Circle D

Status
Not open for further replies.

shirl

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 2
:confused: Can someone please explain what circle D is and who its for?
Sorry if I'm asking a stupid question😱

shirl

Hi Shirl...

Circle D Creator here 🙂

What Shiv said is spot on, I'm thrilled other ppl are using the circle d name to set up groups 🙂

support is sooooo needed!! x

Ok, thanks for the replies Shiv and Shelley, is it open to all tho even us 'oldies' (I'm 54)? LOL, shirl x

Ok, thanks for the replies Shiv and Shelley, is it open to all tho even us 'oldies' (I'm 54)? LOL, shirl x

Circle D is for people aged 18 - 30 -- Shelley did a training course given by DUK to set up the group, and the DUK guidelines were to have the age limit sat at 18 - 30.

The training that shelly went to was attended by several diabetics, to set up groups but as far as im aware Shelly's is the only one that really took off.

My other half want on the training with shelly, and although His group didnt take off exactly (I was the only one who turned up) he has been thinking of setting up another.
He did also find Shiv's on facebook through Circle D. He said it looks good :D

The training that shelly went to was attended by several diabetics, to set up groups but as far as im aware Shelly's is the only one that really took off.

My other half want on the training with shelly, and although His group didnt take off exactly (I was the only one who turned up) he has been thinking of setting up another.

tell your OH thanks 🙂 i'm hoping it will be good! i'd be pleased even if just 4 or 5 people turned up, but i am hoping more will come 🙂

Oh rats that means I'm out then! Is there a Circle D for us oldies then? Think is a bit ageist if not 🙂 . . . . . . ?

Oh rats that means I'm out then! Is there a Circle D for us oldies then? Think is a bit ageist if not 🙂 . . . . . . ?

I think that the problem was that the younger people were feeling a bit out of place at the usual places like the ordinary DUK regional groups, so there was a real need for something to cater for them. I think it's particularly important for young adults as they make the transition from teenage years to adulthood as many face big problems with the change in care they receive and having to cope with it all themselves.

Our forum has arranged quite a few social gatherings, and I'm sure this will increase as we get more members, so hopefully you'll be able to join in on some of those! 🙂

Hi Northerner, yeah I did realise that was probably the case! The ageist bit was said very tongue in cheek! 🙂 don't want to upset anyone . . . .

Would be nice (urgh hate that word) mean gr8 to meet others whatever their age, so something in the Midlands would be good!

Thanx for replies, take care all, maybe see some of u in the flesh so to speak! shirl

Brum would be ok, but Stafford would be even betta for me as I don't drive and I can't go on public transport unless I am accompanied, Anxiety is a real bummer! Now that sounds pathetic . . . . . . . sorry

OOO AKash who is your other half??? am intrigued! 🙂 x

I think that the problem was that the younger people were feeling a bit out of place at the usual places like the ordinary DUK regional groups, so there was a real need for something to cater for them. I think it's particularly important for young adults as they make the transition from teenage years to adulthood as many face big problems with the change in care they receive and having to cope with it all themselves.

Our forum has arranged quite a few social gatherings, and I'm sure this will increase as we get more members, so hopefully you'll be able to join in on some of those! 🙂

Thats exactly right Northe, DUK noticed a 'gap in the market' for 18-30's and hence I set up Circle D 🙂 I often give the circle d name to ppl to set up a group...Shirl you could always set up the first Circle D 30+ I am 27 this year and will not fit the circle d age band in 3 yrs.....eeekkk!!!! hehehe the more groups the better I say..support is vital!!!

Tis great to have this forum as it involves all ages 🙂 xxx

yes, i'd love the next one to be in birmingham - i was thinking first week of september, but we'll plan it after july/brighton!

Bring on the Brum 🙂 am deffos up for travelling to that one 🙂 x

I dunno Shelly, ive been to Kent (Well herne bay) and it was nicer then scutty brum! >.<
His name is phil. He was the really tall dark hair one with glasses. (Sorry dont wanna put his full name)
Its because of the group (that failed) that we got together (cue 'ahhh's' from the audience 😛)
I couldnt quite understand why the groups aimed at 18-30's, i thought it should have poss started at 16. hell i would have appreciated it at 16.

I agree with Nothener, i am disillusioned with DUK, but mostly because they seem to aim advertising and groups toward type 2's (Please dont take offence anyone :( )

I couldnt quite understand why the groups aimed at 18-30's, i thought it should have poss started at 16. hell i would have appreciated it at 16.

I would guess they set it at 18 as once you start working with under 18s you can get into a lot of legislation around child/young adult protection and responsibility etc, I'd imagine it's simplier to set it at 18 where there's less risk/confusion

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back