors. So no I would not trust a sensor to bolus from.

Diabetes is not only a tablet which you take and everything is ok. You must accept that you have diabetes and may have to adapt and if you are doing it you may have a very good life also with diabetes.
After almost 57 years with type 1 diabetes I think I have worked that out myself so please don't be so patronising.

Plus I would point out that Tom does not have diabetes - he is enquiring on behalf of his 4 yo child!

Hi @RTI

Let us know what you decide for your child. I have met children in schools using pumps with and without sensors which have certainly made things a lot easier. Others using MDI along with a Libre.

Things are changing so quickly now and it is going to be interesting to see what becomes available.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back