Citrus-Free Glucose?

Status
Not open for further replies.

TheClockworkDodo

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 1
I'm allergic to citric acid and citrus fruits.

I've been using GSF-Syup (mint flavour) to treat hypos, but my pharmacy hasn't been able to get this for several months. I need to find alternative glucose gels or tablets which don't contain citric acid or citrus of any sort, so that when I go out I have portable glucose I can keep in a pocket or bag.

It's not a problem at home, where I can keep fruit juice in the fridge, but portable fruit juices tend to contain citric acid (and also I can carry half a dozen sachets of gel, whereas half a dozen cartons of fruit juice would be a bit heavy). I also have powdered glucose, sugar, and honey at home, but all are a bit impractical for carrying about.

Please could you look at the ingredients of any tablets or gels or other easily portable hypo treatments you have and see whether they contain citric acid or anything else citrusy, such as lemon or orange flavouring? - and if you find something which doesn't, please let me know what it is! I might still not be able to tolerate it as I have a lot of food intolerances, but I really need some options before my remaining GSF-Syrups run out.

NB jelly babies are not suitable for me, they contain citric acid and various other flavourings which I can't tolerate.

Not sure what "flavourings" add in (will need to investigate further) but

shrimps and banana
INGREDIENTS: Sugar, Glucose Syrup, Dextrose, Beef Gelatine, Maize Starch, Colour (Curcumin), Concentrated Beetroot Juice, Flavourings.

89.5g carbs per 100g with 74.1 sugars

Love hearts

Ingredients​

Sugar, Acidity Regulator: Malic Acid, Anti-Caking Agent: Stearic Acid, Magnesium Stearate, Magnesium Carbonate, Sodium Bicarbonate, Modified Starch, Flavourings, Colours: Anthocyanin, Beetroot Red, Copper Chlorophyllin, Lutein, Paprika Extract

88g carbs per 100g with 86 sugars

other ideas would be sugar packets or sugar cubes in a padded tub?
mini cans of full sugar juice (not ideal for weight i know)

Not a tablet or gel but I use 150ml cans of Appletiser. Ingredients 100% apple juice from concentrate. They have around 17g carbs per little can and are small enough to fit in my coat pocket or handbag. They work fast.

Thank you both, I had wondered about sugar cubes, @gll - I know I looked for them years ago, before I found the GSF-Syrup, and I couldn't find any then, but I could have another look as they would be ideal.

Anything with unidentified flavourings is too risky for me, and also unfortunately both Curcumin and Paprika would make me ill, but I really appreciate your posting the ingredients, thanks.

I'll look at the Appletiser too, @Inka though it may be a bit heavy as if I am out I'm quite likely to have three or four hypos in succession so can't carry just one treatment.

I looked at Kendal Mint Cake before too, and didn't get it but can't remember why - I have the feeling it contained water, which could also potentially make me ill (allergic to chlorine), but I'll have another look as if necessary I could tolerate a tiny amount of that.

Yes, just looked and it's water in mint cake. I could try emailing the manufacturers and asking if they use filtered water!

I use Dextrose tablets, but these have flavourings, not sure if they contain citric acid but they are fruit flavoured. Have you looked at Glucogel tubes? I believe those are just unflavoured dextrose gel?

Just googled for sugar cubes and they are easy to find, can't think why I couldn't find any before :confused: - maybe I was looking for individually wrapped ones? But I could wrap a few in foil easily enough, so they are definitely a possibility.

Just googled for sugar cubes and they are easy to find, can't think why I couldn't find any before :confused: - maybe I was looking for individually wrapped ones? But I could wrap a few in foil easily enough, so they are definitely a possibility.
Could get small pots you put salad dressing or kids small snacks in, should fit a few sugar cubes or the individual sugar sticks in

Because we hardly use any sugar at home and I've always hated and loathed spilled sugar plus think people who use the sugar spoon to stir their drink and then put it back in the sugar basin are philistines and we were due to run a caravan/camping rally in France in 2019 hence needing to cater for hot drinks to all the participants a few times, as we don't even have a sugar basin in our van I had the bright idea of investing in a box of sugar cubes. Neither of us even drinks rye and dry either - so I eventually lobbed what was left in the box a year or two later cos they stay absolutely firmly cubic and do not adhere to each other UNLESS allowed to get damp.

Do, DO therefore buy as small a box as now available!!

What about glucose gel, for baking: https://groceries.asda.com/product/baking-aids-cocoa/dr-oetker-liquid-glucose/910001392515
At 140gr it might be heavier than ideal, but it was the first one I came up with.

Alternatively, thre is Rapilose which is essentially what is used for OGTTs theses days: https://www.amazon.co.uk/Rapilose-G...5&sprefix=liquid+glucose,aps,997&sr=8-1-fkmr3

I have no idea how much glucose is in each tube, but I'm sure the manufacturer would be able to supply that information.

Tricky allergy to have, bearing in mind where the stuff is used as preservatives etc. I don't envy you that one!

I get a tub of dextrose from bulk supplements. (unflavoured). You can then mix your own drinks in whatever containers are handy small, medium etc.. plus the dextrose will last you for ages, even if you hav a lot of hypos. Much cheaper than anything else you can buy.

Thanks, @AndBreathe - I'll investigate the liquid glucose, that might be possible if I can get it in smaller quantities.

Rapilose contains citric acid, unfortunately. When I was first diagnosed the dietician went through every gel and tablet they had in the hospital looking at all the ingredients, and they all contained citric acid except for GSF-Syrup!

@Hepato-pancreato - I have bulk packet of dextrose powder to use at home too, but I didn't think it would be very portable, as I assumed I'd have to take out several small packets of it and several bottles with a small amount of water in each, and mixing it in the middle of (for instance) a country walk would be difficult. Or do you mix it up in advance to take out with you (if so how long does it keep once mixed)?

You can get Glucogel sachets on the NHS which I get every month till I build up a stock. Easy to carry and use

You can get Glucogel sachets on the NHS which I get every month till I build up a stock. Easy to carry and use

Didn’t this used to be called HypoStop? If so, let’s just say many people have an issue with it! (Where’s the vomiting smilie?)

I'll look at the Appletiser too, @Inka though it may be a bit heavy as if I am out I'm quite likely to have three or four hypos in succession so can't carry just one treatment.
I have little 200ml boxes of Essential Waitrose apple juice-- 100% apple juice, 22.4g carbs per box-- and little 200ml boxes of Cawston Press Apple and Summer Berries-- the only ingredient other than juice and water is ascorbic acid, aka vitamin C; 11.6g carbs per box.

I carry one of each, so I can drink one or the other or both, depending on how low I am.

Yes, carrying several juice boxes means some extra weight-- but carrying extra weight means extra exercise. ; ) A little added benefit!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back