Can I ever drink wine again?! Hypo/alcohol issues

Status
Not open for further replies.
@Inka i was able to enjoy it thank you!

I’ve actually started to have evening hypos now - it’s all very strange. My lantus is down to 4 which seems to keep me stable overnight, so that’s great. But my new ‘thing’ is that I’m having hypos in the evening after dinner - quite nasty ones as well where I feel terrible! It’s only been happening the past week, but I’m using the 1:10 Novorapid carb ratio that I’ve used since diagnosis and I’m having hypos about 2/3 hours after dinner. No idea why this is happening, but I have my 3 month checkin with the diabetes team next week so hoping they can help me out! Maybe need to reduce my Novorapid with dinner?

Yep, change your ratio. I’d say 1:10g was at the higher end of ratios anyway for a recently diagnosed person. If they’re nasty hypos, personally I’d go 1:12g or even 1:14g. Repeated hypos like that are horrible, and sometimes it’s nice to avoid the risk of going too low (as well as safer).

It’s possible the external insulin has allowed your remaining beta cells to recover a little temporarily and so they’re contributing more insulin. It happened to me, and it happened quite fiercely to a friend who was diagnosed just before me.

Once you’ve eliminated those post-evening meal hypos, you might want to look at your other meal ratios too.

Yep, change your ratio. I’d say 1:10g was at the higher end of ratios anyway for a recently diagnosed person. If they’re nasty hypos, personally I’d go 1:12g or even 1:14g. Repeated hypos like that are horrible, and sometimes it’s nice to avoid the risk of going too low (as well as safer).

It’s possible the external insulin has allowed your remaining beta cells to recover a little temporarily and so they’re contributing more insulin. It happened to me, and it happened quite fiercely to a friend who was diagnosed just before me.

Once you’ve eliminated those post-evening meal hypos, you might want to look at your other meal ratios too.
The way i calculated how much insilin i needed in the early days was..take the number of carbs for the meal. Add the number you look to correct the hypo. Compare this amount of insulin you took and adjust to get a more accurate ratio.
I find the ratios i use differ from breakfast to the rest of the day, also between work and none work days.
If you are ok with the sameyness of it, it can be helpful to have the same breakfast / other meal until you smash it.
Also, may be worth using the same rough injection area (eg thigh,tummy, legs) as for me some areas work quicker than others.

I also find that insulin is absorbed a bit more quickly in my lower abdomen so I factor that into my thinking. Also, to prevent overuse of specific injection sites I keep a little slip of paper in my diary and mark off each site as I use it (see attached)

Attachments

• BF78756E-1385-4A5E-8722-756891133D6A.jpeg
    BF78756E-1385-4A5E-8722-756891133D6A.jpeg
    35.2 KB · Views: 8

I work in one direction over an area and mark each injecton site with a biro circle so i know where i have been..not recommended if you swim!

Site rotation is important, but I draw the line (!) at marking myself with biro. It’s not necessary as long as you make sure you don’t keep using the same site 🙂

Thank you everyone for your advice - I honestly have found this forum a lifesaver!!

@Tdm I have been having the same breakfasts and lunches since diagnosis and have found this SO useful as you suggested. Knowing that I know what to do throughout the day, especially when I'm working, is definitely peace of mind. I've used my stomach for all of my Novorapid injections and thankfully I have a couple of tattoos in the area so I use those to help me signpost where where I've been! Though I could always get creative with a biro if needed :D I've not thought to look at the differences in impact based on the site though, so thank you for the suggestion @littlevoice359

Going to try a different insulin ratio tonight and see how I get on. I had my bloods done this morning for a 3 month checkin with my diabetes team next week, so looking forward to that and getting their thoughts on everything too. Hoping for some good news on my HbA1c - my first reading was 15 as I was mid DKA, so it's got to be better than that! o_O

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back