cereals

Status
Not open for further replies.

SilentAssassin1642

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 1
Does anyone else have any issues with cereals?

I mean, obviously chocolate ones arent brill. When I spoke to the nurse about my highs and lows at work, she suggested I try a more slow releasing carb breakfast. So I tried Shreddies. Only to find that my bloods shot up to 18 again 2 hours after eating them.........

So what do I do? Do I change cereal again, or do I inject more? :confused:

me had prob with cereals i had shreeddies other day and 1. they tasted sweet and 2. i had severe indegestion....i hate eating in morn but found wholemeal toast alot better to digest ....just keep trying them but watch out for musleis etc loads of sugar...

Depends what you like Sam (OK, I know you like cocopops!). I eat weetabix which seems to be OK, or toast (seeded batch loaf). Now that the weather is getting a bit chillier I'll probably be back on the porridge soon!🙂

I have wheatabix and seem to have this problem with all cereals. One day I tried taking my insulin 20 minutes before I ate and that seemed to work, but I havent tested every time ive done this.

Depends what you like Sam (OK, I know you like cocopops!). I eat weetabix which seems to be OK, or toast (seeded batch loaf). Now that the weather is getting a bit chillier I'll probably be back on the porridge soon!🙂

COCOPOPS!!!!!! :D

Nurse suggested porridge, but i'm not a fan. Rice krispies seem to be ok, but got so bored of them! :D

One day I tried taking my insulin 20 minutes before I ate and that seemed to work, but I havent tested every time ive done this.

ooooh i might try that tomorrow, see what happens. It usually takes me about 20 minutes to sort myself out anyway!!!

Just make sure you have some cereal and milk left lol. One time recently I gave myself 9 units for weetabix but we had run out of milk to I had to have something else - that's the equivilent of 2 pieces of toast and I cant eat that in the morning! I stopped by costa coffee on the way to work and that seemed to keep me going :D

It was a problem for me with Weetabix, my BGL would shoot up, so I switched to oatmeal and things have noticeably improved. I haven't dared try the likes of Cocopops since I was diagnosed. Maybe one day, if I can get this thing under control I'll be able to treat myself occasionally.

I've moved onto Shredded Wheat (the big ones!) Although as not sure what's going on generally can't comment on them really. I think they are low GI and general goodness just a bit messy to eat!!😛

It could be a timing issue, are you normally back down to where you should be after 4/5 hours? If so maybe bringing forward your injection would be worth a try.

I'm also a fan of the chocolate cereals, but my blood sugars aren't! My cereal of choice is Kelloggs Start, love it! Quite carby but for me it seems to be quite a steady release, I tend to peak at no more than 9/10 about an hour and a half after eating and back down to where I started by lunchtime.

I don't seem to have problems with any cereals/breakfast.

The ones I tend to eat are:

Rice Crispies (2 year old daughter loves these)
Cheerios
Frosties

and I like Special K and Crunchy Nut although not had those for a while.

I sometimes have porridge, toasted bagels (cinamon & raisin or sesame seed) or crumpets if I want a change from cereal.

NiVZ

no problem with frosties?? that's just not fair :D they are yummy, but would send me very high very quickly.

I eat cereal like its going out of fashion, I have the small variety boxes so i dont get bored with one type.
I eat it dry though so no milk adding the BG.
I dont seem to be having any problems with it.

Is it the cereals or is it because your insulin requirements are higher of a morning regardless of what you eat? I say this because my son has to have more inslin with breakfast regardless of what he eats. So perhaps try a different carb/insulin ratio?

Also, perhaps you could try eating cereals for lunch and see if they have the same effect?

Hope you get things sorted. 🙂

Is it the cereals or is it because your insulin requirements are higher of a morning regardless of what you eat? I say this because my son has to have more inslin with breakfast regardless of what he eats. So perhaps try a different carb/insulin ratio?

Also, perhaps you could try eating cereals for lunch and see if they have the same effect?

Hope you get things sorted. 🙂

haha, i can imagine sitting in the staff room at work with a bowl of cereal. That would be the best!!!!!!

Im trying this 20 minutes before eating thing. I've also had more insulin this morning due to waking higher. Hopefully that helps

We are all different, so it is a game of trial and error. To make cereals more interesting try having them with a variety of 'toppings' like yoghurt or fruit. You will find something you like that wont send you too high sooner or later. Because I get bored with things pretty quickly I buy the variety packs with lots of little boxes. They give you information per box and per 100g serving. In the long run it works out cheaper as I heven't got bored before I finish a big box.

Hello,

I also take more insulin in the morning. I get Dawn Phenomenon (rise of BG's upon waking - even without eating) so I use a DAFNE ratio of 2:1, then a 1:1 the rest of the day. (Thats 2 units of fast insulin for 10g of carbs at breakfast, then 1 unit for 10g of carbs the rest of the day)

Most cereals plus milk are around 30-35g of carbs so I take 6-7 units.

NiVZ

Hello,

I also take more insulin in the morning. I get Dawn Phenomenon (rise of BG's upon waking - even without eating) so I use a DAFNE ratio of 2:1, then a 1:1 the rest of the day. (Thats 2 units of fast insulin for 10g of carbs at breakfast, then 1 unit for 10g of carbs the rest of the day)

Most cereals plus milk are around 30-35g of carbs so I take 6-7 units.

NiVZ

I don't wake up high, but do need a lot more insulin in the morning. For example I had 1 weetabix with milk and needed 6 units for it. 7 units would send me hypo about 3 hours later. Morning insulin is at least twice what I need at other times of the day!

Hi salmon puff,

I'm a non-insulin dependent Type 2 so my situation is quite different to yours. However, I've found that all the cereals recommended by the healthcare professionals send my blood glucose levels into double figures - e.g. All Bran, Weetabix, Shredded Wheat, Oatibix, porridge (Oats so Simple), Optivita etc. Most other Type 2s tell me that they have the same problem at breakfast time.

Because of that I've stopped eating cereals and moved to having a grilled/fried in olive oil breakfast - e.g. fried tomatoes and grilled lean bacon with half a slice of toasted Burgen bread - sometimes add a fried egg.

If I ever do have cereal these days, I eat Lizi's Granola - a Low GI nut-based cereal that I buy in Tesco from the Special Foods section where they keep the gluten-free stuff.

I eat cereal like its going out of fashion, I have the small variety boxes so i dont get bored with one type.
I eat it dry though so no milk adding the BG.
I dont seem to be having any problems with it.

It would be interesting to try eating it dry to see if we still get spikes! Im not sure I could eat weetabix without milk though :D

Ive had cereal at different times of the day and im pretty sure I still spike, but havent tested it properly.

oops this reminds me, I took insulin awhile ago so I could have weetabix 😉

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back