Can anyone advise on how to avoid treating a hypo and waiting 15 minutes when my food is ready?

Status
Not open for further replies.
So you wouldn't bolus for the 15g of fast carbs ie the orange juice and also minus 10-15g of your meal - in total 25g-30g
Yeah, same as a normal hypo where I have 10-15g fast and 10-15g slow carbs without blousing.

Well it happened! I was hypo for the 2nd night running at teatime - my level was 3.5 - I had 1x 150ml can of non-diet coca-cola then tucked into my chinese takeaway - I had 92g of carbs and after I had finished eating I didn't test - I just did my humalog but told the bolus adviser I'd had 77g of carbs - I had 7.5 units of humalog.
Should I have tested when I'd finished eating?

Yes I would have tested to make sure bg had got over 4

Yes I would have tested to make sure bg had got over 4
Thanks @Lucyr - the thing that does worry me a bit though is that the bolus advisor would then take that after eating reading into account when advising how much insulin to take - I know not to do any advised correction and I know to knock 15g off for the carbs.
Don't forget that I'm type 1.

Thanks @Lucyr - the thing that does worry me a bit though is that the bolus advisor would then take that after eating reading into account when advising how much insulin to take - I know not to do any advised correction and I know to knock 15g off for the carbs.
Your safety comes first and in my opinion it is important for you to be testing 15 mins after a hypo to ensure that your levels have come back up, especially when you have impaired hypo awareness....and the carbs from the Chinese meal might take a while to kick in.
I would imagine you don't need to use the reading you get with the bolus advisor, but just check that your levels are back up to a safe level.

You decide what insulin to take not your bolus advisor. It only advises, and you can override it. I don’t think being type 1 makes any difference to the fact that it’s ultimately you that needs to decide your doses.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back