Cauliflower Mash

Status
Not open for further replies.

Martin.A

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 2
So glad I tried cauliflower mash. This evening we had a roast chicken dinner and I had cauli mash instead of roast potatoes. Low carb, with most of them being in the stuffing. A few days earlier I had bangers & mash for the first time in months, using veggie sausages and 100g of no-added-sugar baked beans. Low carb again, with most of them in the baked beans. Already tried Shepherd's Pie (twice) and that works a treat, too.

Some old favourites back on the menu, minus the potatoes.

Martin

I tend to roast the cauliflour then into a blender with butter, salt and pepper I now prefer it to potatoes

I prefer cauli mash now instead of potatoes lovely with a little cream cheese and chilli flakes. I’ve also recently discovered swede chips I cut them quite thick, part boil them then pop them in the oven with some spray and salt or garlic and really enjoy them. Having them tonight with burgers for a fakeaway tea

Yes I am also a big cauli fan, particularly with some crushed garlic and white pepper added.
I have found a recipe for using grated cauli as a replacement for rice in a kedgeree so might try that. Also. what used to be one of my favourite dishes pre-diagnosis was paella. I might have a try at making that with cauli instead of rice.
Anyone else tried either of these?

Sounds delicious!

Yes I am also a big cauli fan, particularly with some crushed garlic and white pepper added.
I have found a recipe for using grated cauli as a replacement for rice in a kedgeree so might try that. Also. what used to be one of my favourite dishes pre-diagnosis was paella. I might have a try at making that with cauli instead of rice.
Anyone else tried either of these?
Yes, my wife often makes Kedgeree using Cauliflower Rice. It works very well for that dish - better than it works with a runny curry - because it doesn't soak up sauce as well ae white rice does.

Nasty horrible stuff! Even worse than brussels!

A month ago I would have said exactly the same, always despised cauliflower, so I can’t tell you how surprised I was by cauliflower mash... now i am starting to realise for me it was just how they cooked cauliflower at school which has made me hate it all my life :/

A month ago I would have said exactly the same, always despised cauliflower, so I can’t tell you how surprised I was by cauliflower mash... now i am starting to realise for me it was just how they cooked cauliflower at school which has made me hate it all my life :/
Hi Jon
Good to hear from another cauli-convert. I love the mashed version - fish pie with a caulimash topping for supper tonight.
I did once try the prepared Cauli rice from the supermarket once though and didn't like it - more reminiscent of the school stuff you mention. After Ianf0ster note though I might give it another try in something like a kedgeree.

Yes. Cauliflower rice makes a great paella, and cooks faster than regular rice too!!! Hope you try it and enjoy it!!!

For those who don’t enjoy cauliflower, give celeriac a try.

Had it tonight with our evening meal and liked it. Might use the other half tomorrow for veggie bangers & marsh.

Martin
It’s quite versatile. As well as mash, you can serve it like roast potatoes, chips or even finely grated, cold in salads. I used to eat it a lot but kind of sickened myself with it. I think I might give it another go, soon. Glad you liked it.

I found its nice first time then after that not so encouraging.

It’s quite versatile. As well as mash, you can serve it like roast potatoes, chips or even finely grated, cold in salads. I used to eat it a lot but kind of sickened myself with it. I think I might give it another go, soon. Glad you liked it.

In the past few days I’ve become a born again celeriac afficionado. Cut into thickish chips or small roast potato size, well blanched for couple of minutes and then lightly fried for a few minutes with some curry powder. Freeze into portions and roast for 25 minutes. Good substitute for chips and very BG friendly.

Hello There
How do you make cauliflower mash. Is it the same way as you would make mashed potato?
Thanks

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back