Buying your own meter

Status
Not open for further replies.
Apologies if you've already said but I'm nearing the end of my lunch break and so dont have time to check - how did you get them to send you a free meter?

I just rang them and asked.the number is on the web site.

I thought the drums contained 17 strips?

Sometimes these strips are on offer at half-price, which is SUCH a good deal.

yep you are right the compact plus have 17 but the aviva have 10.

dont know if this is going off topic...
i bought a bayers contour usb meter last week (?24.99) and just for curioisty just checked my bloods on the above and my true trak meter.
the bayers came up 13.8 and truetrak 11.8. it was same this morning when i done my fasting one 9.7 on true trak and 11.7 on bayers.. i have just started victoza so am checking quite often, the trouble is which one should i believe there is nearly 2 points difference?

i bought a bayers contour usb meter last week (?24.99) and just for curioisty just checked my bloods on the above and my true trak meter.
the bayers came up 13.8 and truetrak 11.8. it was same this morning when i done my fasting one 9.7 on true trak and 11.7 on bayers.. i have just started victoza so am checking quite often, the trouble is which one should i believe there is nearly 2 points difference?

The glib answer is to believe neither! The meters are not 100% accurate anyway.

I'd suggest using just one meter and run with how it varies from day to day. If your HbA1c ties in roughly with what you'd expect from the meter readings then stick with that meter. Otherwise, start using the other meter instead.

Andy 🙂

Meters can have a variance of up to 20%, so this might account for the difference. How old is your truetrak meter? There is the possibility that it measures in whole blood rather than plasma blood glucose. All meters these days measure plasma glucose. This blog post explains the difference:

http://typeonepointfive.blogspot.com/2009/12/whole-blood-or-plasma.html

I put thread on here yesterday saying I had got a free one off the pharmacy where I get my prescriptions! Apparently Abbott are doing a promo. at the moment, all I did was take my prescription and pharmacist asked me to fill in a quick questionaire and then gave me a Freedom Lite 😱

Pharmacy was in Superdrug, if you have one close by give it a try!

Shirl

Thanks Shirl - will ask next time I am passing a Superdrug.

One more question - does one type of strip cover all meters?

Thanks Shirl - will ask next time I am passing a Superdrug.

One more question - does one type of strip cover all meters?

No. Some meters from the same manufacturer use the same strips, but all manufacturers have their own and aren't usable in other meters. The only exceptions are 'own brand' meters like the Boots one, which is actually an Optium Xceed and uses the strips for that.

I had a row with my favourite doctor the other day over test strips for my meter that I bought. I then pointed out that in the literature that they have to give me strips as is highlighted in the diabetic guidance for my NHS Trust. They do not like it and I understand they are expensive.

I do think it shocking how much money some firms are making of the sick!

Have a look if the trust has one of these books it could be a way of arguing with them.

They may only give you a few strips as the evil doctor at my local GP surgery (There are two, one excellent with diabetes and very understanding who is away at the moment) said i should test only twice a week!My Response, only just diagnosed and the consultant wants me to monitor very closely what I am eating and sugar levels .. maybe she would like to take it up with him. That soon shut her up!

When will they understand that I find it a way of being in control ... therefore lowering my worry and stress.

HELLOOOOO diabetics dont pay VAT on test strips so no need to shell out ?25 everytime :D

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back