Broken skin on my manhood :(

Status
Not open for further replies.
fantastic on the relief front x

is it weird to ask if there is any improvement today @Big G Man
Not weird. It's a little better today. I am not going to go into details for fear of 'TMI' but I managed to clean myself properly and applied a small amount of thrush cream in the hope the skin breaks heal up so my skins become more supple.
Spoke to the Dr surgery - no appointments available until next week (if I can bag one tomorrow on the phone) although I basically told the receptionist about the issues and that I am stopping my Empagliflozin pills until there is a new solution. This got her into action and she said she would take this down, pass it to the Diabetic Nurse who will review it and will come back to me to discuss the next steps. For now, I was told to continue self treating.

--------UPDATE----------
Spoke to the nurse and she has stopped the pills, prescribed me something else and advised to keep self treating the thrush. Next review is Feb. She's happy with my sugars as my last blood test was fine and my dailies are always between 5 and 6.8. Guess I'll have to see how it goes.

Last edited:
Hi! Long time reader, first time poster. Gonna be a long one I'm afraid.
I'm hoping someone can give me some guidance as trying to get hold of my Dr for an appointment is next to impossible within the next 3 weeks and even 111 had an extended wait time.
I am on Metformin SR and Empagliflozin to control my T2 and so far, so good. Average sugars are between 5.5 and 7 which my nurse is happy with. However, recently the skin on my foreskin has become very cracked, a little bloody and as a result swollen to the point where I cannot retract it over the head. I did some reading and based on what I found from multiple sites, I tried aloe vera on it. All I will say is don't ever do that - it burns like the flames of hell and brought me to tears. Also tried over the counter hydrocortisone (same stuff I have used on my psoriasis on my elbows before) - only to find that stings and creates a kind of skin/gunk which becomes REAL itchy. I read the paper that came with it and it says do not use on genitals. Now one I have used in the past that helped when I have had dry skin is Germolene. I have put that on today and although things are a little better, I still itch like hell and tbh I am now getting worried.
Also read today the side effects of Empagliflozin are
  1. increased volume of pale, dilute urine (I have this....not an issue. Just the pills doing their job)
  2. redness, itching, swelling, or pain around the penis (This. I have and hate this)
I have only been on these pills for about 6 weeks and other than the home treatments, I was thinking of taking a break of the Empagliflozin to see if it helps get things under control (whilst obviously keeping a close eye on my sugars to make sure they do not spike).

What are your thoughts? Has anyone else suffered from this?
Hi , my Doctor's surgery would require a photograph of the member !

It could be lichen sclerosis. This originates from a virus and whilst apparently more frequently encountered by ladies, does occur with males. Despite being uncomfortable and unpleasant to have it is not transferred to a partner, because it is a virus.

The treatment has 3 components:
Regular cleaning, Dermatol 500 is good for this - gentle but still cleansing; lightly washed off and allow to dry naturally (open air) for a few minutes.
A specific ointment such as Dermovate, which has the active ingredient of clobetasol propionate - possibly only available on prescription; seems to have a short shelf life once rhe tube is opened, so wasteful (use a tiny amount, throw most of the tube away).
And a 'barrier cream' to repel moisture and keep the affected region dry - vaseline is OK, but modern petroleum oils (vaseline) are often very stiff and not easy to apply gently; but happily the Dermatol 500 can also be freshly reapplied to act as a barrier cream.

Lot of faff, adds 10+mins to the morning's routine. But soothes and relieves discomfort. I would suggest the 3 steps above are also very appropriate for treating and managing thrush.

Not weird. It's a little better today. I am not going to go into details for fear of 'TMI' but I managed to clean myself properly and applied a small amount of thrush cream in the hope the skin breaks heal up so my skins become more supple.
Spoke to the Dr surgery - no appointments available until next week (if I can bag one tomorrow on the phone) although I basically told the receptionist about the issues and that I am stopping my Empagliflozin pills until there is a new solution. This got her into action and she said she would take this down, pass it to the Diabetic Nurse who will review it and will come back to me to discuss the next steps. For now, I was told to continue self treating.

--------UPDATE----------
Spoke to the nurse and she has stopped the pills, prescribed me something else and advised to keep self treating the thrush. Next review is Feb. She's happy with my sugars as my last blood test was fine and my dailies are always between 5 and 6.8. Guess I'll have to see how it goes.
Hi , if you drink alcohol stop for a week and the same goes for cream cakes.

Worth a try !

Try Daktacort Hydrocortisone cream
That is what I use or used when I had the same problem it was what the Dr precribed

Try Daktacort Hydrocortisone cream
That is what I use or used when I had the same problem it was what the Dr precribed
Tried over the counter strength hydrocortisone and found it caused more problems (stings and a horrible 'gunk' when left on the skin for more than a few hours) than it resolved. The nurse said that regular use causes skin harm/thinning of the skin - which is the last thing you need when the skin is breaking when it being 'ahem' manipulated.
So far, the thrush cream is working well and today has been much more comfortable.

Hi , if you drink alcohol stop for a week and the same goes for cream cakes.

Worth a try !
Not a big drinker or eater of cream cakes.
You tried sea salt in warm water ?
Don't have a bath (ripped it out for a nice walk-in shower) - but I can imagine it to really sting. God only knows the tap water I use to clear stings.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back