Citrus-Free Glucose?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Thanks @Spathiphyllum - but unfortunately ascorbic acid is often derived from citrus fruits, and fruit juice from concentrate is rehydrated with water, so that type of little carton of fruit juice isn't suitable for me.

I know that extra exercise is a benefit for most diabetics, but extra weight/extra exercise is not an option for me, sadly - I really need something very light and portable (I have a neurological illness which is made worse by exercise, and very tiny amounts of exercise have a huge effect on me, and could cause me to collapse and become very ill).

How about fudge @TheClockworkDodo ? I know there’s some fat in it but it’s super-sweet and full of sugar. I’ve used it as a hypo treatment before. Or, how about making your own peppermint creams? Use a basic recipe without egg white and they should keep two or three weeks, eg:

https://www.carnation.co.uk/recipes/peppermint-creams-recipe

They’d be small and light to take out and you could put a few in a little Tupperware.

Fudge sounds possible @Inka - I noticed that the Kendal mint cake manufacturers also make fudge when I was looking at their website and wondered whether it might be suitable - never heard of anyone using it to treat a hypo before, but if you've tried it it sounds as though it's worth my having a look at ingredients, thanks.

Making my own anything isn't feasible as I have a fairly limited amount of time and energy and would rather use what little I have spare for something I enjoy (I hate cooking!).

But I now have options - sugar lumps will be easy to get and to carry so I'm not going to be completely stuck when the GSF-Syrups run out, and I've a couple of other possibilities to investigate, so thanks again everyone 🙂

There’s also coconut ice, which is very sweet and only contains condensed milk or/and glucose syrup, icing sugar and some coconut. You can often get it in fudge shops or sweet shops.

Last edited:
I have a citrus allergy too, it comes in hand with hay-fever for me.
I use lucozade for lows..

Thanks @Inka, that sounds like another possibility 🙂

@Colm - lucozade contains citric acid, so I'm guessing you maybe just have a problem with the fruit and not with the acid? Not all citric acid is derived from citrus fruit, but I can't tolerate even the tiniest amount of citric acid, unfortunately.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back