Carbs

Status
Not open for further replies.
I was thinking exactly that about Kath's diabetes myself - there are carbs in mushrooms - a cup cooked possibly 8 -10g (shitake are more though) but virtually none in either eggs or cheese. Now I know if I ate 10g of carb without any insulin (cos I don't produce any) it would add 3.0 to my pre-meal reading - so even though I realise T2 doesn't work the same as T1 (IR, metabolic differences and all sorts of other subtle nuances) - your pre and post test result differences just don't sound 'right'.

I was thinking exactly that about Kath's diabetes myself - there are carbs in mushrooms - a cup cooked possibly 8 -10g (shitake are more though) but virtually none in either eggs or cheese. Now I know if I ate 10g of carb without any insulin (cos I don't produce any) it would add 3.0 to my pre-meal reading - so even though I realise T2 doesn't work the same as T1 (IR, metabolic differences and all sorts of other subtle nuances) - your pre and post test result differences just don't sound 'right'.
Are you sure about the mushrooms, my Carbs and Cals say raw mushrooms 120g is 1g carb but fried in butter 0g carb.

Are you sure about the mushrooms, my Carbs and Cals say raw mushrooms 120g is 1g carb but fried in butter 0g carb.
It's not possible to reduce carb content of anything by frying it in anything.

It's not possible to reduce carb content of anything by frying it

anything.
Mushrooms absorb a loy of fat when frying, so 120g of fried mushrooms will be much less than 120g of mushrooms, mmuch of the weight will be the butter, and they will have rounded down.

Last edited:
So are you saying my book is wrong, if so I wonder what else is incorrect.
I didn't mean to do more than point out the problem of taking the statement at face value.
The reason for the discrepancy is probably:
A). Rounding down (in the case of the fried mushrooms but not in the case of the raw ones).
Or B). Not comparing the same variety of mushrooms.
Or C). Not comparing the same weight of mushrooms. e.g. carbs in 120gm raw mushroom (rounded down) may be 1gm, but 100gms might be just less than 1gm - so rounded down would be 0gms.

Some of these figures can be tricky when you get down to very small amounts of carbs, for example with fruit it varies by variety of the fruit and also by the ripeness.

I didn't mean to do more than point out the problem of taking the statement at face value.
The reason for the discrepancy is probably:
A). Rounding down (in the case of the fried mushrooms but not in the case of the raw ones).
Or B). Not comparing the same variety of mushrooms.
Or C). Not comparing the same weight of mushrooms. e.g. carbs in 120gm raw mushroom (rounded down) may be 1gm, but 100gms might be just less than 1gm - so rounded down would be 0gms.

Some of these figures can be tricky when you get down to very small amounts of carbs, for example with fruit it varies by variety of the fruit and also by the ripeness.
I suppose it's always the same with low numbers.

Mushrooms are low carb - they are fungii, between plant and animal and under 1 percent carbs.

I was querying @trophywench comment, in relation to an omelette, there are carbs in mushrooms - a cup cooked possibly 8 -10g (shitake are more though), which surprised me.
I checked on my app and it said 100gm cooked weight shitake mushrooms is 12.3gm carbs. That's a large portion of cooked mushrooms!!!

I checked on my app and it said 100gm cooked weight shitake mushrooms is 12.3gm carbs. That's a large portion of cooked mushrooms!!!
There does seem to a bit of a discrepancy between my (old) book and the app. The book shows normal mushrooms.

Personally I don't worry about mushrooms. They are low carb and that's the important thing. 2-3% difference in figures is neither here nor there and is not going to cause the OP's BG levels to increase by 4-5mmols from the few in a mushroom omelette.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back