Cancelled appointments

I don't think I've seen a consultant. The nurse did general tests at diagnosis appointment in June, and, after requesting for more support, I was told to go and see the diabetes nurse in one of their branches (a 30-minute walk each way, but that's my exercise done for that day). She didn't do any tests. I discovered the NHS path to remission here and, again after pushing for it, got referred to it. When the time for my HbA1c came, the GP didn't want me to have it for another 3 months, but I complained until I got it done. I thought it was because I'm type 2, but other people in the thread are too, so there we are... I've just finished the second week of the programme, but I'm not holding my breath for care after being released to the real world again. Luckily I have you guys and, so far, I'm doing well on management, so didn't have to make a fuss yet!

I don't think I've seen a consultant. The nurse did general tests at diagnosis appointment in June, and, after requesting for more support, I was told to go and see the diabetes nurse in one of their branches (a 30-minute walk each way, but that's my exercise done for that day). She didn't do any tests. I discovered the NHS path to remission here and, again after pushing for it, got referred to it. When the time for my HbA1c came, the GP didn't want me to have it for another 3 months, but I complained until I got it done. I thought it was because I'm type 2, but other people in the thread are too, so there we are... I've just finished the second week of the programme, but I'm not holding my breath for care after being released to the real world again. Luckily I have you guys and, so far, I'm doing well on management, so didn't have to make a fuss yet!
You are highly unlikely to see a consultant as a Type 2, especially if you are not on insulin, if you look back in this thread there is just one who saw a consultant and they don't any longer. When I was started on insulin I was transferred from GP/surgery nurse care to hospital clinic, though very rarely saw the consultant himself. When I moved to this area in 2011 that changed and it was back to seeing a nurse at the GP surgery only.

You are highly unlikely to see a consultant as a Type 2, especially if you are not on insulin, if you look back in this thread there is just one who saw a consultant and they don't any longer. When I was started on insulin I was transferred from GP/surgery nurse care to hospital clinic, though very rarely saw the consultant himself. When I moved to this area in 2011 that changed and it was back to seeing a nurse at the GP surgery only.
I'm ok with this. Particularly given the horror descriptions above from Type 1 patients, who need it but don't get it. Having said that, it'd be nice to have more knowledgeable support all around as a starting point, regardless of diabetes type.

Back