Can I apply the libre 2 sensor to the inside of my upper arm?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I thought so too as the wire was very soft & I wasn’t sure if it would pierce the skin but, did it out of hope? :(

I thought so too as the wire was very soft & I wasn’t sure if it would pierce the skin but, did it out of hope?
I'm sure I saw someone reset the applicator and get it to work, but it seemed like something you probably shouldn't rely on 🙂

Lanny did you wash and dry the area you were going to apply it to thoroughly before doing so? xx

Yeah I did when I saw despite the stated in the leaflet the wipe wasn’t in the box!

Yeah I did when I saw despite the stated in the leaflet the wipe wasn’t in the box!
whatever you used to wash the area didn't contain a moisturiser? The leaflets haven't been updated, they stopped supplying the alcohol wipes with sensors almost a year ago xx

It was Carex Aloe Vera hand wash so, I suppose there is SOME as I like the extra moisture from that one as opposed to other ones!

It was Carex Aloe Vera hand wash so, I suppose there is SOME as I like the extra moisture from that one as opposed to other ones!
The moisturiser in it could have been a problem, it should be cleaned with a non moisturising soap, I bought alcohol wipes when they stopped supplying them xx

One time libre box would include alcohol wipes to clean skin before applying, I still use them & have no issues with sensor staying on for 14 days, box of 100 wipes can be bought for as little as £3, worth purchasing.

IF I get another one I’ll get some Dia wipes in & try that before application.

Try a drying soap - the kind of soap you’d avoid if you didn’t want to get dry skin. Wash your arm with it in warm-ish water not hot, then splash with cold water. Then use an alcohol wipe and let the skin air-dry completely.

I was told not to apply a sensor directly after a shower as there could be residue moisture in the skin, and to leave it 30 mins or so.

Perhaps you’re one of those who need an extra adhesive pad over the top? If yours fell off like that, something is up.

As well as making sure your arm is "moisture free", you also need to consider where you are placing the sensor.
I know you are trying to apply it to the under arm. This is fine if you are applying it to a flat area.
For me, the most common reason for a sensor to fall off it that I have placed it on the "corner" of a muscle. My muscles and tendons are more pronounced under my arm than on the back of it.
If I place it on a "corner" (sorry I can't think of a better way to describe it), the sensor will peel off as it doesn't bend when my arm does.

If I place it on a "corner" (sorry I can't think of a better way to describe it), the sensor will peel off as it doesn't bend when my arm does.
I know what you mean @helli!

As has been said, the under arm is covered in significant veins, so the chances you are to hit a vessel are increased significantly. If you are lucky, this might lead to small bleed, if unlucky to get a big bruise. Abbott tell you to attach to the outer arm for a good reason.

Furthermore, your inner arm is in regular contact with your chest - just think about the position of your arms when, say, knitting. Slicing bread, or carving meat. All these activities threaten to loosen the adhesive.

I’ve never had a sensor fall off. I now use Dexcom, where the algorithm can handle abdominal fixation, which I use. The only disadvantage of that fixation is I need to shave the area, not usually a problem for the ladies.🙂

They don’t fall off , either.

I think I saw Nikita one of the new pros on Strictly 2021 wear his on the inside of the upper arm. I ask because all my bolus Novorapid injections goes in the outside of my upper arms while tresiba goes in thighs & tummy!
Passing thought: I could be wrong but I understood that a bolus such as NovaRapid gets fastest into your blood stream by injecting around the stomach/ waist region. I apply my Tresiba on my top of thigh and side of buttocks; this isn't necessarily the fastest route, but once that routine is established one's body doesn't really need the Tresiba to "rush" in and do its stuff. That leaves the outside of the arms free for Libre; might be worth considering if you enjoy the trial and continue with libre.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back