Can the weather affect BG?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Laura22

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 1
Over the last few days I have had ALOT of hypos.

It's really starting to bug me now and my friend suggested it may be down to the hot weather we've been having.

Could this be true?

My simple answer would be yes I have had a few more hypers lately then i would like and i suspect it has to do with the weather and it has happened before, like last year when we had that week or so with hot weather i was the same.I just wanted to say something else about the hot weather and that is us diabetics can take a lot longer to heal so please all take care while out in the sun and slap on the sun cream we dont want anybody been severly sunburnt x

I know I take alot longer to heal than other people! And I have the Factor50 on my chest of drawers waiting to go!

I'll make sure I have a stock upon Lucozade etc for all these bloomin' hypos! Had one at 5:20am.. I was 2.6mmol! Just hope it cools down a tad soon!

I know I take alot longer to heal than other people! And I have the Factor50 on my chest of drawers waiting to go!

I'll make sure I have a stock upon Lucozade etc for all these bloomin' hypos! Had one at 5:20am.. I was 2.6mmol! Just hope it cools down a tad soon!

According to the weather the week coming is going to be alot cooler.Fingers crossed for at least some breeze in the air at the moment they is none.

According to the weather the week coming is going to be alot cooler.Fingers crossed for at least some breeze in the air at the moment they is none.

Ahh that's good to hear. Hopefully if my BG IS being affected by the sun, it will setlle down again 🙂

Over the last few days I have had ALOT of hypos.

It's really starting to bug me now and my friend suggested it may be down to the hot weather we've been having.

Could this be true?

Heat can increase the absorption of insulin, so you use it more efficiently which can then mean hypos. A lot of people find their insulin needs decrease when the weather's hot.

Heat can increase the absorption of insulin, so you use it more efficiently which can then mean hypos. A lot of people find their insulin needs decrease when the weather's hot.

I was about to post the above and is all true....several years ago i had a bad hypo in my old job and i had a paramedic come out to me. He said exactly that insulin absorbs a lot quicker in the heat and i too have found over the last couple of days my BG drops and i need less insulin in this darn heat.

Today I've been finding that I can't get things below ten. I can't work out why.

Tom

Today I've been finding that I can't get things below ten. I can't work out why.

Tom

As they say, no 2 diabetics are the same. It is very strange how it all affects us so differently though.

And I have the Factor50 on my chest of drawers

Soz, I know this is a serious subject, but I did laugh when I read that line - I'm sure you're chest of drawers is grateful that you're protecting it from sunburn so well ................ :D :D

xx

As they say, no 2 diabetics are the same. It is very strange how it all affects us so differently though.

Could be due to the fact I haven't got my basals right yet but last night I was out on the beach with some quality company and a few cigars. Need I say more?

Tom

The weather affects us all differently as we are all different. It certainly makes insulin absorption more efficient.

For peace of mind keep testing, that way if it is caught early enoguh, a hypo is unlikely to get really low.

I would also like to second Steffs advice to protect your skin. use a good quality sunscreen while you're out in it, replenishing it regulalry, and moisturise or use an good quality after sun sun when toy come in again.

Could be due to the fact I haven't got my basals right yet but last night I was out on the beach with some quality company and a few cigars. Need I say more?

Tom

Lol....nice! :D

as a child, on particularly hot days, i was kept inside due to the risk of me going low because of the insulin absorption thing.

i use factor 50 any time the sun peeks out. i turn into a lobster if i don't.

yep i think so , definatley the weather! , just had a hypo of 2.7 and had no lucosade in the house had to have a hypostop that was at the back of the fridge yuk! and never ever try to eat chocolate digestives when hypo in the hot weather your hands shake while u try to eat them the chocolate melt and you drop them on the floor!

I've had hypos pretty much all day today except for 8am when I was 11.7 and 10am when I was 7.1! And what's worse is I've not felt hypo so not really corrected them!

Even eating my dinner (had a BBQ and had Pitta Bread burgers) and meat (which I do know is fairly carb free), I was still 3.8mmol when I had my pudding (strawberries and cream with splenda)!

I might have to look at reuducing my NovoRapid at mealtimes. I'm fed up! I thought my meter was faulty so I took a seperate test on my Contour earlier. One said 3.8 and the other 4.2 so there wasn't much difference. But I didn't feel it!

Even eating my dinner (had a BBQ and had Pitta Bread burgers) and meat (which I do know is fairly carb free), I was still 3.8mmol when I had my pudding (strawberries and cream with splenda)!

I might have to look at reuducing my NovoRapid at mealtimes. I'm fed up! I thought my meter was faulty so I took a seperate test on my Contour earlier. One said 3.8 and the other 4.2 so there wasn't much difference. But I didn't feel it!

sometimes i find if i've been dropping gradually, i don't feel it as much as when i drop quickly, that could be the case if you didn't feel it?

Maybe. I went to Dunelm with my Mum earlier (being the idiot I am I didn't take my meter as I didn't think we'd be as long as we were) and I felt fine then 5 mins later I felt awful!

My meter is now at my side 24/7! lol

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back