Chat with prescribing pharmacist

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sharron1

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 2
What a joy she was. First of she suggested giving statins a go for three months, 20mg Atorvastatin . After 3 months a blood test to see what is going on.

But deep joy, she then queried why I was still taking 4 tabs with my good hba1c. i laughed. We agreed reduce to 3 and see what happens with blood test in Feb.

Ok, brave new world here I am ready.

My diabetes nurse suggested ‘maybe’ coming off my tablets at my next blood test, subject to it still being good of course.

To be honest though, I find that thought a little bit scary so I will have to have a long thing about it. There’s plenty of time, I’m not due another HbA1c for six months.

Congratulations on your continued good results. You must feel fab!!

Thank you. Not sure if I feel great but am more than happy someone had seen the pointlessness of 4 metformin tabs. She also suggested further reduction of Metformin after result of next blood. Like you I will think about it then.

Watch out if you find yourself becoming forgetful - Atorvastatin had a very bad effect on me when I took it along with Metformin for just a few weeks.
My cognitive ability declined so much I was contemplating a care home or suicide as my two choices for Christmas 2016

Watch out if you find yourself becoming forgetful - Atorvastatin had a very bad effect on me when I took it along with Metformin for just a few weeks.
My cognitive ability declined so much I was contemplating a care home or suicide as my two choices for Christmas 2016
Hello @Sharron1 ,

Just to state, Drummer is sharing their experience with the Atorvastatin. If you are worried about the side affects, I would suggest you speak to your health care team.

Many thanks I have read your previous posts and will see what happens As the Pharmacist said iyou have problems you can stop it immediately. Willing to give it a go.

Hello @Sharron1 ,

Just to state, Drummer is sharing their experience with the Atorvastatin. If you are worried about the side affects, I would suggest you speak to your health care team.
Thanks, but I am not worried am willing to see what happens if anything . Will report back!!!

Thanks, that has always been the way I operate. GIve it a go... usually whatever it is!!!

Thanks, that has always been the way I operate. GIve it a go... usually whatever it is!!!
I hope your experience with the statins is the same as I had. Lowered my cholesterol and no dsiceranable side effects.

I hope your experience with the statins is the same as I had. Lowered my cholesterol and no dsiceranable side effects.
Thank you. Time will tell. Tbh I am happier about the reduction in Metformin As, I have noted previously four tabs didn't make any more sense than the nonsense responses I received fron the nurse.

Thank you. Not sure if I feel great but am more than happy someone had seen the pointlessness of 4 metformin tabs. She also suggested further reduction of Metformin after result of next blood. Like you I will think about it then.

Hope you get on fine with the reduced Met experiment @Sharron1

Keep us posted with how things go 🙂

But deep joy, she then queried why I was still taking 4 tabs with my good hba1c. i laughed. We agreed reduce to 3 and see what happens with blood test in Feb.
Excellent news @Sharron1, just what you wanted - and seems a really sensible course of action! Within three months you’ll have your new HbA1c score and they will be able to assess whether to reduce further or stay put at three tabs. Even if the HbA1c went up, it will be easy to go back to the four, and at least you will know they’re doing something for you!

Excellent news @Sharron1, just what you wanted - and seems a really sensible course of action! Within three months you’ll have your new HbA1c score and they will be able to assess whether to reduce further or stay put at three tabs. Even if the HbA1c went up, it will be easy to go back to the four, and at least you will know they’re doing something for you!
Thanks. I suspect a fresh pair of eyes looking at my Hba1c numbers assisted the tab reduction. The Statins thing was also amusing, her coment if they don't agree with you simply throw them away. Ohhh never heard that before.

Thanks. I suspect a fresh pair of eyes looking at my Hba1c numbers assisted the tab reduction. The Statins thing was also amusing, her coment if they don't agree with you simply throw them away. Ohhh never heard that before.
Cool, but I think better advice would be to talk with doc about trying alternative meds. Which is what the NICE guidance says should happen.

The Statins thing was also amusing, her coment if they don't agree with you simply throw them away. Ohhh never heard that before.
That’s excellent, and actually quite sensible - probably because she could see that you care about your health and want to do the right thing. Sounds like she’ll find you an alternative statin if you have problems with them. Hope the tabs reduction works out, I’m watching with interest as I hope I might be in a similar situation in the future!

Cool, but I think better advice would be to talk with doc about trying alternative meds. Which is what the NICE guidance says should happen.
Ta. However talk to a GP in my surgery. You r kidding, impossible unless you have been certified dead x3.

It's even funnier. I am learning about the pecking order in the surgery. At the top is the GP who delegates to surgery nurses who in turn delegate to Prescribing Practioner. Hilarious. Not sure who the PP can delegate to but I guess there must be someone. Needless to add it is all undertaken on the phone with the same time restrictions usually 7-10 mins.

Last edited:
My diabetes nurse suggested ‘maybe’ coming off my tablets at my next blood test, subject to it still being good of course.

To be honest though, I find that thought a little bit scary so I will have to have a long thing about it. There’s plenty of time, I’m not due another HbA1c for six months.

Congratulations on your continued good results. You must feel fab!!
Know exactly how you feel i came off metformin towards the end of September and was v scared Have been testing ever since and seems okay Will be tested again at end of dec/beginning of jan so fingers crossed

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back