CGM

Status
Not open for further replies.

Meena

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 2
Hello, I am wanting to purchase CGM and looking for advice on which model to use. Looking for reliability , ease of using patches and easy to read information. Any advice/ suggestion would be appreciated.
Thanks.
Meena.

I've trialled the Dexcom G7 and it's very good.

Depends what you want it for. If hypos are an issue, dexcom g6 (probably 7 too, dunno, only have g6) has lots of customisable alerts and can be calibrated. Its a bit bulky but very reliable. Can be official worn on arm or belly.

If hypos not an issue and you want a general idea of whats going on, the libre 2 is easy to use and smaller than dexcom G6. Lasts longer than g6 too. I did not find libre 2 very accurate but thst miht just be me. Only authorised for arm.

If moneys not an option, i think the libre 3 is smallest and most accurate of the usual suspects.

Libre 2 is one of the cheapest CGMs and you can subscribe to a 14 free trial.
Some find it is not accurate foe them. Many find it is fine. So the trial is a great option if you have a suitable smart phone.

If you want to get the most out of a CGM, it is important to understand the limitations. It is not a replacement for all finger pricks nor an alternative to finger pricks. It is a fantastic tool to understand what happens between finger pricks.

Reliability, ease of use and ease of reading information is a personal thing. For example, as an engineer, I find all CGMs I have used (Libre, Dexcom 4 and 6 and Medtrum Nano) easy to use. I found the Dexcom app too basic but many like it’s simplicity.
As I mentioned above, reliability is greatly down to understanding the limitations of the technology they all use and finding what suits your body.

Depends what you want it for. If hypos are an issue, dexcom g6 (probably 7 too, dunno, only have g6) has lots of customisable alerts and can be calibrated. Its a bit bulky but very reliable. Can be official worn on arm or belly.

If hypos not an issue and you want a general idea of whats going on, the libre 2 is easy to use and smaller than dexcom G6. Lasts longer than g6 too. I did not find libre 2 very accurate but thst miht just be me. Only authorised for arm.

If moneys not an option, i think the libre 3 is smallest and most accurate of the usual suspects.
Thank you for replying, I found your answer helpful. I am totally in the dark and floundering. It would have been helpful if I could go somewhere and have a look at them before making a decision. I have reading of 47, and 48 is diabetic 2. I am wanting to find the right diet for me as I eat Indian food 5 days a week.

The Dexcom G7 is brilliant, but you’d probably be fine with the Libre. It’s cheaper and as your HbA1C isn’t too high and you’re not on any meds, it should suit your purposes.

Thank you for replying, I found your answer helpful. I am totally in the dark and floundering. It would have been helpful if I could go somewhere and have a look at them before making a decision. I have reading of 47, and 48 is diabetic 2. I am wanting to find the right diet for me as I eat Indian food 5 days a week.

You can find the right diet by looking at what you’re eating now and making some small, sustained changes. Basically, you’re looking at reducing the carbs.

The Dexcom G7 is brilliant, but you’d probably be fine with the Libre. It’s cheaper and as your HbA1C isn’t too high and you’re not on any meds, it should suit your purposes.
Thanks Inka, I was in UCI in Dec 21, and my blood sugar was normal then. In Oct 22 I asked for a test and was told I was pre diabetic with 47. I now want to reduce my levels, but am struggling ( have tons of books on diabetic diet) and so want something that can give me correct readings, as I am scared to use finger pricks as I understand one has to do this multiple times daily. Meena.
Libre 2 is one of the cheapest CGMs and you can subscribe to a 14 free trial.
Some find it is not accurate foe them. Many find it is fine. So the trial is a great option if you have a suitable smart phone.

If you want to get the most out of a CGM, it is important to understand the limitations. It is not a replacement for all finger pricks nor an alternative to finger pricks. It is a fantastic tool to understand what happens between finger pricks.

