CGM

Status
Not open for further replies.
I believe you need to be diabetic to qualify for the free trial and technically, with an HbA1c of 47, the OP isn't and similarly for claiming VAT exemption. Whether there is any checking of this I don't know but very much doubt, so an individual might want to stretch the truth a tiny bit and could probably get away with it.
It sounds as if the last HbA1C was last Oct and if they have not taken any dietary actions since it is quite likely they will be in the diabetic range and qualify.

Hi Sue,
in spite of fingers difficulties you have replied to me, thanks. What is G6. Meena.
The Dexcom G6 is the sensor before the G7. G7 is the newest and it's cheaper than the G6 🙂

The Dexcom G6 is the sensor before the G7. G7 is the newest and it's cheaper than the G6 🙂
YOu can get a month of g6, but really, i think dexcom g6 or 7 is overkill. Possible dexcom one, but i think you do need to commit for 3 months there.
Libre is accurate enough, especially if you are not on meds that cause hypos. I was on it for about a year and it was ok, but it would wake me up with false lows...not an issue if you are not on hypo causing meds as you can turn the alarns of.
You can get around the limited phones with the 'build your own dexcom' app you can get fre
On reddit, but if i were you i'd go for libre or fingerpricking and save your money for fresh, natural, healthy food. End of day, its diet and excercise that will bring those blood sugars down, and monitors etc just give you an idea if what works

G7 is cheaper? Ohh, wonder if the nhs will move G6ers across?

I believe you need to be diabetic to qualify for the free trial and technically, with an HbA1c of 47, the OP isn't and similarly for claiming VAT exemption. Whether there is any checking of this I don't know but very much doubt, so an individual might want to stretch the truth a tiny bit and could probably get away with it.
Thank you for your help, I am still learning the terminology. I am ok with paying for the equipment, and your input has been very helpful.

YOu can get a month of g6, but really, i think dexcom g6 or 7 is overkill. Possible dexcom one, but i think you do need to commit for 3 months there.
Libre is accurate enough, especially if you are not on meds that cause hypos. I was on it for about a year and it was ok, but it would wake me up with false lows...not an issue if you are not on hypo causing meds as you can turn the alarns of.
You can get around the limited phones with the 'build your own dexcom' app you can get fre
On reddit, but if i were you i'd go for libre or fingerpricking and save your money for fresh, natural, healthy food. End of day, its diet and excercise that will bring those blood sugars down, and monitors etc just give you an idea if what works
Hi Sue, I go to gym regularly, and my bmi and waist is fine, and, I eat mainly organic veg-fruit meat etc. but I cook and eat mainly Indian. I haven’t yet found a low carb/ alternative to chappati. Libre is looking more suitable. False low would have confused me at best and got me worried at worst. But I take your point and might give a finger pricking a go before going for CGM. Thanks for replying to me. Meena.

Thank you for your help, I am still learning the terminology. I am ok with paying for the equipment, and your input has been very helpful.
There are a few available, with the cheapest recommended ones being Libre 2 and Dexcom One. There are two others around the same price but they've not been as well received (and are no longer available on prescription in the UK, probably on request from the manufacturers).

Dexcom G7 is a bit more expensive but has some extra features. Libre 2 is just sensors (so you can use one, then a month or two later use another one, as you wish); Dexcom One needs a transmitter too (which last 3 months), so it's a bit more complex. (Not a problem if you're using it all the time, of course.)

Hi Sue, I go to gym regularly, and my bmi and waist is fine, and, I eat mainly organic veg-fruit meat etc. but I cook and eat mainly Indian. I haven’t yet found a low carb/ alternative to chappati. Libre is looking more suitable. False low would have confused me at best and got me worried at worst. But I take your point and might give a finger pricking a go before going for CGM. Thanks for replying to me. Meena.

Have you tried a low carb roti recipe? There are a few, mainly using almond flour, eg:

https://spicecravings.com/keto-roti

There are a few available, with the cheapest recommended ones being Libre 2 and Dexcom One. There are two others around the same price but they've not been as well received (and are no longer available on prescription in the UK, probably on request from the manufacturers).

Dexcom G7 is a bit more expensive but has some extra features. Libre 2 is just sensors (so you can use one, then a month or two later use another one, as you wish); Dexcom One needs a transmitter too (which last 3 months), so it's a bit more complex. (Not a problem if you're using it all the time, of course.)
Have you tried a low carb roti recipe? There are a few, mainly using almond flour, eg:

No I haven’t so far, but will give it a go. Have been speaking to helpline in diabetes.org and have been persuaded not to purchase CMG. So have decided not to go ahead with it. X

Treat yourself to a good home glucose meter and a good finger-pricker instead @Meena You’ll find finger-pricking is ok with the right kit and a little practise 🙂

Hello everyone, I have now decided not to go ahead with CGM, after listening to everyone here and speaking to one of the advisors from Diabetes uk. I wanted to thank everyone here for your support and for sharing your knowledge and experiences.
Thank you.
Meena.

Hello everyone, I have now decided not to go ahead with CGM,
I think that probably makes sense. They're obviously worth the money for those of us who're Type 1 (or other types on similar insulin regimes), but rather harder to justify otherwise because they aren't cheap.

@raaeft1 who I believe is in India and is experimenting with his meals and being guided by finger pricking and his home testing monitor.
This link may give you some ideas for your meals, https://www.lowcarbingasian.com/
Do you cook or is someone else cooking as that can be more tricky to adopt a low carb approach.

I'm 30 days into my Dexcom One now. Had one sensor failure (on my second insertion) where it would not start up and just threw up errors, it was a Sunday but I called the help service and went through a few questions and was told to apply a new sensor and they would send me a new one overnight which they did. I have found that the readings do vary a bit, the first one over-read by about 1.2-1.3 mmol, the second was almost bang on but the third, the one I'm using now is varying between 1.3 and 1.5 mmol above the finger stick. I was a bit concerned after starting up the current one as the readings were way above where the last one left off two hours before by about 2.5 mmol but it settled down after three days to 1.3/1.5 above, I was surprised that it took so long to adjust. I do wish that it had the same ability as the G6 to adjust the readings so I could have more faith in what it's telling me from one sensor to another. The only other issue I've had is where the sensor loses connection with the app even when the phone is only about 3 feet away, thais happens at least twice a day.

I'm Type 2 and don't qualify for a free one as not on insulin so I'm self funding. The reason I did it was that my last HbA1c had risen quite high compared to my last one 6 months ago and my Triglycerides were very high, blood pressure up and HDL down so not good news all round. I've decided to study a more about Insulin Resistance and the ways to mitigate it (Ref: Jesse Chappus/ Robert Lustig on Youtube) and have started a 18:6 fasting routine and severely restricting carbs (under 30g per day), I'm only two weeks into that at the moment and have lost 6kg in what must have been internal fat. It will take about 6-12 months for the fasting to have any real effect on the Insulin Resistance so it's going to be a long haul.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back