Carbs! Fat! Salt!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Northerner

Admin (Retired)
Relationship to Diabetes
Type 1
I had a pizza margherita last night. I looked at the label and it seemed OK...until I realised that the figures quoted for a HALF pizza - who on earth eats a half pizza? Anyway, I dosed accordingly - wasn't that bad actually, just 14 units. I was a bit worried about the late spike I'd heard about, particularly as it had over 30g of fat in it, but tested and it never happened. I went to bed on 5.8 and woke on 4.8.

Felt like a nice indulgence after many months of avoiding such things. I partly made up for it by not having my usual sweet afterwards - had a sugar-free jelly instead, which was also a nice change.

The pizza was a total of 120g carbs, 33g fat and 3g salt!😱

Hi Northerner

Glad you got to enjoy a pizza without any problems, isnt it nice to buck the trend, I am lucky that I can eat pizza without any problems and without any extra insulin. I make my own.
I buy the base, think it is made by company called Neopolitan, also buy their tomato base, then I add as follows

sliced onion
sliced red and yellow peppers
sliced mushrooms
pieces of ham
pieces of pineapple
pieces of mozzerella cheese

10/15 minutes in oven, then I enjoy because I feel I beat the system.:D

I had the same last night and I must admit im a one that eats half a pizza Northener lol partly down to the fact it was deep pan and i did have a slice of cheesy garlic bread so i know i would not manage a whole hehe, glad it went down wel northey nice like john says to buck the trend

Last edited:
Hi Northerner

Glad you got to enjoy a pizza without any problems, isnt it nice to buck the trend, I am lucky that I can eat pizza without any problems and without any extra insulin. I make my own.
I buy the base, think it is made by company called Neopolitan, also buy their tomato base, then I add as follows

sliced onion
sliced red and yellow peppers
sliced mushrooms
pieces of ham
pieces of pineapple
pieces of mozzerella cheese

10/15 minutes in oven, then I enjoy because I feel I beat the system.:D

John, I much prefer to make my own, so much tastier - and mine would be pretty much like yours! Probably less salt in yours too. It was a bit of an impulse buy and I thought it had satisfied my cravings, but now I want a home made one!🙂

Northerner,
You are so lucky not getting a pizza spike! We have to split the bolus over a couple of hours and even then A goes up to about 15mmols!😱

So now i make my own by using a wholewheat wrap and just add the toppings - it seems to work for him and he doesnt get the high spike - well he can go up to 10mmols - but thats much better than 15!

This is why i am so looking forward to the pump as it should hopefully help with the spiking. He wants me to take him to pizza hut for a treat once he is pumping! Personally i hate pizza and dont know what all the fuss is about!🙂Bev

Hi All ..

Well the last couple of times Nathan has had pizza ... He has managed no spike, had his N/R after finishing his meal, supper reading about 7 and woke up at 5'ish ... I must admit though I do make him the pizza and its not very often he eats them .. but it would certainly be interesting to see what for example a pizza at pizza hut would do .

Heidi
xx🙂

this is making me want pizza hut...

but i feel sick from all the sweeties ive eaten so it probably wouldnt be a good idea 😉

this is making me want pizza hut...

but i feel sick from all the sweeties ive eaten so it probably wouldnt be a good idea 😉

Katie - why have you been eating sweeties? Also, does pizza hut do the nutritional sheet for its pizzas?:DBev

Mmmmm pizza *drools* Love the stuff, make them myself here at home. Student land will prove somewhat different. Hopefully not in a Young Ones style!

I was doing a lot of overtime at work recently and they were getting Pizza Hut pizzas in most nights.

I had to refuse to do any overtime after a while as it was playing havok with my BGs.

The annoying thing is that I was questioned a couple of weeks later as to why I wasn't working the overtime they had asked, like the other members of the team. I told them straight and they have not bothered me since 🙂

Hi Katie ..

Hope you feeling a little better after the trip to the sweetie shop ... .

Thanks for the Pizza Hut Link ... 🙂

Heidi
xx🙂

I took some insulin to cover the sweets and amazingly I was 6.1 by the time I went to bed woo :D Got away with it! 🙂

You're welcome xx

I took some insulin to cover the sweets and amazingly I was 6.1 by the time I went to bed woo :D Got away with it! 🙂

You're welcome xx

Hey thats a fab BG level to go to bed at .... :D .. The main thing is that you enjoyed your treat ... We all need a good indulge in something sweet from time to time ...

Heidi
xx🙂

lol yeah it was amazing, I was expecting to see a 17.something but instead it was 6.1, woo! :D

lol yeah it was amazing, I was expecting to see a 17.something but instead it was 6.1, woo! :D

Hey well done Twin and good Insulin coverage , I usually either under estimate and go sky high or over estimate and hit the floor hehehe oh well we are all on a learning curve daily. Mmm I want sweets now though 🙄

Hey well done Twin and good Insulin coverage , I usually either under estimate and go sky high or over estimate and hit the floor hehehe oh well we are all on a learning curve daily. Mmm I want sweets now though 🙄

It was a complete guess! I thought hmm i'll need alot and that was it, just happened to be the right amount 🙂

No sweet for you twin, youve had cake already!

just joking, have what you want :D

It was a complete guess! I thought hmm i'll need alot and that was it, just happened to be the right amount 🙂

No sweet for you twin, youve had cake already!

just joking, have what you want :D

Hehehe I wish I could but Im being good today as I "may" have a little drink or five later lol 😉 plus I cant be bothered going to the off-license to get sweets , Im quite tempted though :D

Hehehe I wish I could but Im being good today as I "may" have a little drink or five later lol 😉 plus I cant be bothered going to the off-license to get sweets , Im quite tempted though :D

hehe you should see the tradtional sweet shop, you wouldnt be able to resist! they have allll the old ones that they used to sell when we were little :D

enjoy your drinks. ive already had enough this weekend!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back