Reliability, ease of use and ease of reading information is a personal thing. For example, as an engineer, I find all CGMs I have used (Libre, Dexcom 4 and 6 and Medtrum Nano) easy to use. I found the Dexcom app too basic but many like it’s simplicity.
As I mentioned above, reliability is greatly down to understanding the limitations of the technology they all use and finding what suits your body.
Thanks helli, for your very helpful reply. Looks like Dexcom might suit me for reliability and simplicity. I have been eating one meal a day for a No of years and now I have been told to eat 3-4 times a day. I am looking for something that can help me understand in maintaining my levels throughout the day. Price is not the issue. M.

If price isn’t an issue and you’re happy to spend the money, I’d look into Dexcom G7. However, please don’t be nervous about finger-pricking. It’s nothing like accidentally jabbing yourself with a needle. The lancets are very fine and angled and barely break the skin. The finger-pricking devices have multiple settings so you can adjust it to your needs. Nowadays the whole finger-prick testing business is absolutely fine. Yes, you’d have to prick a few times a day initially while you worked out what your blood sugar was doing, but once you get ‘safe’ meals you’ll be able to reduce the testing right down.

If price isn’t an issue and you’re happy to spend the money, I’d look into Dexcom G7. However, please don’t be nervous about finger-pricking. It’s nothing like accidentally jabbing yourself with a needle. The lancets are very fine and angled and barely break the skin. The finger-pricking devices have multiple settings so you can adjust it to your needs. Nowadays the whole finger-prick testing business is absolutely fine. Yes, you’d have to prick a few times a day initially while you worked out what your blood sugar was doing, but once you get ‘safe’ meals you’ll be able to reduce the testing right down.
If your not on insulin, the libre 2 would be fine and lasts 14 days so less messing arould changing it. Its cheaper too.
The dexcom has lots of alerts, but if you are not on insulin you don't need many of these. On libre the reports are also a lot easier to access.
I love my dexcom but given you won't be using many of its features i'd say it would be a bit overkill.

Thanks Sue. I will look into this. what are you using now .
I'm just finishing off the G6 supplies I have before changing to G7 🙂 G6 tends to be about 15mins behind finger poke test. So it took a couple of days to adjust to the real time as in right now with the G7. It's small and easy to insert and very accurate. I'm struggling to use the G6 now due to finger dexterity, compliments of MS.

Rice and breads are all high carb so reducing portion size of those and increasing vegetables will help and avoiding sweet deserts and being careful of tropical fruits.
You may find the book Carbs and Cals World Foods version useful for giving carb values of various portions of a whole range of foods.
If you don't want the expense of a CGM then a basic blood glucose monitor to take finger prick readings will still be useful so you can test the effect of your meals by testing before you eat and after 2 hours where you would be looking for no more than a 2-3mmol/l increase or no more than 8-8.5mmol/l post meal. The are inexpensive on line and a couple with the cheaper test strips are the GlucoNavii or TEE2.
Basing meals on meat, fish, eggs, dairy, cheese, vegetables and salads and fruit like berries with only small portions of high carb foods like potatoes, rice, pasta, bread.

I'm just finishing off the G6 supplies I have before changing to G7 🙂 G6 tends to be about 15mins behind finger poke test. So it took a couple of days to adjust to the real time as in right now with the G7. It's small and easy to insert and very accurate. I'm struggling to use the G6 now due to finger dexterity, compliments of MS.

Hi Sue,
in spite of fingers difficulties you have replied to me, thanks. What is G6. Meena.

