Carbs Info/Tracker

Status
Not open for further replies.
It is good to have a sensible discussion hearing other people’s views. In the couple of days that I have been here I have learned, and am learning a lot. The comforting thing to know is that we are all different and what one person can tolerate another is unable to. In an odd way it makes you feel normal - if you see what I mean….Anyway, I had a delicious chicken salad with Greek yogurt, grain mustard and lemon juice dressing for dinner this evening. I discovered my love of oranges for dessert, please tell me these are ok!
If testing shows you you cannot tolerate a whole orange (or apple, pear, chocolate biscuit ....) and it is something you really want to continue eating, you may not have to cut it out completely. Try reducing the frequency of eating (once a week or even once a month instead of everyday?) and/or reduce the portion. I never eat a whole orange, pear, apple, peach etc but have 1/4 to 1/2 a fruit depending on size. It helps that I have a non-D OH who is happy to eat what remains, but if I lived alone I could use clingfilm.

I was sorry to read this. I found the recipe on the diabetic recipe link given in an earlier post. I had assumed that as my condition is pre-diabetic, at 18.7g carbs and 226 cals, I could include this on special occasions (birthday etc). I had thought this would be okay on a count of 130g carbs per day. As a newbie maybe I have to rethink all this.
You’ll soon learn that some posters are way too extreme and to ignore their insistence that all carbs should be avoided. There’s an ignore feature that comes in handy for that. Go for try everything and see what works for you, not their extreme avoid everything.

You’ll soon learn that some posters are way too extreme and to ignore their insistence that all carbs should be avoided. There’s an ignore feature that comes in handy for that. Go for try everything and see what works for you, not their extreme avoid everything.
Thanks Lucyr....something else to note and find on the site. It is becoming so clear to me that there is definitely 'no size fits all' on this journey and that I have to find what works best for me.

Thanks Lucyr....something else to note and find on the site. It is becoming so clear to me that there is definitely 'no size fits all' on this journey and that I have to find what works best for me.

Absolutely right @lizzieK

Starting at 130g per day is quite a reduction on the average UK menu. Aiming for that first of all is a great start. As time goes on you can fine tune things depending on whether you are getting the results you are looking for. 🙂

Absolutely right @lizzieK

Starting at 130g per day is quite a reduction on the average UK menu. Aiming for that first of all is a great start. As time goes on you can fine tune things depending on whether you are getting the results you are looking for. 🙂
Thank you @everydayupsanddowns - I am ordering a monitor (there was one mentioned in an earlier post here). It will take so much of the guesswork out of what to eat and what to avoid.
I should mention how grateful I am to all those who have helped me here. It has meant that what was a shock diagnosis has just turned into a new and healthier way of eating…🙂

Last edited:
Hi! Am feeling a bit down after what I thought was a successful week. My main criterion is to control my pre-diabetes but I also need to lose weight, which I understand will help too. I have been tracking carbs, not exceeding 130g per day, but often finding that my calories are rather low. This is probably due to all the fruit and veggies I eat along with lean meats. My point is that I have not lost any weight at all! I really feel that I can’t cut much more from my diet and am not sure how to balance things better. I am afraid to add more carb foods to my daily meals. Some advice would be welcome….

Hi! Am feeling a bit down after what I thought was a successful week. My main criterion is to control my pre-diabetes but I also need to lose weight, which I understand will help too. I have been tracking carbs, not exceeding 130g per day, but often finding that my calories are rather low. This is probably due to all the fruit and veggies I eat along with lean meats. My point is that I have not lost any weight at all! I really feel that I can’t cut much more from my diet and am not sure how to balance things better. I am afraid to add more carb foods to my daily meals. Some advice would be welcome….
Check your protein and make sure you are having enough protein each day. When I was following the BHF diet with a health trainer, I discovered I was eating less than the recommended amount of protein. The next week I increased my protein and lost more weight.

You could add more protein and healthy fats, nuts, eggs, avocado, cheese. Do be careful of fruit as many are quite high carbs.
Sometimes if you are not eating enough weight loss can stall so increasing your exercise might help.

Thanks for the advice. Will certainly try the increase in healthy protein route….watch this space….

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back