Butter

Status
Not open for further replies.

Northerner

Admin (Retired)
Relationship to Diabetes
Type 1
I gave in yesterday and bought some butter. I haven't eaten butter since I was diagnosed, just over two years ago. I got fed up of the lack of taste of the olive spread I put on my toast, and found that I was putting marmalade on it to give it some flavour, even though I didn't particularly want it.

Anyone else given up on a healthier option because you can no longer bear it? I still have the spread in sandwiches, but on its own - yeeuch! 🙂

Because it was causing so many problems meal times, I stopped being a vegetarian after 10 years. Mainly it was to persuade little feller to eat a more balanced diet, but I also missed my odd treat of a bacon butty at the weekend!

In our house we have to make a lot of compromises with what we eat anyway as hubby has dairy intolerance. We use olive spread and just that as I don't want anyone to use butter by mistake and give hubby a tummy ache. he suffers manfully...

Is it really that unhealthy? I know theres a lot of panic about fat being evil, particularly saturated fats. This is mostly based on studies where people have a decrease in fat consumption and the risk of heart disease falls slightly.

Reduce your carbs instead and the rates of heart disease fall much faster.

For many who reduce their carbs some find that increasing fat consumption decreases their cholesterol further.

This might be worth a read Northie:
http://diabetesforum.org.uk/component/myblog/diabetes-myth-5-the-diabetic-diet.html

I can send you some references to studies if you like, but I left them out of the series so it was not so "heavy". Theres also a very good (and very long) article by Gary Taubes which is worth a read when I can find the link again with a name I can't quite remember but includes "big fat lie".

I've started buying butter again or exACTLY the same reasons as you Northey. I've never been able to STAND any kind of substitute, and can always taste it over and above any sandwich filling, no matter how thinly spread it is.

xx

I initially gave up butter but have gone back on to it after I realised, for me at least, that my high lipid levels were associated with high carb comsumption. Now, I'm simply neutral on fats, particularly saturated fats - not seeking them out but not avoiding them either - butter is back in and my lipids are normal range.

I usually buy the olive flora spread. I have on occasion bought butter as well, to add to new potatoes or my favourite irish wheaten bread. Boy does it taste good! What happen tho is I shovel it on, so I try to run past the butter aisle to avoid temptation. Sometimes tho a little of what you fancy does you good!! 😉Surely better to have a little butter on toast than adding marmalade to hide the taste of spread??
Gloria

I dont use buttter or margarine at all lol but very random comment, I had an addiction for full fat butter when I was pregnant, just eating it on fresh soft bread(I know sounds gross... a butter sandwich lol! maybe it was the bread I loved, but couldnt have it without butter anyway! 😱

I dont use buttter or margarine at all lol but very random comment, I had an addiction for full fat butter when I was pregnant, just eating it on fresh soft bread(I know sounds gross... a butter sandwich lol! maybe it was the bread I loved, but couldnt have it without butter anyway! 😱

Doesn't sound gross at all! I used to eat that all the time - fresh bread from (real) baker's and a thick spread of butter! And I;m sure it had nothing to do with being pregnant 😉

I was told my cholestoral was too high. And i love butter, its so tasty no spreads get anyway near as tasty, but to low my cholestoral i have cut it out, miss it so bad.
I also went to semi skimmed milk, i have been brought up on whole milk as my mum says it has more calcuim. As i am now pregnant i have bee getting full fat again, I was thinking of going back to butter too, surley it more natural and has calcuim in it?

Im glad there are others who cant resist it also haha :D

xx

Surely unless your eating tons of it it cant be too bad. I switched us all back from flora to lurpak (albeit the lighter spreadable one) after reading some article in the herald about all the ingredients in margarines - totally put me off. As you say its def more natural. And yip I also love fresh baked bread with butter on it - my idea of a real treat!

Ummmm, real butter! What a joy, fresh crusty bread with a smattering of butter. Oh lord now I feel hungry . . . . . . . . . . .

shirl x

hehe im worried now just reading this thread I have a real urge for a crusty baguette with loads of butter pmsl....

I was told my cholestoral was too high. And i love butter, its so tasty no spreads get anyway near as tasty, but to low my cholestoral i have cut it out, miss it so bad.
I also went to semi skimmed milk, i have been brought up on whole milk as my mum says it has more calcuim. As i am now pregnant i have bee getting full fat again, I was thinking of going back to butter too, surley it more natural and has calcuim in it?

Im glad there are others who cant resist it also haha :D

xx

Hi Phoebe, skimmed actually has the most calcium in it:

Half pint Skimmed = 355mg
Semi skimmed = 345mg
Whole milk = 340mg

Drink skimmed! 😱

i have given up on olive oil spreads i was buying it and not using it
ive decided on having no spreads on my sandwich but as a treat butter on toast once a week as i dont eat toast every day

I recently bought some butter. A portion of my family were coming to visit to help me clear my back garden and I happen to know they like it. Well, unfortunately, they weren't here for long and only used a small amount before leaving.

What a shame! I appear to have quite a lot left to use with all the biscuits and cheese that I also bought for them .....

Andy :D

ohhh andy

you are putting me in the mood for crackers and butter and cheese and i have only cheese in the house......i wonder if my other half will go to the shops for me mmmmm i dont think so crackers and blue cheese😱🙂

Oh please!!! I really fancy a slice of hot WHITE toast - running with butter! So it drips between my fingers - Lol. Sorry about the grossness!!

Well, I have just tested and I am 5.0 which is too low before bed (oh dear!), so I have just tucked into a lovely slice of hot buttered toast! Slurp!!! :D

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back