Breakfast

Status
Not open for further replies.

lizzieK

Relationship to Diabetes
At risk of diabetes
I would be really interested to hear people’s views on breakfast. I know the science behind the benefits of eating a healthy breakfast but I never feel I can eat in the morning. I cannot handle protein then and if I were to choose to have something it would be cereal like Weetabix or Shredded Wheat. Frankly, I would rather go without. Is this a really unwise thing to do?

I would be really interested to hear people’s views on breakfast. I know the science behind the benefits of eating a healthy breakfast but I never feel I can eat in the morning. I cannot handle protein then and if I were to choose to have something it would be cereal like Weetabix or Shredded Wheat. Frankly, I would rather go without. Is this a really unwise thing to do?
Not if it works for you.
I used to have two normal (for me) meals in a day at around 12 hour intervals - these days I hardly bother with breakfast. I suspect it is simply old age and five lots of Covid plus two vaccinations - I reacted very badly to the first one and really have not been the same since.
I was way past at risk when diagnosed so I do have to take things seriously low when it comes to the amount of carbs per day.
I tend to have fish in the mornings these days, if I have anything. Kippers or herring for breakfast used to be quite usual, before Mr Kellogg started his crusade against protein.

The idea behind having breakfast is that it stops your liver releasing glucose to give you the energy for the days activity and for your organs to function. If you are not diabetic then your pancreas produces insulin to deal with the glucose but if diabetic that might not happen as easily so by having a low carb breakfast it stops the liver releasing glucose.
Low carb breakfasts can be full fat Greek yoghurt and berries with a very small portion of a low sugar cereal like granola or All Bran, eggs, things like mushrooms or tomatoes on a small slice toast. Protein nut bars like Nature Valley or shop own are less than 10g carb per bar and a quick grab.
But whatever suits you as long as you are not then tempted by high carb snacks because you are hungry.

It’s not particularly unhealthy to go without breakfast but if it makes you hungry mid morning and you then snack on unhealthy food, this will be an issue for you.

There’s always been this saying, breakfast like a king, lunch like a queen etc etc but I don’t think that’s really necessary these days and fasting is a recognised weight control plan now.

I’m lucky in that I work from home so have plenty of time for breakfast and will often have eggs or sometimes just a couple of slices of toast. I’m making myself have three proper meals a day but that’s more a control thing for me, rather than a necessity.

Jumbo porridge oats not the fine or scrambled eggs on a slice of toasted brown bread has helped me a lot. I had to learn to love it.

Thanks everyone for getting back to me with ideas and advice. Maybe I should mend my ways re breakfast….but I have to say that I don’t snack mid morning, I never eat until lunchtime.
On another note I think I need to reprogram my mind about bread. When I got the pre diabetic diagnosis and was told to cut carbs I was wary of eating any bread. Now I can see that a slice of toast is not going to send me off track….I have the Carb & Calorie book and find that helpful - it is teaching me how to keep my diet sensible and healthy.

Does anyone know if there is an App for Diabetes UK? I’m a new member. Sorry if this isn’t directly about your issue

Thanks everyone for getting back to me with ideas and advice. Maybe I should mend my ways re breakfast….but I have to say that I don’t snack mid morning, I never eat until lunchtime.
On another note I think I need to reprogram my mind about bread. When I got the pre diabetic diagnosis and was told to cut carbs I was wary of eating any bread. Now I can see that a slice of toast is not going to send me off track….I have the Carb & Calorie book and find that helpful - it is teaching me how to keep my diet sensible and healthy.

A slice of toast.....
Goes to the toaster............

I would be really interested to hear people’s views on breakfast.
Gave it up 7 years ago when diagnosed and replaced with coffee with double cream (3 large each morning).
I rarely eat before mid afternoon these days.

Now I can see that a slice of toast is not going to send me off track
Providing you can stick to just one then maybe, although why bother..I'd just cut off a slice of butter and eat that instead.

I found an amazing loaf today.
Toasted, it simply hits the spot.
Braces Vortigern.

I have porridge with frozen cherries (defrosted) made with water & a splash of milk. I sometimes add a tsp peanut butter. A delicious filling breakfast.

I found white bread or brown is a no no as there to much sugar.But seeded bread or granary bread is better as the sugar is slower to release.I like eggs which is good as well boiled poached scrambled and fried.

I have porridge with frozen cherries (defrosted) made with water & a splash of milk. I sometimes add a tsp peanut butter. A delicious filling breakfast.

Yes, porridge is so good 🙂

I found white bread or brown is a no no as there to much sugar.But seeded bread or granary bread is better as the sugar is slower to release.

Low GI foods are better even now, that is true.
And certainly more flavour.

I've happily binned off all other obvious carbs and nasty junk food but bread is my desert island food :rofl:

I do however limit myself to 2 slices per day and definitely not every day. Bread is a joyful food..................

As humans, we have been sold a theory of 3 meals a day.... however if you look at the word Breakfast, it's actually Break - Fast. You're breaking your fast from the previous day. When you break your fast is up to you. Intermittent fasting is a little controversial but there are many benefits of sustained periods without eating for sure.

It's only unwise if your body tells you it is; you're unwell or your blood levels aren't right. There is no right or wrong way to diet, we are all unique. The focus to me should be what you're eating, not when.

I often start the day with just some fruit... or just some toast but that's only because I have a 1 hour drive to work and don't want to hypo during my journey!

Good luck 🙂

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back