Carb portion sizes?

pjgtech

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 2
Hi, after my 12 week total diet replacement, I will want to maintain a lower carb diet, and I read lots on here about 50g, 100g, 150g portion sizes, etc. Where can I get some good reliable info on what a good low carb portion would be? Is there a website?
Also, how do I know how many g are in a portion, eg: what size portion is half a baked potato, or a small portion of pasta, or a toasted slice of bread? etc....
Any info gratefully received, as I am on a steep learning curve here...! Cheers

There are several apps you can use, and the book....carb and calorie counter......very useful book. I have used it lots since starting .

Low carb is anything under 130g carbs a day @pjgtech Lots of carbs are on the packet eg of sliced bread or cereal or pasta. Just make sure you have a good set of digital scales so you can weigh your foods.

Google can help you with carb amounts but make sure you’re looking at U.K. sites because the US use a different way of counting. Also, make sure you look at whether it’s cooked weight or raw weight.

There are several apps you can use, and the book....carb and calorie counter......very useful book. I have used it lots since starting .
Cheers, I will have a look thanx. 🙂

Is it this one? cheers

carb and cal counter book.jpg

Is it this one? cheers

View attachment 31812
I am also using the book to help with regulating carb consumption. Portion sizes photos really useful and stop hubby overloading plate. We make most of our food from scratch, so we don't often have food labels to check. The lists of food values helps too. I am currently manually adding the carbs value to my own recipes for future use.

@pjgtech You might find it easier to avoid trying to eat small amounts of high carb foods and eat a normal portion of something with fewer carbs than foods made with grain, or starchy veges.

Just bought a copy of the book, cheers.

Just bought a copy of the book, cheers.
I found that was and still is my bible when first diagnosed as it did allow comparison of different foods and I could easily see that I could have twice the portion of one thing for the same carbs as another which would have seemed very skimpy on the plate. A set of digital kitchen scales are useful as well.
I found this link really helpful as their menu plans are aiming at no more than 130g carbs per day which is what is considered low carb. https://lowcarbfreshwell.com/

I am also using the book to help with regulating carb consumption. Portion sizes photos really useful and stop hubby overloading plate. We make most of our food from scratch, so we don't often have food labels to check. The lists of food values helps too. I am currently manually adding the carbs value to my own recipes for future use.
That's a good point about portion sizes: when I got the book after being diagnosed with Late Onset Type 1 I was shocked how many carbs are in even quite small portions of some foods 😱.

That's a good point about portion sizes: when I got the book after being diagnosed with Late Onset Type 1 I was shocked how many carbs are in even quite small portions of some foods 😱.
Particularly when you compare to the portion size of chips, jacket pots, pasta, and rice normally served in a pub.

I felt quite robbed when I looked at portion size for lasagne to keep the carbs down. I love lasagne and salad but used to have a fairly generous portion. I must admit that I am now getting used to less pasta and potatoes and don't feel hungry all the time anymore

Also, how do I know how many g are in a portion, eg: what size portion is half a baked potato, or a small portion of pasta, or a toasted slice of bread? etc....

Carbs and Cals was a great recommendation. Very handy that you have not just the per-100g information, but also the photos of various portions, which can help with estimating in the future

I felt quite robbed when I looked at portion size for lasagne to keep the carbs down. I love lasagne and salad but used to have a fairly generous portion. I must admit that I am now getting used to less pasta and potatoes and don't feel hungry all the time anymore
Rather than putting in sheets of pasta, make the sauce dryer and use a big leek. Cut off top and bottom and split down one side of the tube, dip the sheets in hot water, then drain lying them flat. Use the skinny middle of the leek in the sauce.
The sauce needs to be dryer as the pasta isn't there to soak up the liquid.
I use chopped cauliflower instead of rice for curry, swede instead of potato in bubble and squeak - its really not much different in concept, just means the difference between type 2 and normal.

Rather than putting in sheets of pasta, make the sauce dryer and use a big leek. Cut off top and bottom and split down one side of the tube, dip the sheets in hot water, then drain lying them flat. Use the skinny middle of the leek in the sauce.
The sauce needs to be dryer as the pasta isn't there to soak up the liquid.
I use chopped cauliflower instead of rice for curry, swede instead of potato in bubble and squeak - its really not much different in concept, just means the difference between type 2 and normal.
Thanks, I will try the leek in lasagne. I like cauliflower in curry rather than as an accompaniment. I already substitute celeriac,swede or turnips for potatoes depending on the dish. Luckily I like most veg and I am willing to experiment

I've tried leek in a lasagne, it works well, does not really taste "leeky", as the sheets almost melt away and go very soft.
Its a good replacement for pasta in this particular dish or any that uses pasta sheets. 😉

Just had my Carb and Cals book delivered, so thats my little light reading for the next couple of days, Lol.
Looks very informative though.... 😎

Back