Carbs per Day ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

chocks63

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 2
I am new to this website. I have type 2. Trying to bring BS down.
What is considered a good level of carbs per day long term with someone with type 2. I went on very low carb diet in the past 20 - 50g per day. But that did not work for me because constipation was a killer. I guess lack of fiber.
I was thinking 100 - 150g per day long term, does that sound reasonable?
Is carb counting nonsense? just stick to calorie counting to a decent level not sure.

Thanks.

Paul.

The maximum number to make it count as low carb is 130g of carbs a day . Although that is the maximum number some people can tolerate carbs right up to that amount and others can manage 90g of carbs a day

The maximum number to make it count as low carb is 130g of carbs a day . Although that is the maximum number some people can tolerate carbs right up to that amount and others can manage 90g of carbs a day
I was roughly in that range. I will try 90g see what happens, then up it if needed. Thanks.

Need to include lots of fiber with a low carb count.
what is high in fiber but low in carbs? any ideas appreciated.

I was roughly in that range. I will try 90g see what happens, then up it if needed. Thanks.
90g is just an example , some people can tolerate more carbs and others can tolerate less

If you need fibre then making up a sugar free jelly with berries and some coconut flour might help - I whip in some Greek yoghurt as well.
Avocadoes are also good, or psyllium husk sprinkled onto a salad.
Be careful though, sometimes constipation is caused by too much fibre.

If you need fibre then making up a sugar free jelly with berries and some coconut flour might help - I whip in some Greek yoghurt as well.
Avocadoes are also good, or psyllium husk sprinkled onto a salad.
Be careful though, sometimes constipation is caused by too much fibre.
thanks 🙂

And don’t cut carbs by too much in one go. It’s advisable to cut by 1/3rd what you already consume, hold that for a couple of weeks and cut that new level by 1/3rd and repeat.
If you cut too quickly you can cause problems with with vision (I experienced that myself) and sometimes those issues are not reversible (mine sorted themselves out over time I’m pleased to say).

And don’t cut carbs by too much in one go. It’s advisable to cut by 1/3rd what you already consume, hold that for a couple of weeks and cut that new level by 1/3rd and repeat.
If you cut too quickly you can cause problems with with vision (I experienced that myself) and sometimes those issues are not reversible (mine sorted themselves out over time I’m pleased to say).
Good Advice, Thanks 🙂

As regards low carb and constipation, many people myself included find that problem. A fibre supplement REALLY helps. I use a mixture of chia seeds and psyllium husk. Both are available from healthfood shops or online. I buy packets of chia seeds from Lidl. I have a drink every morning with a mixture of these in water with a little Apple Cider Vinegar (ACV) and balsamic and a dash of diet cola (just because I am weird and like the sweet and sour flavour). I add the fibre to a full glass of fluid, stir well and wait a few minutes until the fibre starts to absorb the water then drink it down and follow with another glass of water to swill out any fibre stuck to the glass.
My bowel movements are now consistently the best the have been my whole life and at 57yrs I think that is pretty impressive. An easy daily movement of large well formed floaters....(TMI I know 😱) but they really are "chart toppers" on the NHS healthy poop scale!! :D 😎 It has made a huge difference to my digestive health and I believe gut health is the basis of all good health.

Just something to consider if you can't find a level of low carb which satisfied your BG meter and your gut. You can also sprinkle chia seeds and psyllium husk into soups and stews or over meals like salads. The reason I take it as a drink is to increase my fluid intake which is really important for constipation too and particularly when using these fibre supplements. If you don't drink enough they can make you more constipated because they absorb fluids.

Psyllium husk is the basis of the Fibogel supplement that many older people are prescribed to help keep them regular. It isn't a laxitive, it just provides soluble fibre bulk which travels through the digestive system gently pushing everything else through with it. The chia seeds also provide a great source of Omega 3 fatty acids.

Good advice from Colin there as I also suffered eye issues when I cut my carbs to 70g per day all in one go.
By careful selection of the carbs you do have you can include foods with higher fibre for the same amount of carb.
For example butternut squash instead of potatoes or crackers like oatcakes or ryvita rather than cream crackers. Also cereal like All Bran which you could add to Greek yoghurt and berries or seeds for breakfast.
Making sure you drink plenty of water will also help. Otherwise using a fibrogel product or similar.
Improving your general gut health by having live yoghurt is often beneficial, but your body should adapt to your new way of eating.

As regards low carb and constipation, many people myself included find that problem. A fibre supplement REALLY helps. I use a mixture of chia seeds and psyllium husk. Both are available from healthfood shops or online. I buy packets of chia seeds from Lidl. I have a drink every morning with a mixture of these in water with a little Apple Cider Vinegar (ACV) and balsamic and a dash of diet cola (just because I am weird and like the sweet and sour flavour). I add the fibre to a full glass of fluid, stir well and wait a few minutes until the fibre starts to absorb the water then drink it down and follow with another glass of water to swill out any fibre stuck to the glass.
My bowel movements are now consistently the best the have been my whole life and at 57yrs I think that is pretty impressive. An easy daily movement of large well formed floaters....(TMI I know 😱) but they really are "chart toppers" on the NHS healthy poop scale!! :D 😎 It has made a huge difference to my digestive health and I believe gut health is the basis of all good health.

Just something to consider if you can't find a level of low carb which satisfied your BG meter and your gut. You can also sprinkle chia seeds and psyllium husk into soups and stews or over meals like salads. The reason I take it as a drink is to increase my fluid intake which is really important for constipation too and particularly when using these fibre supplements. If you don't drink enough they can make you more constipated because they absorb fluids.

Psyllium husk is the basis of the Fibogel supplement that many older people are prescribed to help keep them regular. It isn't a laxitive, it just provides soluble fibre bulk which travels through the digestive system gently pushing everything else through with it. The chia seeds also provide a great source of Omega 3 fatty acids.
Great idea, Thanks 🙂

Forgot to say the Book/ app Carbs and Cals is useful for giving to the carbs, fibre content of a whole range of foods. It does allow you to easily compare before you go to the shops.

Good advice from Colin there as I also suffered eye issues when I cut my carbs to 70g per day all in one go.
By careful selection of the carbs you do have you can include foods with higher fibre for the same amount of carb.
For example butternut squash instead of potatoes or crackers like oatcakes or ryvita rather than cream crackers. Also cereal like All Bran which you could add to Greek yoghurt and berries or seeds for breakfast.
Making sure you drink plenty of water will also help. Otherwise using a fibrogel product or similar.
Improving your general gut health by having live yoghurt is often beneficial, but your body should adapt to your new way of eating.
Yes When I went to 20g carbs per day once , Eye sight went very bad and I felt awful. Some great advice 🙂

Forgot to say the Book/ app Carbs and Cals is useful for giving to the carbs, fibre content of a whole range of foods. It does allow you to easily compare before you go to the shops.
I using myfitnesspal.com website which is free and has good info 🙂

You do not mention whether you have a home blood glucose monitor as if not that would be a good investment that would enable to to test if you can tolerate various foods and where your carbs per meal limit might be.
There are a couple of monitors people recommend if you are interested.

You do not mention whether you have a home blood glucose monitor as if not that would be a good investment that would enable to to test if you can tolerate various foods and where your carbs per meal limit might be.
There are a couple of monitors people recommend if you are interested.
Yes I have one. Hardly use though. I must use it more.
I have SD Free code meter. Not use if its a good one?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back