Closed loop system

Status
Not open for further replies.
Have to disagree there, maybe it is for some but not for everyone.
I wouldn't say it has a harder but I would say it is more work. The finer control and variable basal provides the tools to get better results. However, unless you do the same thing every day and eat tue same thing every day, you need the do a lot of tweaking to achieve it

I wouldn't say it has a harder but I would say it is more work. The finer control and variable basal provides the tools to get better results. However, unless you do the same thing every day and eat tue same thing every day, you need the do a lot of tweaking to achieve it

But these pump tweaks ain't daily helli, most days on mdi involved about 6 bolus injection & 1 basal dose, sometimes more injections to deal with difficult meals, so for me that was more time consuming plus mentally draining than pumping ever has..

Only speaking from personal experience of course but I could never say that pumping is harder work compared to injections.

But these pump tweaks ain't daily helli, most days on mdi involved about 6 bolus injection & 1 basal dose, sometimes more injections to deal with difficult meals, so for me that was more time consuming plus mentally draining than pumping ever has..

Only speaking from personal experience of course but I could never say that pumping is harder work compared to injections.
As long s often said, we are all different.
Take Dawn Phenomenon, fo r example.
The great thing about a pump is you can adjust your basal to cater for it
For me, my DP varies daily depending upon the exercise I did the last 48 hours. So I do need to tweak it daily

Have to disagree there, maybe it is for some but not for everyone.
Yeah, I find pumping easier than MDI too. And my TIR has improved enormously. I struggled to get to 60% with pens but achieve 80% no problem now.

Ah I see. So is there a reason people stay on pens?
Cos they don't qualify. I think if your a1c is higher than 7 you can be offered one (though criteria seen to change as often as the PM these days) bit of a perverse incentive to anyone who wants a pump not to try too hard...

Cos they don't qualify. I think if your a1c is higher than 7 you can be offered one (though criteria seen to change as often as the PM these days) bit of a perverse incentive to anyone who wants a pump not to try too hard...
I think the guidance is a HbA1C of over 8.5% (69 in new numbers)

For children under 12 the guidelines are a lot better in getting pumps to those who meed them - or that’s what it seems from the guidance

Don’t qualify? There’s that word again! How much money could it possibly be!?

The NHS is ridiculously underfunded

This is the most recent guidance from NICE:

620AF196-8EDF-49FC-89BB-A4A8D6543B4E.png

Not all about a1c, if condition affects your quality of life or you have frequent hypos despite attempts to reduce them then they all qualify, it says all in NICE guidelines.

Not all about a1c, if condition affects your quality of life or you have frequent hypos despite attempts to reduce them then they all qualify, it says all in NICE guidelines.
Yes, but it still seems quite plausible that most of us don't qualify. Especially with CGMs now being generally available.

(I think the criteria are in need of a bit of an update, but mostly I'm hoping for cheaper systems making it possible to offer looping systems more widely.)

Yes, but it still seems quite plausible that most of us don't qualify. Especially with CGMs now being generally available.

(I think the criteria are in need of a bit of an update, but mostly I'm hoping for cheaper systems making it possible to offer looping systems more widely.)

Helps also if you have consultant that is pro pumps.

The thing is, you could self fund a pump if it were a one off payment, but there are all the bits...
But they need to factor in the costs of benefits, treating complications etc
Perhaps when pumps become cheaper and better they'll be more available..
Plus they do have downsides..
Re 'affect quality of life' - well, thats pretty much all of us, to be honest, to some degree

I have to insure my pump. It is insured for £4000. On top of that is the cost of the consumables that need to be replaced every 3 days. i understand this works out significantly more expensive than the pump over the life of the pump (about 4 years). In addition, is the cost of training of patients and staff in every single pump the clinic supports which is why many clinics only support a very small subset of reliable but older pumps. No pumps approved by the NHS are kak but the ones supported my your (or my) clinic may not have all the bells and whistles. Clinics have a budget and chose how to spend it. Some may chose to fund more patients with an older pump whereas some may chose to fund less pumps with full closed loop up to the minute technology.

Compared to the cost of MDI, pumping is very expensive.

Last edited:
That’s great. It really seems like the way to go, What exactly is the function of the Basal dose? Is it to keep you ticking over at an in range level? Or are there additional purposes?
Whether on a pump or injections we need two lots of insulin.
Basal is dealing with the glucose that our body is constantly releasing to keep our bidies ticking over whether we eat or not. On MDI this is given once or twice a day as a slow release insulin. Insulin is covered in stuff that gradually breaks down and releases the insulin over the day.
On a pump thus is replaced with quick acting insulin but it is trickled out throughout the day in tiny amounts, more like what a working pancreas does. With the pump the rate can be adjusted hour by hour to more closely match our individual needs.
Not exactly a technical answer!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back