CGM

Status
Not open for further replies.

diabeticjohn

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 2
I posted a few months ago about how I'd bought the Dexcom G6 CGM and about how I was gonna keep a blog about it and all that kind of thing. In the months since, I haven't kept up with the blog at all as there was nothing really to write. If I ate well my blood was fine, if I didn't it went high. I think I actually remember another poster mentioning that they hoped it would be pretty boring because that's generally what would happen.

For a few weeks I tried the Libre CGM too, but I didn't really like having to scan with my phone every time.

I definitely liked the "game" of it. And it really did stop me, or at least made me think "do I really want to see that high number if I have this cake/chocolate/whatever". And the numbers don't lie. Before I decided I really had to start taking better care of myself my HbA1c was 75. The next one was 47, and today was 43.

I've been taking:
4 x 500mg Metformin
2 x 40mg Gliclazide
1 x 10mg Empagliflozin

The nurse has suggested I stop taking 1 of the Gliclazides for a while and see how I get on.

I'm also gonna see how I go without the CGM for a bit. As I said, I really did like seeing the consequences of my actions, but at £159/month it's a fair outlay. If I start to find that I can't "behave" without it then I'll re-evaluate. But as it stands I'm feeling pretty positive.

In terms of what I'm eating, as is the case with a lot on here it's pretty much a keto diet, and how I miss bread. I've also stopped drinking beer which was a huge part of my life (and likely a major contributor to why I'm in this situation). I did have one night on the beer with the CGM and I think it almost blew up my phone with the amount of beeps and alerts and the like. Again it made me think of all the times that I'd go and drink 10 pints and a few Jack Daniels n Coke and get a pizza. Without any real idea of what I was really doing to my body.

It'll be inter

I posted a few months ago about how I'd bought the Dexcom G6 CGM and about how I was gonna keep a blog about it and all that kind of thing. In the months since, I haven't kept up with the blog at all as there was nothing really to write. If I ate well my blood was fine, if I didn't it went high. I think I actually remember another poster mentioning that they hoped it would be pretty boring because that's generally what would happen.

For a few weeks I tried the Libre CGM too, but I didn't really like having to scan with my phone every time.

I definitely liked the "game" of it. And it really did stop me, or at least made me think "do I really want to see that high number if I have this cake/chocolate/whatever". And the numbers don't lie. Before I decided I really had to start taking better care of myself my HbA1c was 75. The next one was 47, and today was 43.

I've been taking:
4 x 500mg Metformin
2 x 40mg Gliclazide
1 x 10mg Empagliflozin

The nurse has suggested I stop taking 1 of the Gliclazides for a while and see how I get on.

I'm also gonna see how I go without the CGM for a bit. As I said, I really did like seeing the consequences of my actions, but at £159/month it's a fair outlay. If I start to find that I can't "behave" without it then I'll re-evaluate. But as it stands I'm feeling pretty positive.

In terms of what I'm eating, as is the case with a lot on here it's pretty much a keto diet, and how I miss bread. I've also stopped drinking beer which was a huge part of my life (and likely a major contributor to why I'm in this situation). I did have one night on the beer with the CGM and I think it almost blew up my phone with the amount of beeps and alerts and the like. Again it made me think of all the times that I'd go and drink 10 pints and a few Jack Daniels n Coke and get a pizza. Without any real idea of what I was really doing to my body.

It'll be inter
At that sort of cost I would be using my cheap glucose monitor and a pot of strips. But having the system has obviously been successful for you so good work.

Thanks for the update @diabeticjohn

Glad the tech has worked so well for you - you’ve certainly reacted well to the challenges your sensor glucose presented!

Incidentally there are a couple of different techniques to restart G6 sensors so that they run for part or all of another 10 days - though it sounds like you are taking a break from sensors for a while.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back