Cinnamon

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sebstar

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 2
I have heard that cinnamon can lower blood sugar levels - has anyone tried it?

I've heard that too, although I haven't actually tried it. I cook with cinamon and find I need to put less sugar/sweetner in things, so on that level, yes it helps.

I'm going to get some today and have also ordered cinnamon capsules it's worth a try.

Tastes great with baked and stewed apples and a little lemon, reduce the sweetner you use. As taste is a personal think, you may need to experiment, but too much cinamon makes things taste not so nice.

I'm going to get some today and have also ordered cinnamon capsules it's worth a try.

Hi Sebstar

I have tried it and it did work for me. My Doctor didn't agree that the reduction in blood sugar levels were due to the cinnamon but it was all that I'd changed.

I initially used cinnamon balls from a chinese herbalist but this wasworking out expensive so I got the capsules from a web company called everything cinnamon. They do a variety of items that all contain cinnamon and are quite reasonable.

Hope you find the capsules a benefit.

Andy

Frustratingly, the assessment of cinnamon as a low BS factor - or even a BS reducing agent - never seems to get beyond the stage of rumour.

Has anyone heard of any medical proposition to the effect that it really is beneficial in this regard?

Hi Sebstar

I have tried it and it did work for me. My Doctor didn't agree that the reduction in blood sugar levels were due to the cinnamon but it was all that I'd changed.

I initially used cinnamon balls from a chinese herbalist but this wasworking out expensive so I got the capsules from a web company called everything cinnamon. They do a variety of items that all contain cinnamon and are quite reasonable.

Hope you find the capsules a benefit.

Andy

Is there a web adress? I tried a acouple of obvious things with no joy.

Last edited by a moderator:
We have cinnamon tic-tacs at work. they are yummy. might start eating more of them as an experiment :D:D

I sprinkled it every day on breakfast through the 1990s. No noticeable effect.
The claims about cinnamon have been around for decades.
When highly refined cinnamon ectract was fed to lab rats it reduced their bgs - humans would need a bucketful a day of the stuff we nornally see to get the same effects.
You have to be wary of food supplements and alternative medicine remedies originating in the Far East, they can lace diabetic "cures" with sulfonylureas
(e.g. gliclazide) so that unwary dmers are taking an unknown dose of a powerful drug but think its the "natural" herb or whatever doing the business.

I heard it only helped type 2s?! Guess because it helps with insulin resistance. I love cinnamon so im willing to give it a go :D

Really? I must give it a try, I love cinnamon. I use the actual bark in cooking rather than ready ground or sticks.

omg i love cinnamon chewing gum! im going to order some, they dont sell it in any shops ive been in, think i was given some by an exchange student when i was younger 🙂 free shipping with orders over ?6.something woo 🙂

Whether cinnamon can lower blood sugar is a topic of debate — but most research suggests that cinnamon isn't an effective treatment for type 1 or type 2 diabetes.

In one preliminary 2006 study, cinnamon extract seemed to lower blood sugar in people who have type 2 diabetes. However, other studies haven't confirmed these results. Likewise, cinnamon doesn't appear to improve hemoglobin A1C levels — a reflection of average blood sugar level for the past two to three months — or cholesterol levels. At this point, it seems unlikely that cinnamon could play any role in diabetes treatment.

If you have diabetes, remember that treatment is a lifelong commitment of blood sugar monitoring, healthy eating, regular exercise and, sometimes, diabetes medications or insulin therapy. Consult your doctor if you have questions or concerns about your diabetes treatment plan.

Thats the reply of one doctor online to whether cinnamon lowers BS

Whether cinnamon can lower blood sugar is a topic of debate ? but most research suggests that cinnamon isn't an effective treatment for type 1 or type 2 diabetes.

In one preliminary 2006 study, cinnamon extract seemed to lower blood sugar in people who have type 2 diabetes. However, other studies haven't confirmed these results. Likewise, cinnamon doesn't appear to improve hemoglobin A1C levels ? a reflection of average blood sugar level for the past two to three months ? or cholesterol levels. At this point, it seems unlikely that cinnamon could play any role in diabetes treatment.

If you have diabetes, remember that treatment is a lifelong commitment of blood sugar monitoring, healthy eating, regular exercise and, sometimes, diabetes medications or insulin therapy. Consult your doctor if you have questions or concerns about your diabetes treatment plan.

Thats the reply of one doctor online to whether cinnamon lowers BS

I remember some years ago someone brought me in an article that said a Vitamin B Complex also had a beneficial effect on BS. What the article did not mention was that large doses are akin to eating a bar of diabetic chocolate! I found that if you took the RDA there was no noticeable effect on BS. Perhaps the trial found a drop as the food was not then digested fully!

WOW I cannay believe it, whatever next? Cheers people🙂

I'll be reading the links and maybe making some cinnamon based cocktails at the weekend😉

yes rossi they was a good cinnamon based mulled wine recipe in the link gasman put up LOL

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back