Clinic day tomorrow/ pump???

Status
Not open for further replies.
Wow, so much help and we haven't even got the pump (yet, I hope!!) I really appreciate it.

Bev, Carol has an iPod and she has Tracker3 on that. We have bought her some iTunes credit for Christmas and her Birthday (buy2 ?15 ones for ?20). I'll tell her she should buy that Carbs&Cals.
We also have some photos of food with the carb points on it from the hospital, but have never used them. They are supposed to go on my mobile. I've also made my own list of my homemade dishes to refer back to after trying it for the first time.

You have hit on a sore point there Bev. I'm still to scared to *Think* how much carb I dish up, I still weigh most things. 😱

Wow, so much help and we haven't even got the pump (yet, I hope!!) I really appreciate it.

Bev, Carol has an iPod and she has Tracker3 on that. We have bought her some iTunes credit for Christmas and her Birthday (buy2 ?15 ones for ?20). I'll tell her she should buy that Carbs&Cals.
We also have some photos of food with the carb points on it from the hospital, but have never used them. They are supposed to go on my mobile. I've also made my own list of my homemade dishes to refer back to after trying it for the first time.

You have hit on a sore point there Bev. I'm still to scared to *Think* how much carb I dish up, I still weigh most things. 😱

I think the carbs and cals was about ?5 - and its great we use it a lot when out!

What you could do is to write down what you *think* the right amount is - but then weigh it - so your still getting the right amount - but increasing your visual knowledge at the same time and it'll be great for Carol too! Alex and I used to have a competition to see who was closest and a lot of the time we were both only 2 or 3 carbs out!🙂Bev

Monica - I'm going for 6.2% 🙂

As far as the pump goes its not something we have given any thought to - other than k saying she'd rather inject 27 times a day than have 'that' in her all day. Thank you for raising the issue as this thread has answered a lot of my questions too. You sound like it scares you as much as it does me - but if C wants to try it good for her - she's a brave girl.

K is learning to Carb count using the Carbs and Cals book when we go out to eat/school dinners, and we are getting the ipod app for my birthday (have to get an ipod too), plus when she is in a good mood I ask her to work a simple meal out that doesnt need weighing - say when she has something on toast. I work it out myself first. She always gets it right. She has to learn as she wants to go on a school residential trip next May 😱

Monica - I'm going for 6.2% 🙂

As far as the pump goes its not something we have given any thought to - other than k saying she'd rather inject 27 times a day than have 'that' in her all day. Thank you for raising the issue as this thread has answered a lot of my questions too. You sound like it scares you as much as it does me - but if C wants to try it good for her - she's a brave girl.

Carol was the same as K, but last evening at the dinner table we asked her again about asking for the pump. She wasn't sure, but we said that she could try it and if she didn't like it, she could go back to injections. I also showed her the video. At first she got scared and said she didn't want to see the needle. But she watched it and it really surprised her that you can't even see anything. I did warn her though that there were different types of cannulas out there and that she might not get that one.

Carolyn - I am very scared, Carol has too many hypos as it is without me making it worse by miscalculating the carbs. But it's funny how I find eating out much easier🙄. I can't weigh anything then, can I.

Right, I'm off, I have to prepare a stew for tonight. And have other things to do before I leave here at 11.45.

I did warn her though that there were different types of cannulas out there and that she might not get that one.

If she gets funding for a pump, she will get to choose which cannula she has - I think all 3 of the pump companies (Medtronic, Animas, Roche) offer 3 types of cannula each. The Medtronic and Animas ones are almost identical. You place orders directly with the company for cannulas and reservoirs (the part that holds the insulin) 🙂

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back