Closed loop dealing with the extreme heat

Status
Not open for further replies.

SB2015

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 1
I am using a closed loop system, (780G) which should automatically adjust things enough for me to avoid hypos. We have no input to our basal rates on the closed loop which is checking in with the sensor every 5 minutes and making adjustments. (unless we switch to manual). However in the past weeks with this heat I have had many more hypos Including some at night.
Having checked in with my DSN I have now:
  • Raised my target level from 5.6 to 6.7 (reduces the amounts in correction doses)
  • Changed my increments from 0.1 to 0.025 to allow the pump to make smaller basal adjustments.
So far so good. No hypos and still a good TIR.
I hope that this might be of use to others.

Sounds good but did she have any idea what the cause might be? Is the hot weather / dehydration making the sensor read higher than you are, or making insulin work quicker than your pump expects or something else?

Yes my Control IQ has been struggling to keep up with the increased insulin sensitivity in the warmer weather too.

Still performing better than I would on my own, but not catching things as usual. Plus, of course you kinda get used to relying on the system sorting things out in the background, so have to click back into making the preventative measures up front.

Do the loop systems have any kind of thermometer built in? Might be something for the future?

Do the loop systems have any kind of thermometer built in? Might be something for the future?
The loop is software based on CGM readings. I understand some CGMs do detect body temperature but I am not sure that rises much as the ambient temperature rises.

Tee hee. I'm not at all amused by any of you finding glitches, I'm not that nasty (with most people) - BUT when did the word assume not = making an ass out of you and me?

It's very new technology - and you are Beta testing it!

I am not on a closed loop but FSL has always giving me high reading all of a sudden when having a hot shower in the colder months of the year and when i sit in the sun in the summer (like now ) for 15mins it shouts out to high on my xdrip app.so it must have a thermometer .obviously its not high its a error 10mins later its back down.

Last edited:
I've had it tell me it's too hot to tell me my BG when I scan it, but it's been OK later when no longer in the noonday sun - on hol from tomorrow so I'll see cos there's no way Pedro I ain't sitting in the sun, except literally at noon!

Sounds good but did she have any idea what the cause might be? Is the hot weather / dehydration making the sensor read higher than you are, or making insulin work quicker than your pump expects or something else?
I already knew what the cause was, with the high temps causing an increase in sensitivity.

On my old pump I would have set a reduced basal rate and also taken a bit off my boluses in this heat. With the closed loop the pump with the sensor is making the decisions about basal for me, and it needed a bit of help to address the change in sensitivity. Like @everydayupsanddowns indicated it is easy to forget how much I used to have to do before looping and easy to take the loop for granted.

I do ensure that I keep hydrated in this weather so that definitely helps with any sensor readings. I have my sensor in my upper arm, and I am aware that there are times when that is in full sun, and I don’t want to wear sleeves in this heat. I just tend to walk on the shady side of the street.

All good today after the changes I have made

Well the risk of meeting any mad dogs is very slight, so slight in fact it's completely safe in my opinion to ignore that risk.

However ...... 😉

Note to self - Must remember to put my watch on every day on hols - always useful if people ask if you have any white bits !

I have a DexCom sensor and have been looking at pumps. Consultant is happy to refer me for one and I’ve been researching pumps. Is a closed loop system that you mention a pump linked to s Ensor or a pump that adjusts automatically? I’m finding the heat increases my BG!

Is a closed loop system that you mention a pump linked to s Ensor or a pump that adjusts automatically?
Yes, they're a pump, a CGM, and an algorithm of some sort using the CGM readings to control the pump. The algorithm may run on the pump or on your phone.

Yes, they're a pump, a CGM, and an algorithm of some sort using the CGM readings to control the pump. The algorithm may run on the pump or on your phone.
Thanks.

Hi @runner the companies use different terms to describe the systems that are available.
Basically you can use a pump
  • Stand alone without sensors
  • Along with sensors so that the pump will give alarms and also insulin suspend on lows
    You set and adjust the basal programmes and can make temporary adjustments as necessary
  • In a closed loop
    The pump controls the basal rates and makes adjustments to this by checking in with the sensor every 5 min.
This thread gives a comparison between the different pumps. At present there are two options T-slim with Dexcom sensors and Medtronic 780 with Guardian sensors.

@runner the other thing to consider with pumps is what pumps are approved by your CCG. Your CCG may offer a pump which is compatible with Dexcom or they may not. Before too much research, I strongly recommend asking your consultant what pumps would be available for you. Otherwise, you risk raising your hopes for an all singing and dancing closed loop system with your Dexcom to then discover the only options available to you are not compatible with Dexcom and not possible to closed loop with any CGMs.

Such limited choice in pumps is something else that Partha Kar is unhappy with and working to resolve.

@runner the other thing to consider with pumps is what pumps are approved by your CCG. Your CCG may offer a pump which is compatible with Dexcom or they may not. Before too much research, I strongly recommend asking your consultant what pumps would be available for you. Otherwise, you risk raising your hopes for an all singing and dancing closed loop system with your Dexcom to then discover the only options available to you are not compatible with Dexcom and not possible to closed loop with any CGMs.
Ok thanks.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back