Bums and cannulas

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pumper_Sue

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 1
Does anyone know if you need a longer or shorter cannula, if cannula stuck in bum rather than tum please?
Please note I will not be devulging thie size of my bum 😛

Hi Pumper_Sue,

Alex used to use his tum and now uses his bum - and we did notice a change in absorption rate but didnt change the set - just seemed to adapt to it. It was quicker in the tum than the bum!:D But Alex doesnt have a lot of fat on him - more meat on a butchers pencil.🙂Bev

Hi Pumper_Sue,

Alex used to use his tum and now uses his bum - and we did notice a change in absorption rate but didnt change the set - just seemed to adapt to it. It was quicker in the tum than the bum!:D But Alex doesnt have a lot of fat on him - more meat on a butchers pencil.🙂Bev

Lol Bev loved your ditty. Thanks for your reply interesting what you say about the absoption though. I can not seem to get any absorption at all. :confused:
Sue

Hi Sue,

When Alex used his tum he had developed 'lumpy sites' on either side of his tummy button - but we hadnt realised. We were seeing really high levels at odd times and couldnt work out why. We checked for 'lumpy sites' but thought there werent any as the skin was flat. At clinic they showed us exactly how to check for them - Alex had to bend back slightly and stick his tummy out and there was an 'egg' shaped raised area on both sides that were 'lumpy sites'.😱I know your an old hand at this but do you think this may be the problem? Have you always used your tum? Alex did for about a year as he just didnt want to try anywhere else - but once he tried his bum he was fine about it and now prefers it there out of sight. I think he is still working on his six-pack so wants to keep the skin blemish free!🙂Bev

Hi Bev, I have never used my bum for injections or cannulas before so in theory I should not have a problem. I have put the cannula back in tum and all is fine. But did so want a change of site.

Hi Sue,

I see - I had thought your tum was the problem!😉 How long did you leave the set in for? I do remember that we noticed quite a change when using bum but it seemed to settle down after a couple of sets. Have your tried your thigh or arm? Not sure how easy it would be for the tubing but might be worth trying.🙂Bev

Hi Sue,

I see - I had thought your tum was the problem!😉 How long did you leave the set in for? I do remember that we noticed quite a change when using bum but it seemed to settle down after a couple of sets. Have your tried your thigh or arm? Not sure how easy it would be for the tubing but might be worth trying.🙂Bev

Thighs and arms are a no no as they had insulin injected into them for 42 years before the pump.
Cannula was in for almost 5 hours and for 3 of them 100% + basal running. I felt toxic in the end so injected and replaced the cannula.

Hi Sue,

Thats a shame - are you sure it wasnt bent? It might be worth trying again on the other cheek so to speak!:D🙂Bev

Hi Sue,

Thats a shame - are you sure it wasnt bent? It might be worth trying again on the other cheek so to speak!:D🙂Bev

Lol no it def wasn't bent. If I remember I will ring the pump dsn and ask her tomorrow.

I never fancied using my bum - I can't imagine being able to find a spot that wouldn't catch on something, either the back of a chair, or a waistband, or something (assuming I didn't sit on it).

The other site I tried was my back, just below the waist band. I don't like using that as I had a few that occluded.

I often use the top of my bum (just below top of pants) with no issues, but if I go a bit lower ie butt cheek seem to have issues so now avoid that area.
Interested to hear how others have got on with this site and whether anyone uses different cannulas in that site, as suggested by PumperSue in her original question.

Sue I'm pretty sure EDUAD/Mike has absorption issues with his bum. Could you get hold of some (I mean a couple not a boxful) longer cannulas and try to see if it makes any difference?

I use 8mm 90 degree Flexlinks - and I think you can use Roche ones, can't you? or not? couple of those any use to you to try? or I have nearly a whole box of 12mm Tenderlinks (the angled ones)

Both Teflon.

Sue I'm pretty sure EDUAD/Mike has absorption issues with his bum. Could you get hold of some (I mean a couple not a boxful) longer cannulas and try to see if it makes any difference?

I use 8mm 90 degree Flexlinks - and I think you can use Roche ones, can't you? or not? couple of those any use to you to try? or I have nearly a whole box of 12mm Tenderlinks (the angled ones)

Both Teflon.

Hi Everyone, thanks for the replies, interesting to hear others have the same problem and it's not just me.

Jenny, I use 8mm steel cannulas, so I know they won't/don't work Never thought to try an angled set as took one look at them a few years back freaked out 😱(big baby)So thank you for that thought, will enquire from animas as to what they have I no I can't order any until January as my PCT has strict rules about ordering supplies ie only every 3 months for adim purposes.

cannulas for me are the biggest problem with pumping........i have tried all types and lengths and sites! very frustrating! ....I have recently moved onto 10mm steel in my thighs. I have found them to work better than 8mm steel, with less blood issues, but they still seem to 'leak' occasionally...why I don't know! :confused:

cannulas for me are the biggest problem with pumping........i have tried all types and lengths and sites! very frustrating! ....I have recently moved onto 10mm steel in my thighs. I have found them to work better than 8mm steel, with less blood issues, but they still seem to 'leak' occasionally...why I don't know! :confused:

Hi Phil,
just a thought for you have your tried slowing down the speed of delivery for your bolus?
If you can't change that on your pump then use an extended bolus for 5 mins and see if that works for you.
Another thought (this is getting dangerous) do you think your cannula is working loose due to rubbing from clothing or just general walking around?
If this is the case try some skin tac to hold it in place and or put some tape over the top of the cannula as well.

Last edited:
Hi Sue, I use pretty much everywhere for sites - tum, legs, arms, love handles and bum!

I swap between inset II's and inset 30's, but it's more a comfort thing than because I've had issues with absorption. I usually use Inset 30's on my bum and arms, and Inset II's everywhere else. Personally, I haven't noticed any differences with absorption between areas.

When I first wanted to try the Inset 30's (I started on Inset II's only) I gave Animas a call and they sent me out a couple to try, could you do that? Maybe ask if they have any other options while you're asking?

Hi Sue, I use pretty much everywhere for sites - tum, legs, arms, love handles and bum!

I swap between inset II's and inset 30's, but it's more a comfort thing than because I've had issues with absorption. I usually use Inset 30's on my bum and arms, and Inset II's everywhere else. Personally, I haven't noticed any differences with absorption between areas.

When I first wanted to try the Inset 30's (I started on Inset II's only) I gave Animas a call and they sent me out a couple to try, could you do that? Maybe ask if they have any other options while you're asking?

Thanks randomange, I will do that 🙂 must admit I didn't know they did those.

I know Roche do 'trial packs' containing 4 cannulas Sue, so I'm sure it's worth a phone call.

I know Roche do 'trial packs' containing 4 cannulas Sue, so I'm sure it's worth a phone call.

All done 🙂, nice lady said she will send a couple of sets to try and if they are ok will take my unopened boxes back and replace for me.
I have seen the 90 degree inserts before and I can't use them as to stiff for my fingers to operate.

All done 🙂, nice lady said she will send a couple of sets to try and if they are ok will take my unopened boxes back and replace for me.
I have seen the 90 degree inserts before and I can't use them as to stiff for my fingers to operate.

Yeah, those are the Inset IIs, and I agree, they are quite stiff. I have found that the Inset 30s are much, much better in that way. Hope you find something that works 🙂

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back