Closed loop dealing with the extreme heat

Status
Not open for further replies.
And the Medtrum ‘nano’ too I think?

The Dana pump can be looped with Dexcom too @runner @SB2015
This is true of course, but just worth noting that the T slim loop has inherent software from tandem which allows looping. Dexcom and dana are loopable together but need another bit of software on a phone- this is either something you put together yourself via diyaps, or with camaps which you need to pay for.

And the Medtrum ‘nano’ too I think?
Confusingly, the latest Medtrum pump and CGM are both called “Nano”. I wouldn’t say they provide full Closed Loop (I still define a basal profile) but they do talk to each other so that the pump suspends basal when the CGM detects low levels.

Confusingly, the latest Medtrum pump and CGM are both called “Nano”. I wouldn’t say they provide full Closed Loop (I still define a basal profile) but they do talk to each other so that the pump suspends basal when the CGM detects low levels.

FWIW the Tandem tSlim also bases its hybrid closed loop adjustments on the profile(s) you set up. This ability to manually adjust the closed loop’s decisions rather than surrendering to a predefined algorithm was something that actively appealed to me 🙂

Last edited:
FWIW the Tandem tSlim also bases its hybrid closed loop adjustments on the profile(S) you set up. This ability to manually adjust the closed loop’s decisions rather that surrendering to a predefined algorithm was something that actively appealed to me 🙂
That does seem to be a bonus with the t-slim. I shall be doing a pros and cons list nearer my next change over. I suspect that avoiding another switch of pump if possible might move up my list a fair way, but who knows what will be available by then.

I am using a closed loop system, (780G) which should automatically adjust things enough for me to avoid hypos. We have no input to our basal rates on the closed loop which is checking in with the sensor every 5 minutes and making adjustments. (unless we switch to manual). However in the past weeks with this heat I have had many more hypos Including some at night.
Having checked in with my DSN I have now:
  • Raised my target level from 5.6 to 6.7 (reduces the amounts in correction doses)
  • Changed my increments from 0.1 to 0.025 to allow the pump to make smaller basal adjustments.
So far so good. No hypos and still a good TIR.
I hope that this might be of use to others.
Thanks. I don't use a closed loop complete system as yet, still on a 640G (??) pump from Medtronic so my Medtronic CGM suspends when heading towards hypo but doesn't give the heading to hyperglycaemia corrections automatically. I've had to set a reduced basal schedule in the recent very (for the UK) hot period. Historically I know hot weather, particularly of sudden onset, sends my BG into my boots! There was a memorable occasion when I was a student when I apparently "meowed" at my land lady - thank goodness she picked up on what was up and took me to A&E!! (This was well before the days of pumps and CGM!) When I get my next pump due to warranty expiry it will be a 780G, so will remember your tip.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back