Changing post meal levels

• Thread starter Thread starter Deleted member 33898
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
So any food and bolus should have been well out of your system. Bit of a mystery then as it must have been the Levemir.... maybe it was a last kick in the tail? Or remnants of your honeymoon releasing some of your own insulin?

I was going to say that @jazzchicken has only been diagnosed for 5 minutes as yet hence anything could be happening with his own insulin production at the moment - or not happening, as it just so happens to be in his case.

I've never known, with anyone I've ever heard from ever since they invented Levemir, that has even suggested that it seemed to have 'a sting in its tail' - so honestly I think that is MOST unlikely. Much more likely to be Jazz's own pancreas IMHO.

Jazz - Levemir is actually far more 'biddable' than any other basal insulin currently available whether old or newer. You can split the dose of it all sorts of ways to suit your own body. I was fooled into thinking that I needed far less overnight than I did in the day, because when using it I needed 14u on rising and a further 4u at approx 9.30pm ish at night. In fact between after evening dinner and approx 1am, I actually need a far greater amount per hour than I do all through the day so that extra 4u worked up to its mini peak at 11pm onwards plus the dwindling residue of the 14u, was sufficient to get me over my peak need but was dwindling again not long after that so I wasn't going hypo in the early hours, which I was doing when I took the extra 4u at bedtime around 11pm !

That graph incidentally I always found, by upping my screen resolution to 300%, I could much more easily plot lines in between the printed lines, to make plainer sense of it.

@trophywench I never found Levemir to have a sting in the tail either... it was a curve ball and as you say... more likely to be his own pancreas "helping out".

Yes this honey moon period is very sporadic. Or just diabetes in general. Everytime i fix one thing another problem comes along

@trophywench I'd like to make the changes,just not sure where to start with changing the basal. I know it works from breakfast through to late afternoon and then whatever is going on in the evening when the basal should have run out, I tend to drop low while sleeping after taking the single dose at 11pm. Maybe I could try taking less at night and top up a bit in the morning. Taking 6 units at minute, could have 4 before bed and 2 in the morning.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back