Camping.

Status
Not open for further replies.

rayray119

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 1
Pronouns
She/Her
Anyone had experience of camping while manging type 1. Only asking because if I do some shifts in a cople and a bits months there's a potential to camp.(I'm hoping my doctors would have gotten to the bottom of things by then) I'm interested to know how other people have found camping

Anyone had experience of camping while manging type 1. Only asking because if I do some shifts in a cople and a bits months there's a potential to camp.(I'm hoping my doctors would have gotten to the bottom of things by then) I'm interested to know how other people have found camping
Hello @rayray119,

I saw one of our members in the 7 day waking average page mentioned camping.

There is camping and then there is CAMPING. Are you planning a sedate leisurely stay at a five star campsite, or is it something a little more ambitious like a cross country trek across the wilds of Sutherland?

As a newly diagnosed Type 2, I personally have no experience to offer you, but I'm fairly sure I have known a couple extreme sport enthusiasts that are Type 1. It is not something that people generally advertise, and usually comes as a surprise when you see them giving themselves insulin.

Particularly if planning a cross country trek, I would imagine the main problem will be the diet, A quick google search turned up a variety of suggestions which are diabetic friendly, it also turned up energy/granola bars with ingredients like honey!

I also imagine that exertion, exhaustion and exposure will affect your BG levels, so you would need to be prepared to deal with this.

Let us know how you get on

Edited because I wrote Sunderland instead of Sutherland

Last edited:
There is camping and then there is CAMPING. Are you planning a sedate leisurely stay at a five star campsite, or is it something a little more ambitious like a cross country trek across the wilds of Sunderland?

As a newly diagnosed Type 2, I personally have no experience to offer you, but I'm fairly sure I have known a couple extreme sport enthusiasts that are Type 1. It is not something that people generally advertise, and usually comes as a surprise when you see them giving themselves insulin.

Particularly if planning a cross country trek, I would imagine the main problem will be the diet, A quick google search turned up a variety of suggestions which are diabetic friendly, it also turned up energy/granola bars with ingredients like honey!

I also imagine that exertion, exhaustion and exposure will affect your BG levels, so you would need to be prepared to deal with this.

Let us know how you get on
The camping is provided by the company so I guess its probelly a camp sight. its not a differate plan but I'm thinking ahead for if it does happen (weather I end up doing it will depend on a variety vof things)

The camping is provided by the company so I guess its probelly a camp sight. its not a differate plan but I'm thinking ahead for if it does happen (weather I end up doing it will depend on a variety vof things)
Personally, I do not think you should let your diabetes define you. But, I would most definitely:
  • Consult with my doctor
  • Be prepared to deal with sugar lows as well as sugar highs
  • Make sure the first aider and team leader both know of your diabetes and what to do in the case of emergency
  • Follow any specific advice from the Doc
Edit
This is actually for Homeless with Type 2, but it may give you some ideas.

Last edited:
Personally, I do not think you should let your diabetes define you. But, I would most definitely:
  • Consult with my doctor
  • Be prepared to deal with sugar lows as well as sugar highs
  • Make sure the first aider and team leader both know of your diabetes
  • Follow any specific advice from either here, or from the Doc
Thank you people gernallly know I'm debrtic although I don't always work with the same people I tend to wear a wrist band weather I go though in case anything was to happen and then. And oh yes I know about physical activity and bg levels always make sure I have plenty of snacks and hypo treatment at on me at work to keep going. And would make sure I had plenty to cover a few days(plus see if there was a place on site I could get more)

Did you get the edit I added
This is actually for Homeless with Type 2, but it may give you some ideas.

Like I say, it is for people with Type 2, so have no idea how relevant it might be?

Did you get the edit I added

Like I say, it is for people with Type 2, so have no idea how relevant it might be?
Thank you I'm not sure how relative this is as it's for homeless people not just going camping where you have access to food(I forgot as well that will apartenty be provided might need to some carb guessing though). I will give it a read through..

I've done loads of camping and never had issues. What, in particular, are you concerned about?

The only issue I've got with it these days is that I gone a bit soft in my old age and prefer a bed!!

I've done loads of camping and never had issues. What, in particular, are you concerned about?
I guess maybe it's the long days and not great sleep you tend to get with camping(of course there's keeping my metter warm over night but if I wore nightware with pockets in I could put in one of them)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back