Can't do this diabetes thing

Status
Not open for further replies.
I’m happy to heart this. Been thinking about you all day.
Diabetes is horrible and I hate hearing about a new person with it.
You will feel better once your levels are lower, I am so irate and angry if my levels are high, it’s not who I am at all.
Please take care. We are here for you x

Ah that’s great Trev. thanks for being honest and real with us. And thanks for the update too!

And so pleased that you have found a way to start taking small steps forward. The helpline team are great!

So good to read your update @CoventryTrev
Keep taking those small steps, and keep in touch.

I finally have an appointment with my diabetes team at the local hospital!
Having a whinge to my gp and practice nurse must have worked! Have to wait until the end of November but having a date is better than not having one.

So pleased you at least have a date to work towards. It gives you a little glimmer of light in the darkness. Do come and visit the forum regularly for support and if you have any particular difficulties, we should be able to suggest things you can try. It is all really difficult to begin with but gradually you start to see patterns and figure out little tweaks that work for particular circumstances. It is a huge learning curve though and without education and appropriate support it is really tough. Many of us have found that you need to be proactive in gaining knowledge and be prepared to experiement on yourself to see what works.... always erring on the side of caution and being prepared to treat any hypo that might sneak up on you. The more you know before you get to that appointment, the more you will get out of it. The BERT1E online course is a good option for getting some background knowledge and you can take it at your own pace.

Had a really good appointment with my diabetes nurse at the GP surgery yesterday. We've increased my Lantus to 14 units at night and I've decided to try and learn to carb count.
She suggested buying a book called Carb & Calorie counting. So I've ordered the book on Amazon but has anyone used this book?
Touch wood, my numbers have been good since yesterday evening with no hypers!

Just getting your basal insulin dose right can make a massive difference to trying to balance your levels and feeling less frustrated with it all, in fact, feeling frustrated with my diabetes is the first indication that my basal doses (I take a twice daily basal insulin) need looking at and tweaking. I used to resist increasing my basal insulin, but I am slowly learning to spot when the dose is wrong and it is amazing how just 1 unit can make such a massive difference both to my levels but also my mental anguish.
Can't comment on the book I'm afraid as I have no experience of it but hope you continue to have more stable levels and good luck with the carb counting. Please don't be put off by it all seeming a bit complicated at first, you will soon be eyeballing a plate of food and just "knowing" roughly how many carbs are on it.

She suggested buying a book called Carb & Calorie counting. So I've ordered the book on Amazon but has anyone used this book?
I guess that's Carbs & Cals (or one of that family)? And yes, lots of us have used it (and, at least before the change in pricing, the mobile app). It's really handy for getting an idea of what common foods in commonly eaten amounts are likely to work out at.

Had a really good appointment with my diabetes nurse at the GP surgery yesterday. We've increased my Lantus to 14 units at night and I've decided to try and learn to carb count.
Touch wood, my numbers have been good since yesterday evening with no hypers!
I find apps are more useful than books as I have it with me

My favourite is nutracheck. You can try it free for a week.

Other options are carbs and cals (think this costs) or my fitness pal (used to be free, not sure if still is, but I find it too American)

I find apps are more useful than books as I have it with me

My favourite is nutracheck. You can try it free for a week.

Other options are carbs and cals (think this costs) or my fitness pal (used to be free, not sure if still is, but I find it too American)
I use the carbs and Cals app, I find that easier than a book.

Sounds more positive. Once you get the hang of carb counting you will be able to do it quite easy.
Get some kitchen scales too

I can only echo what others are saying as quite possibly many of us have been through our own frustrating journeys. I found the Diabetes UK helpline invaluable when I needed to off load what was in my head so I could make sense of it. Appointments can be hard to get, but never give up. If you are able to accept a cancellation at short notice let them know as could make a difference. There are so many people here that are very supportive and are able to help with information.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back