Breakfast

Status
Not open for further replies.
This mornings breakfast + Weetabix and 3 cups of tea with 1/3rd of a spoon full of sugar in each - BG spike to 14.2
Yesterdays breakfast as above plus one slice toast, Lurkpak and the faintest smear of jam - BG spike to 14.5. 2 1/2 hours to get back to 7.

I guess these spikes don't mean toast and jam is OK really and Weetabix is bad.

I know two lots of carbs is bad but I was just trying this out. Tomorrow I will have toast but no Weetabix.

Just trying to work this diabetes out!
Through the lenses of type 2 you are asking about carbs, carbs, carbs, which is better.
Sugars and starches first thing are not, usually, a good thing anyway.
I have no more than 10gm of carbs in the morning if I have anything - I just realised that I have fasted all morning without intending to, I just forgot.
I tend to be well under 8 mmol/l after any meal. It works for me, and for many - I do worry about people getting high numbers eating grains.

This mornings breakfast + Weetabix and 3 cups of tea with 1/3rd of a spoon full of sugar in each - BG spike to 14.2
Yesterdays breakfast as above plus one slice toast, Lurkpak and the faintest smear of jam - BG spike to 14.5. 2 1/2 hours to get back to 7.

I guess these spikes don't mean toast and jam is OK really and Weetabix is bad.

I know two lots of carbs is bad but I was just trying this out. Tomorrow I will have toast but no Weetabix.

Just trying to work this diabetes out!
I have two Oatibix with soya milk ( lactose intolerant ) I have cut out sugar in tea and don't eat jam. Try tea without sugar, I promise you will get used to it. Don't be afraid of carbs! everyone is different. Have your Weetabix and if you can stomach it in the mornings eggs, bacon, mushrooms and some tomatoes. I eat the latter for lunch as I hate salad and always have. Dinner is usually chicken, salmon or steak with two new potatoes and some carrots and peas. I eat plain food as I always have, this is what my diet has to be as I can't eat spicy food. Hope this helps

What's wrong with 40g of carbs?
It is too much for many Type 2 diabetics to manage in the morning when most people are more insulin resistant, so it is likely to push their BG levels up too high as seen by the OP whose BG is going up to mid teens.

It is too much for many Type 2 diabetics to manage in the morning when most people are more insulin resistant, so it is likely to push their BG levels up too high as seen by the OP whose BG is going up to mid teens.
How much in morning is ok? I can't have yoghurt and I can't face a cooked breakfast. I can't cope with eating anything till at least two hours after getting up in morning, it's a good job I am retired!!! Can you help?

How much in morning is ok? I can't have yoghurt and I can't face a cooked breakfast. I can't cope with eating anything till at least two hours after getting up in morning, it's a good job I am retired!!! Can you help?

Testing is the only way to tell what your body can cope with because it is quite individual and also depends on the medication you take for your diabetes.

Testing is the only way to tell what your body can cope with because it is quite individual and also depends on the medication you take for your diabetes.
Thanks. I take metformin and glicazide. I have just read a paper about antidepressants and blood glucose levels. Very interesting. I will always have to take antidepressants as it's endogenous clinical depression. I feel that my brain will win one day rather than my Diabetes. Onwards and upwards

Thanks for the reply. One weetabix? Not worth getting a bowl dirty - lol.
I am considering not having breakfast and just having lunch and dinner. Lunch is salad and has not much effect and dinner is followed by a 4 mile walk which keeps the spike low. I need to lose more weight too! I dont feel 2 weetabix and tea was excessive but now I am diabetic maybe I should consider just one weetabix. I remember an ad on the telly promoting 3 weetabix!
Give up the Weetabix!

...and perhaps spend a while perusing this:

If you take Gliclazide then you need a certain amount of carbs otherwise you risk a hypo, so for you 40g carbs might be fine, but if you are trying to manage without medication or just Metformin, dietary changes are necessary and the two main options are to go on an 8-12 week very low calorie diet (approx. 800calories a day) often in the form of meal replacement shakes to lose weight rapidly and try to push the diabetes into remission..... OR..... low carbohydrate where you reduce the amount of carbs you eat to whatever your body can manage, by testing your levels before and 2 hours after eating and adjusting the amount of carbs in the meal for next time so that levels are not more than 3mmols higher 2 hours after the meal.

If you don’t like breakfast you don’t have to eat it. Take the gliclazide with your meal later in the morning when you have brunch or early lunch instead?

If you take Gliclazide then you need a certain amount of carbs otherwise you risk a hypo,
In a sense that’s true. If they have fixed your gliclazide dose to a certain number of expected carbs and then don’t have them you risk a hypo.

But, if you change your diet to eat less carbs consistently then you also need to lower the gliclazide to match the lower carb levels. To eat carbs just so you can take medication to deal with an inability to cope with carbs is back to front and crazy.

Last two slices of brown wholemeal bread this morning with a little Lurpak and a smearing of jam - spiked at 12.7 so not having this bread anymore!
Experiment over.

Last two slices of brown wholemeal bread this morning with a little Lurpak and a smearing of jam - spiked at 12.7 so not having this bread anymore!
Experiment over.
1 slice might be OK, with some eggs, tomato mushrooms and cheese or whatever or a small portion of creamy Greek style natural yoghurt with berries and seeds before it.... The fat from the yoghurt may slow the carbs from the bread down a bit or have more butter on it perhaps with marmite instead of jam.

Experiment over.
1 slice might be OK

I have one slice of bread most weekdays, and was surprised how I found it just as sustaining as the 2 slices I used to have.

And it was easier to get the insulin dose right more of the time, and helped to keep the spikes down when my insulin needs were changing.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back