C peptide results

Status
Not open for further replies.

EmmaL76

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 1.5 LADA
Hi all, wondering if anybody can help me. As most of you will know there is a big fat question mark over my diagnosis. I did a c peptide December 20’ and my results were 3.6. A few weeks ago 1.06. I’ve had a google and I can’t see what these numbers mean as the units seem to be different. Obviously they have gone down, but apparently still classed as good secretion. Would my extreme low carb effect these results does anybody know? The DN says not and has determined from this that I am more than likely a type 2. The consultant in my hospital has left and there isn’t another endo there to run this passed. Just don’t really know what to make of it.

Was it a blood C-peptide or a urine test? I think that can make a difference to interpreting the results. I am no expert on it though.

Hi all, wondering if anybody can help me. As most of you will know there is a big fat question mark over my diagnosis. I did a c peptide December 20’ and my results were 3.6. A few weeks ago 1.06. I’ve had a google and I can’t see what these numbers mean as the units seem to be different. Obviously they have gone down, but apparently still classed as good secretion. Would my extreme low carb effect these results does anybody know? The DN says not and has determined from this that I am more than likely a type 2. The consultant in my hospital has left and there isn’t another endo there to run this passed. Just don’t really know what to make of it.

Wish I could help. Id never heard of a peptide test. A quick google suggests that test is used to distinguish between T1 and T2 and a few other things. I’ll be interested to know the answer.

It was urine, I’m trying to remember but I’m pretty sure I was injecting for the first test, would that of made a difference ? Silly question I know

Was it a blood C-peptide or a urine test? I think that can make a difference to interpreting the results. I am no expert on it though.
Ahh so I may be looking online at the unit measurements for the blood one.

Haven’t researched enough to know this yet - but googled for link to charts. You have probably found these already but - just in case….
Ahh Thankyou so much, I also just found this. Which explains why the DN thinks it’s type 2,

Attachments

• 48BB6DC0-6E31-4F7E-A39C-58EC4FF0481B.jpeg
    48BB6DC0-6E31-4F7E-A39C-58EC4FF0481B.jpeg
    61.8 KB · Views: 17
Ahh so I may be looking online at the unit measurements for the blood one.
I managed to find this. It’s the same chart that you’ve posted since I started typing, I think. The thing that struck me was the 'patient preparation' section. Did they make you do the 'empty your bladder before eating, then produce the sample 2 hours after eating' bit?

I managed to find this. It’s the same chart that you’ve posted since I started typing, I think. The thing that struck me was the 'patient preparation' section. Did they make you do the 'empty your bladder before eating, then produce the sample 2 hours after eating' bit?
Thankyou so much for that. Nope I wasn’t really given any instructions the bottle came on it’s own through the post and the nurse just told me to get my sugars to over 8

Thinking about it… I ate and sugars went straight up and I did the test as soon as they got to 8. My appointment was 9am And I’d also got the school run. Must of only been half an hour from eating.

I wonder if that patient prep stuff is the reason why blood tests for C-peptide are more reliable.... but probably more expensive.

I wonder if that patient prep stuff is the reason why blood tests for C-peptide are more reliable.... but probably more expensive.
Yes more than likely. Plus they can’t send those through the post and get you to do it yourself !

But is is all a waste of time and testing if they don't do the test properly and therefore don't get any sort of useful result from it.
I really feel for you with this as your diagnosis is so up in the air to start with, but then not doing the test correctly which might have shone a light on things, is just beyond frustrating. To me, this is why these tests should be sanctioned and overseen by a consultant and the results returned to them for interpretation.

Thankyou Barbara, I wish I’d of known. She just asked if I’d done one before which I had, but there were no special instructions with the first one either. I was just given a bottle when I saw the consultant and asked to pop to the loo. Anyhow I have no consultant anymore so nothings going to happen in the near future anyway. Xx

No it’s definitely the information for the urine one. Your right it’s a bit of a head scratcher

No it’s definitely the information for the urine one. Your right it’s a bit of a head scratcher

Ah, ok. It’s very frustrating, for sure. The different units are so confusing. When I got my result, I tried googling and still wasn’t exactly sure what was going on.

Would you be able to access a blood C Peptide, do you think?

I would say my chances of that are nil to zero lol. From what she said today I was 3.6 , now 1.06 but anything over 0.6 is not pointing to type 1. It says on the info above if over 3-5 years still over .6 then defo not type 1. Nurse today said they say within 2 years. So looks like they maybe test me again in another year. Bad news though, they may take my libre away :(

private testing is about £250 (bloods)

Sorry this still leaves things up in the air with the uncertainty of the testing circumstances. You could always phone back to double check what you should have done and see how far wrong you were?

It was urine, I’m trying to remember but I’m pretty sure I was injecting for the first test, would that of made a difference ? Silly question I know

Sorry there are still question marks and confusion over your classification Emma :(

My understanding of cPep, is that it is a substance that is produced alongside naturally secreted insulin, but which was not included in any of the injectable / exogenous insulins. So while you may have been injecting insulin, that insulin won’t have had any cPep. Only the insulin your beta cells is still producing will have the cPeptide.

So it is used as a measure of your ‘home grown’ production.

Must be very frustrating for you that the result may have been affected by the lack of information about how to prepare. I wonder how much effect that might have and whether it is significant or only marginal?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back