Christmas without sweets and chocolates

Status
Not open for further replies.

MargB

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 2
How do you all cope? I usually do pig out over Christmas and eat all the boxes of chocolates I receive as gifts. When at parties I happily tuck in to the dishes of sweeties around the house, etc.

What do you do?

I always go to someone else's house for Christmas dinner and would feel rude taking along my own fruit to eat.

Honestly, what do you?

To be honest Marg, I have lost my taste for indulging in large amounts of chocolate at Christmas - my palate has changed in the two years since I was diagnosed. I think I've also become subconsciously fearful of the effect on my blood sugars by such indulgencies and this tends to hold me back. The problem is, as a diabetic, too much sweet stuff will actually make you feel awful.

Very difficult when all around are happily scoffing away, I know, but you shouldn't feel awkward about having what you prefer (or now need to prefer!). Nuts are good! Or cheese! Or some quality chocolate in small amounts (not Quality Street!).

How do you all cope? I usually do pig out over Christmas and eat all the boxes of chocolates I receive as gifts. When at parties I happily tuck in to the dishes of sweeties around the house, etc.

What do you do?

I always go to someone else's house for Christmas dinner and would feel rude taking along my own fruit to eat.

Honestly, what do you?

I panic, get depressed and hate the whole thing! I find all the adverts, shop displays and general joy of otheres who can indulge, far too much to bear. We are not great party goers so we avoid them, keep the whole thing simple and only buy enough for our needs with a few treats which can be eaten up over a couple of days- tried it last year and it worked a treat - the Byetta helped to stop me over-stuffing but I allowed myself a small chocolate treat, and some of the things I deny myself all year- like fruit cake...keep your turkey etc, give me fruit cake😉 Funny thing is that it felt like it did when I was a kid and treats were for Xmas and not for every day. One of my best Chritmasses since being diagnosed.

As far as visiting is concerned, all my frinds and rellies understand my needs and cater for them. One year my sister in law went out if her way to make me a fresh fruit trifle type concoction with sugar free custard- I was really touched and when someone goes to such trouble you have to refuse the really naughty things on offer don't you! These days I would explain to people that I can't have so and so for medical reasons and can easily bring my own dessert/drink etc - I am sure they would understand🙂

Funnily enough I have noticed that when I do sneak a gooey cake it just doesn't taste as good as they used to do so I think my palate has also changed.

I suppose I will find out how I cope on December 25th.

When I was younger, my parents would politely remind friends/family it was best not to buy me chocolate/sweets/cakes etc over Christmas - and Easter too. Inevitably I always got some, but I knew not to overindulge as the results wouldn't be worth it.

I have a few squares of the Lindt 90% cocoa chocolate from time to time - only 1.4g carb per square so no worries there. It's an acquired taste though.

I know it's not chocolate, but cheesecake satisfies my pudding/treat cravings - my other half can knock up a wicked low carb cheesecake at only 6 to 8g carb per hefty slice and it doesn't do much to my levels (optional drizzling of double cream on top).

Im with Cliff on this and also Northey,it seems to have lost its appeal to me to sit eating copious amounts of choccie, but xmas and easter are my total dreads, but my first xmas went really well and i was very restraint.I just look at my little lad and think to myself everytime i give in to the temptation im letting him down as well as myself, so this xmas hopefully i will be a good girl as well

As a type 1 I still allow a little indulgence at Christmas should I wish and cover with insulin, but in all truthfulness I don't really bother that much and prefer more savoury snacks than sweet-stuff. I wouldn't worry too much about taking fruit to other people's homes, if they are friends they will understand your circuymstances and needs, if they are offended..........well there not really friends in the first place! Toby.

Can I be the bad boy and admit that I've always tucked into chocs, christmas pud, mince pies, etc in small to moderate portions but have never really denied myself anything.
Again, as a type 1, I've always tried to cover it with extra insulin with mixed results, but my sweet tooth hasn't really got much less. 😱

This year may well be different since we've taken the big D by the scruff and tried to get things more in check. But I think I may be having the odd little treat here and there. 🙄

Rob

i love christmas , but im not a huge fan of the sweet stuff i also have a savoury tooth and love to nibble all the savoury goodys like nuts cheese pickles bombaymix satsumas , i leave my one really sweet thing for christmas dinner and have a small portion of xmas pud , but i suppose ive never been alowed or had sweet stuff as i was dx at 7 so my sweet tooth didnt have a chance to appear lol :D

the darkest chocolate you can get with sloe gin ....yummy 🙂

Marge

Your 5.8 HbA1c suggests that you work really hard at your control most of the time. Like many other T1 posters I'm lucky enough to be able to inject to cover an occasional treat over the season, and have been known to hit the Quality Street as a hypo remedy (I know... I know..).

I suppose the secret is not to beat yourself up about it and to allow yourself a little indulgence over the season, but not so much that soaring BGs make you feel rubbish.

A few little treats over the holidays shouldn't do you any harm.

Mike

Incidentally my Mum makes a mean Christmas Pud with lots of ground almonds and no added sugar. They're having Christmas dinner with us so I'll be treating myself to a bit of that 🙂

I find now that testing keeps me sort of in check if being naughty - if i do give in to something and it sends me high -it shows up when i test and I think about things for quite some time after - I know its xmas but i intend to test whilst at the same time having a taste of what i fancy. I do know what folk mean though about changes in taste. Someone bought a huge cream cake in to work yesterday and when I said I couldn't have any they were full of apologies - but when walking away I realised i would rather have a cup of coffee!

Surely it's ok to have the odd treat so long as you don't eat the whole box of chocs or eat loads of cake etc.

It'll be lonely this xmas (song) to have u too hold (sweets) lol buggar it im not doing chrimbo this yeah 'bah hu'ermmmm lol
i dont think it'll hurt to indulge a ickle bit?? :O just picture complications with diabetes to remind us not to OVER indulge 😉
thats wot im doing tc at chrimbo you lot 😉

hadnt even thought about it but now i am thinking it is going to be interesting especially with considerably less booze and nibbles! Best to keep looking at recipies to make healthy versions of stuff. also planning to buy expensive versions of stuff i am allowed🙄

I was told by one DSN that they expect January HbA1Cs to be higher than at other times of year because people indulge.

Its all in moderation really - the odd chocolate here and there is fine but no eating a 5kg tin of roses or quality street in one sitting......

Christmas is a killer for us diabetics ,in my house there are 4 females who all love chocolate and eat it non stop over the festive period ,i really do have a problem over the festive period the temptation is murder 😱

In my family from way back when (certainly well before diabetes set in) it has been a rule not to buy sweets cakes or biscuits as presents unless requested. These days if I am visiting I explain I am allowed a few sweet treats, but I'd rather have some fruit, then ask if I can bring some fruit or a fruit salad with me. Most people are happy with that arrangement.

I was told by one DSN that they expect January HbA1Cs to be higher than at other times of year because people indulge.

My nurse told me the exact same thing - she even postponed my January HbA1c to February to give me a fighting chance of a decent result. Quite sweet really, but I told her the only person I would be fooling was myself.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back