Checking level when driving

Status
Not open for further replies.
Eating an apple while driving is illegal, but lighting and smoking a cigarette is not.
Unless there are children in the car when it is now illegal to smoke.

But I thoroughly agree with the general principle of that being the wrong way around - if you are eating an apple or even sipping water and you see something ahead which means that you need both hands, there is minimal harm if you drop the apple or water so you're likely to do so if needed. If you were to drop a lit cigarette then you are risking setting yourself and/or the car on fire which is far more dangerous and distracting!

Tyre pressure is exactly the same. You don’t rely on a warning light coming on to tell you that there’s a problem, you check them before long journeys and top up at appropriate intervals.
So, what happens if you have a slow puncture whilst driving? You can hardly expect Mystic Meg to appear before you start your journey, can you? 🙂
My sensor is set to alarm at 5 so obviously I would have no symptoms of a hypo at that level, yet it gives me warning to keep an eye open for any further drop.

We've just driven to Italy and back via the German Autobahns in a very fast car, so keeping my BS level within limits was vital.
Using the Free Libre 2 system makes it entirely safe and I too set the alarm at 5 to give enough margin above the driving limit of 4. I also make sure my level is high enough, never to go down anywhere near 5, by taking at least one glucoze tablet ( convenient packs bought from Lidl ) before starting off. I also take one when taking a break en route, if the reader tells me I'm hovering anywhere lower than 7. I now keep to that easy and legal regime where ever I drive in the UK.

I'm also a motorcyclist and go on long distance rides with friends ( we went to the Alps during the summer ). That posed different problems because it's necessary to take a lot of gear off to take a sensor reading while on a trip. The new Libre 3 system gives constant monitoring without the need to scan, so that would be a lot easier, but my nurse says its only for Type 1s at present and Abbott won't sell it direct. I looked at the Dexcom system which is readily available and the sensors are cheaper when you are paying for them yourself, but my nurse cannot monitor the output as she can with Libre 2.

Unfortunately neither will work with my Blackview Android phone.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back