• Community Members: Please be respectful of other peoples' opinions within our online community

Breakfast cereals

everydayupsanddowns

Administrator
Staff member
Relationship to Diabetes
Type 1
Hi Robin, obviously in the present covid situation a hospital / doctor appointment is about as rare as hens teeth but I've got a phone meeting with the surgery nurse next week so I'll ask her then and pass on the things I've found out on here and hopefully she'll have some answers. Only been on here a few hours and already picked up some good info , cheers so far everyone

Hope you find something suitable for your breakfast choices @baz1797

Are you checking your own levels with a BG meter at home? Many folks here find that is the most direct way to find out if whatever they are eating is kind to their levels. It’s really tricky, because everyone reacts to food in different ways, and even well known recommendations for being slow release like porridge can cause BG chaos for some individuals.

With a meter you can check immediately before eating, and again 2hrs later, and ideally you would want the rise from the meal to be 2-3mmol/l or lower. If it’s more than that, you can experiment with reducing portion size, or try swapping to something else.

Good luck and let us know how you get on with your LADA investigations. Unexplained weight loss can be a bit of a tell tale sign, but there are other causes too, so good to get things checked out :)