Chemotherapy and diabetes

Status
Not open for further replies.
My BC nurse has been completely unsupportive. She had a brief conversation with me on the day that I was diagnosed and I have never seen or heard from her since. I have left her a couple of messages but she never contacts me or returns my calls. :( not good.

How awful for you @happydog :(

My BC nurse has been completely unsupportive. She had a brief conversation with me on the day that I was diagnosed and I have never seen or heard from her since. I have left her a couple of messages but she never contacts me or returns my calls. :( not good.
Really sorry to hear that. I do hope you will find a satisfactory resolution soon.

Thank you everyone for your support. I guess I have to give the metformin a go. I have been very fortunate in having so few side effects from the chemo so far. I have two more strong treatments followed by three less so. If things are not good next time I will make a huge fuss.

Yes, I was thinking that you might be in a position where you had to at least give the Metformin a go for one session, even though we know it is unlikely to have any noticeable effect. I hope that you have accepted the offer of a referral to the diabetes clinic through the oncology, even if it takes a few weeks. It make be helpful for future treatments, but clearly timescale wise you are not going to get anywhere before the next one and maybe it will help to get your GP on side if you try the Metformin, but do keep records of your testing throughout the period so that you have evidence to show it didn't work effectively.... although I really hope for your sake I am wrong and it does stop your levels going so high.

Thank you Rebrascora. The medical profession stick together and I understand why. I will give it my best shot but no doubt there will be high BGs. Since chemo started 8 is the lowest that I have had :( Thank you for your good wishes and suggestions.

I hope it all goes well @happydog and your BG behaves. Story to hear your BC nurse isn’t up to much. Sending ((hugs)) and positive vibes!

So sorry to hear you are having chemo Happy dog. Not great trying to manage these things together. I have been (and still am) having chemo for most of the past three years and my sugar levels always go high with my chemo and steroids. My diabetes nurse is brilliant and I review with her and my gp regularly when on treatment. I am lucky they are not overly concerned as they can see the pattern of highs for the steroid days then my levels reduce back. I still have two more rounds of chemo before a break so my levels should hopefully stabilise for a while before the inevitable next course of drugs. I hate the ups and downs all the time and managing the cancer and diabetes together can be challenging sometimes. Stress doesn't help but it is hard not to worry. Hope your treatment goes well for you.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back