Changing Doctors/CGM Area Funding

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lou0791

Relationship to Diabetes
Carer/Partner
Pronouns
She/Her
Hi there! My husband is type 1 and has a CGM on prescription, however we are moving soon and looking at the funding map, the county we’re moving to doesn’t currently have funding for this..

I was just wondering please if anyone knows wether his prescription can be taken away at a new doctors as they don’t have the funding? Or anyone had a similar issue? We have no idea what his rights would be with this and nervous to make the change without knowing a bit more first!

Thank you! ☺️

If he's type 1 he has a right to a cgm(i assume you are in england? Can't speak for anywhere else)...contact nhs diabetes lead partha kar if he's denied, partha will kick off for him on his behalf.

Which cgm does he have? Whilst dexcom 1 and libre 2 are a right, with some of the fancier ones dexcom 6/7 etc you have to make a case.

Hi Lou.

I recently moved from Somerset to Devon and no issues with switching over for me. I have a pump and Libre 2.

I did actually call the care team at Exeter hospital in advance to discuss the move. They were very helpful so might be an idea as well.

Hi there! My husband is type 1 and has a CGM on prescription, however we are moving soon and looking at the funding map, the county we’re moving to doesn’t currently have funding for this..

I was just wondering please if anyone knows wether his prescription can be taken away at a new doctors as they don’t have the funding? Or anyone had a similar issue? We have no idea what his rights would be with this and nervous to make the change without knowing a bit more first!

Thank you! ☺️
How recent is this map you’re looking at? Do you have a link?

Thank you! ☺️
Hello, & welcome. Both you & your husband. I don’t think there will be much of an issue maintaining your husband’s prescription on relocation & signing up with a new GP. The surgery might be more interested in a change in test strips? There might be a “medication review” which is just a meet & greet incorporating that the patient understands the meds prescribed? (Insulin.) Just a formality.

.contact nhs diabetes lead partha kar if he's denied, partha will kick off for him on his behalf.
I’m bemused by this comment. I was also told this by a young T1 whilst I was self funding Libres? On prescription now. Then another relatively young T1 regarding my interest in a pump? (Socially.)
I’m familiar with the “tweets.” But have you had personal assistance from Professor Kar?

I believe Professor Partha Kar has personally advocated for individuals with GPs who were being difficult/tardy about prescribing Libre after the new guidelines came out. It was one of his key missions I believe to ensure that it was available to all Type 1s and he was prepared to get involved in individual cases to accomplish that mission.

If he's type 1 he has a right to a cgm(i assume you are in england? Can't speak for anywhere else)...contact nhs diabetes lead partha kar if he's denied, partha will kick off for him on his behalf.

Which cgm does he have? Whilst dexcom 1 and libre 2 are a right, with some of the fancier ones dexcom 6/7 etc you have to make a case.
Hi! Thanks for replying!

Yes we’re in England, moving to Northamptonshire. I follow Partha on Instagram but didn’t realise you can reach out if having any issues so that’s good to know, thank you!

He has freestyle libre 2, it’s just a bit confusing as the diabetes uk map says Northamptonshire is only partially meeting criteria at the moment, but perhaps this is old info?!

I will give the new doctors a call on Monday and enquire thank you again!

Hi Lou.

I recently moved from Somerset to Devon and no issues with switching over for me. I have a pump and Libre 2.

I did actually call the care team at Exeter hospital in advance to discuss the move. They were very helpful so might be an idea as well.
Ah ok great! That’s positive feedback! ☺️ yes I think it would be wise to call too and see how they can help. Thank you!

Hello, & welcome. Both you & your husband. I don’t think there will be much of an issue maintaining your husband’s prescription on relocation & signing up with a new GP. The surgery might be more interested in a change in test strips? There might be a “medication review” which is just a meet & greet incorporating that the patient understands the meds prescribed? (Insulin.) Just a formality.

I’m bemused by this comment. I was also told this by a young T1 whilst I was self funding Libres? On prescription now. Then another relatively young T1 regarding my interest in a pump? (Socially.)
I’m familiar with the “tweets.” But have you had personal assistance from Professor Kar?

Thank you! I imagine we probably are over worrying and all will be fine, like you said they will likely just want to do a medication review. Think I will call the new gp surgery Monday and enquire, fingers crossed! Thank you for replying

I believe Professor Partha Kar has personally advocated for individuals with GPs who were being difficult/tardy about prescribing Libre after the new guidelines came out. It was one of his key missions I believe to ensure that it was available to all Type 1s and he was prepared to get involved in individual cases to accomplish that mission.
Thanks Barbara! I’ve been following Partha for a while now but didn’t realise until today that he can push for individuals funding, really great to know. Thank you!

Thank you! I imagine we probably are over worrying and all will be fine, like you said they will likely just want to do a medication review. Think I will call the new gp surgery Monday and enquire, fingers crossed! Thank you for replying
It was just a formality for me. If your husband vaguely knows his shtuff. (Not a typo.) It should not be an issue.

Hi! Thanks for replying!

Yes we’re in England, moving to Northamptonshire. I follow Partha on Instagram but didn’t realise you can reach out if having any issues so that’s good to know, thank you!

He has freestyle libre 2, it’s just a bit confusing as the diabetes uk map says Northamptonshire is only partially meeting criteria at the moment, but perhaps this is old info?!

I will give the new doctors a call on Monday and enquire thank you again!
Hi - I live in Northamptonshire and first had Libre prescribed in 2019. I've never had any problem. At the time it had to be done through the Community Diabetes Team but since the new guidance that may well have changed.

Wishing you well with getting Cgm and with the move.

Sorry. I realy love your balance on most posts. But regarding Professor Kar? i can’t help feeling Trump on a “Mexican wall.” As an analogy with the tweets. (For the record, I don’t sit right with Trump.)
I fail to see an equivilence between someone who wants t1s to gave the tech they need to live a full life, and an orange xenophobic, racist, misogenistic, homophobic, etc etc lout.
Partha has done a lot for type 1s. Don't see why that shouldn't be said.

Sorry. I realy love your balance on most posts. But regarding Professor Kar? i can’t help feeling Trump on a “Mexican wall.” As an analogy with the tweets. (For the record, I don’t sit right with Trump.)
Yeah he’s only interested in T1 too, asked for help as a non T1 and told no not his job

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back