CGM Nightmare

Miggs

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 1
Hi All
New person here. anyone on the newish CGM system? I was put onto it, nearly 6 months ago..sorry to say, it's been horrific.
unsure where to start..failed G7 sensors, soo many probs with G7 app. sensors dont pair with Tandem pump. G7 call centre, only open during office hours, Have received conflicting advice from call centre, they speak to you , working from a script, often, we don't understand each other..gosh, I'm at my wits end. Struggling with it, and the negative impact it's had on my every day life. Even Tandem helpline, unable to solve G7 probs. the G7 delivery, has also failed. I feel as if my T1 has been taken over by a highly inefficient corporate company and it's frightening. has anyone else, lost the plot, with cgm/control iQ??:(

Sorry to hear that @Miggs I have a Dexcom G7 and had had the complete opposite experience. I love it! I’ve been using it for a while now and have only had a couple of failed sensors in all that time. I’ve also found the Customer Service excellent.

I use the G7 Receiver, which is brilliant. I do have a pump (Dana i) but I don’t loop with it so I don’t need to pair my sensors with a pump.

Do you log in to your Dexcom account to check when your next lot of sensors are being sent out? Perhaps this is something gone wrong the hospital end? I’ve always got my sensors on time and notifications about the delivery day.

Thank you for your reply, I'm using the dexcom app on my mob..again, it requires you to carry your mob , within 6metres of u at all times? Swimming, sports, dancing, etc? I have public facing role, jobwise, n its being annoying/embarrassing, re talks, when various apps /alarms, despite, me setting to vibrate only, suddenly go off!... I'm confused. You mention a receiver, not app? Maybe, I need to switch, honestly, my life is spent talking to call centres re this newish system...its reduced me to tears..despite being t1 for 40plus yrs. I am glad, you find it helpful..bit of a light to me..unsure how long, I can cope with it. Currently have no pump/ mob info, despite being on phone for hours this eve..unsure what to do..re work tomorrow..n not able to contact G7 ...till tomorrow morning. Can't wait to get rid of it.

No, I don’t use my phone. I only use the receiver. It’s much smaller, lighter and simpler IMO. I only lose connection when I leave it in the house and go to the bottom of the garden.

To me, it sounds like the issue is your phone and/or the app and the loop. My alarms don’t bother me and they don’t ‘contradict’ what I’ve set them to do.

As the G7 is new to being linked to pumps, then perhaps there are teething problems. I don’t loop with my pump. You might find it less stressful not to loop and to control things yourself, just like you’ve been doing for all those years. Your G7 can then be a helpful aide and you wouldn’t have to worry about the whole loop thing.

I’d be hard-pressed to choose between my pump and my G7 if I had to. I love the G7 and it’s honestly changed my life for the better. It sounds like you’ve got too much going on - too much tech, too many connections. That can be stressful.

Sorry to hear you are having such problems- are you running your loop through the phone so both dexcom and pump are connected to it? Which phone are you using?

Sorry you’re having problems. My kid uses G7 and loops with the tandem and it works well for him. We have had odd problems here and there and I know other people have had trouble with G7 so maybe it depends on your phone.

If your Dexcom and pump aren’t linked you can just put in finger prick readings. It will depend how accurate your basal is on the pump as to how much you need to think about maybe running a bit high if the control iq cuts out insulin a lot to stop hypos.

You can take a break from either or both. If you’re finding it frustrating then drop one or both for a week or two (obviously if you take a break from the pump you need to go back to basal injections and that can be a little bit tricky but it’s totally doable) and regain your equilibrium.

I use the G7 to support my MDI. It has been a huge improvement for me from Libre 2.

I have both the receiver and my android phone and each works independently of each other (unlike the messy system with Abbott's readers and phone apps). I probably look at my phone more frequently than the receiver, but for those times when it is inconvenient to have my phone on display the receiver is discrete, small, neat and extremely reliable. The phone catches up with several hours of missed readings automatically and the phone automatically sends all data back to Clarity (the web based analytic software that my Consultant can also see) by WiFi. The receiver needs a cable connection to a laptop or PC for pushing data to Clarity.

My phone can be "glitchy" sometimes. Dexcom have more limited choices of which phones their apps work with. My Samsung A52S phone seems to be one of the models that is borderline for compatibility. Whenever there are android updates I have to wait until Dexcom confirm those updates remain compatible with their app.

I have found Dexcom extremely efficient with their administration. My Hospital funds my G7 and I get quarterly re-supplies of 9 x 10 day sensors well in advance. I would suspect, @Miggs, your Hospital contract is the weak link for your re-supplies. My few G7 sensor failures have been replaced very quickly after a phone call; yes - that phone call can be a bit tedious.

Overall I would fight tooth and nail to stay with what I've got, G7. I had over 50% failures with Libre 2 sensors; at first I thought the Abbott Freestyle Libre tech was badly flawed, but I've mellowed and reckon my body was simply not compatible with Libre 2.

Back