Rice and breads are all high carb so reducing portion size of those and increasing vegetables will help and avoiding sweet deserts and being careful of tropical fruits.
You may find the book Carbs and Cals World Foods version useful for giving carb values of various portions of a whole range of foods.
If you don't want the expense of a CGM then a basic blood glucose monitor to take finger prick readings will still be useful so you can test the effect of your meals by testing before you eat and after 2 hours where you would be looking for no more than a 2-3mmol/l increase or no more than 8-8.5mmol/l post meal. The are inexpensive on line and a couple with the cheaper test strips are the GlucoNavii or TEE2.
Basing meals on meat, fish, eggs, dairy, cheese, vegetables and salads and fruit like berries with only small portions of high carb foods like potatoes, rice, pasta, bread.
Hello Leadinglights, I am not too sure how to adress here. Thanks for your reply. I am careful reg my diet and exercise therefore I am surprised at how quickly within 10 months I have gone from normal to 47 prediabitic type2. I am keen on CGM as I am curious and somewhat bewildered. Anyway more imp I am still undecided which CGM to go for. My preference would have been for libra 2 as it is easier to read and patches lasting 15 days but it has been also been mentioned here that it is not as not as reliable.Any suggestion ? Meena.

Different systems work better or less well for different people. It very much seems to depend on your body chemistry. Libre works really well for me and is very accurate for me. Some people find Libre is less reliable for them and the Dexcom system works better. You choice is probably best restricted to these two manufacturers.... there are others but they are less well regarded. I am not sure that the Libre 3 is available in the UK yet to purchase, so it would be the Libre 2 you would be looking at. I am not sure you would qualify for the free trial as you are just below the diabetes diagnosis threshold. It is cheaper than Dexcom and a simpler system because the Dexcom One and the Dexcome G6 both also need a separate transmitter which I believe sort of piggy backs onto the sensor making it bulkier than the Libre. There are also a limited number of phones that work with the Dexcom compared to the Libre, so looking at the phone compatibility list might be a starting point since many people would find needing to change their phone an obstacle to opting for the Dexcom, especially as the G6 and G7 are more expensive than Libre.
I appreciate you say that money is not a problem, but Libre is cheaper at about £50 per fortnight and since you are not yet diagnosed diabetic, you would need to pay the VAT. With Dexcom I think you have to sign up to a package and their sensors just last 10 days but I think the transmitters last 90 days, but once the sensor is started the clock is ticking on the transmitter too, so it isn't like the Libre where you can buy a sensors and use it and then perhaps take a break for a week or two and then purchase another one. With the Dexcom I think you might be committed to 3 months.
Taking all that into consideration, if you really feel you want to try CGM, you would probably be wise to try one Libre sensor and see how it works for you assuming you have a suitable phone and if you feel you are not getting on with the Libre, then try the Dexcom system..... again checking that your phone is on their list.

There is no simple comparison. What works for one person may not work for you, so it makes sense to start with the cheaper option and see how you get on with it

Hello Leadinglights, I am not too sure how to adress here. Thanks for your reply. I am careful reg my diet and exercise therefore I am surprised at how quickly within 10 months I have gone from normal to 47 prediabitic type2. I am keen on CGM as I am curious and somewhat bewildered. Anyway more imp I am still undecided which CGM to go for. My preference would have been for libra 2 as it is easier to read and patches lasting 15 days but it has been also been mentioned here that it is not as not as reliable.Any suggestion ? Meena.
As Type 2 dietary managed I would rather spend the money on good quality low carb food and use a finger prick monitor to find which foods were tolerated but everybody has a different requirement and budget.
They can be very useful to provide evidence for the GP if people feel their medication is not working or they have the wrong diagnosis.
You could apply for the free trial from Abbott as long as you have a compatible phone and see how you get on.

As Type 2 dietary managed I would rather spend the money on good quality low carb food and use a finger prick monitor to find which foods were tolerated but everybody has a different requirement and budget.
They can be very useful to provide evidence for the GP if people feel their medication is not working or they have the wrong diagnosis.
You could apply for the free trial from Abbott as long as you have a compatible phone and see how you get on.
I believe you need to be diabetic to qualify for the free trial and technically, with an HbA1c of 47, the OP isn't and similarly for claiming VAT exemption. Whether there is any checking of this I don't know but very much doubt, so an individual might want to stretch the truth a tiny bit and could probably get away with it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back