Child diagnosed with type 1

Status
Not open for further replies.
Relationship to Diabetes
Type 2
Hi guys,
Are there any specific guides I can in print for my Niece who has been diagnosed as type 1. the Diabetes Uk website is not very understandable, or that may be me lol ,,

Hi guys,
Are there any specific guides I can in print for my Niece who has been diagnosed as type 1. the Diabetes Uk website is not very understandable, or that may be me lol ,,

How old is your niece @flybynight200000 ? If she’s an adult, she could join this forum - it’s a helpful and supportive place 🙂 If she’s a child, her parents could join.

There’s also a good book about Type 1, which is useful for children, their parents, and adults too despite the title:

Type 1 Diabetes in Children Adolescents and Young People by Ragnar Hanas

I’d second the Ragnas Hanas book - many forum members (of all ages!) have found that very helpful in terms of understanding their T1.

Sorry to hear about your niece @flybynight200000 :(

How old is she? When my kid was diagnosed (age 8) we got all the JDRF info through the hospital as well as a lot of support from the team. we bought the Ragnas Hanas book and referred to it a bit at the beginning for things like coping with illness etc. I also read most of Think Like a Pancreas which helped me get my head around the general understanding of what diabetes is and how to manage it. Most useful has been the carbs and cals book although some people prefer the app. Childhood diagnoses usually comes with a lot of info and support so they probably won’t need additional resources.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back