Chocolate

Status
Not open for further replies.
I am a chocoholic what can I have to curb the cravings
Any chocolate is really something that should be reserved as a treat as even the dark 70% plus cocoa is still pretty high carb.
If you like nuts then some of the Protein bars which are nut based are not bad carb wise. Nature Valley or KIND or shop own do a high protein chocolate and sea salt or similar nut bar which are 10g carb per 40g bar as opposed to pure chocolate which would be something like twice that.

2 squares of dark chocolate of 70% or higher is the recommendation, and as it is more chocolatey (and a wee bit bitter), it is usually enough to satisfy - still add it to your food diary as part of your daily numbers though. as with whatever else you eat or drink.

When I have a treat how much can I have
That is going to depend on what the rest of you carbohydrate intake is for the rest of the day and perhaps what you want to 'trade' for your chocolate.
If you have got your blood glucose increases due to meals in a good range by watching the carbs you are having in a meal then 3 small squares (about 15g ) of chocolate which might be 9g carb may do no harm but not if your meal levels are already high and you don't stop at just that amount. You could have 80g strawberries and cream for only 5g carb, I know what I would rather have.

I eat chocolate most days! Lidl do a 95% chocolate that is not bitter and i can only manage one squar as it’s very rich.

Tesco Intense Dark Chocolate, 85% cocoa, is very tasty and not too bitter. Good value at £1 per bar.

I can't manage any more that 85% cocoa solids chocolate (I get the Lidl one) and I probably have a square a day broken into halves or quarters and a spoon of peanut butter with each piece most days but not every day.

I'm hard core. 100% Montezma dark chocolate I can only manage 1 square. It lasts forever. Nobody in the house will go near it. 2 years of this stuff. I am quite used to it.

Melting a smaller amount of much darker chocolate on your tongue over a longer period takes a little getting used to, but it can give you a really satisfying cholocate ‘hit’, which is much more sustaining than the ‘weaker’ versions 🙂

That is going to depend on what the rest of you carbohydrate intake is for the rest of the day and perhaps what you want to 'trade' for your chocolate.
If you have got your blood glucose increases due to meals in a good range by watching the carbs you are having in a meal then 3 small squares (about 15g ) of chocolate which might be 9g carb may do no harm but not if your meal levels are already high and you don't stop at just that amount. You could have 80g strawberries and cream for only 5g carb, I know what I would rather have.

Skinny chocoholic spread might help. Don't know what it taste's like. I would just go and have a tablespoon of nuttella. If your using being a chocoholic as a euphemism try the above. If you are truly an addict, the only solution is abstinence. I.e. give it up like quitting smoking.

How do I work out my carbohydrate value I am no good at maths and struggle with figures can you help thanks
I'm not quite sure what you are asking - if it is the amount of carbs in a serving of a particular food you need to know the percentage of carbs in the food and the weight of the portion.
If a food is 10 percent carbs and you eat 20 gm of it, then that will be 2 gm of carbs. The way to work it out is that the percent means 100 - so 100 gm of the food has 10 gm of carbs, one gram of the food will have 0.1gm of carbohydrate in it, so 20 times that is 2.

How do I work out my carbohydrate value I am no good at maths and struggle with figures can you help thanks

Your blood glucose meter will help guide you to what’s the right daily amount of carbs for you. It’s an individual thing.

What would an average day’s food be for you at the moment? If you can post that, you’ll get some tailored suggestions to reduce carbs.

I love chocolate too. I’m Type 1 so can eat it, but even so I have to limit what I buy because it just ‘calls to me’ from the cupboard. You might find it easier to avoid it altogether. You could have a hot drink instead, or a spoonful of peanut butter, or something savoury like olives, cheese, nuts, etc.

Your blood glucose meter will help guide you to what’s the right daily amount of carbs for you. It’s an individual thing.

What would an average day’s food be for you at the moment? If you can post that, you’ll get some tailored suggestions to reduce carbs.

I love chocolate too. I’m Type 1 so can eat it, but even so I have to limit what I buy because it just ‘calls to me’ from the cupboard. You might find it easier to avoid it altogether. You could have a hot drink instead, or a spoonful of peanut butter, or something savoury like olives, cheese, nuts, etc.

At the momment my day consists of ceral for breakfast usually oats so simple porridge for lunch a sandwich of cheese or ham. Evening meal maybe salmon with rice. Up until now had alot of junk food

At the momment my day consists of ceral for breakfast usually oats so simple porridge for lunch a sandwich of cheese or ham. Evening meal maybe salmon with rice. Up until now had alot of junk food

Ok, so cutting out the junk food will have helped 🙂 That’s a good start. How is your blood sugar on your new diet?

It's high at the momment been in range of 20.8 to 10

Right, so you might want to look at reducing your carbs slightly. Many Type 2s like Greek yoghurt with berries and seeds for breakfast, or an omelette. For lunch, you could have an open sandwich (topping on one slice of bread) with salad, or cold meat and salad. For your evening meal, try cauliflower rice with your salmon.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back