Breakfast Cereal

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ranger

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 2
Has anyone got any views on Surreal Breakfast cereals being sold in Sainsburys? Being a newbie I'm not sure but look to be sugar free and low in carbs, I'm guessing I looking at "carbs that sugar" when I'm checking is that right?

Always scan the ingredients list as well as sugar and carb content. If you are fine with erythritol in your food then it looks suitable.
Sainsburys seems to be saying 7-8g erythritol per serving which may make some decide against it.

I'm guessing I looking at "carbs that sugar" when I'm checking is that right?
No. You need to be looking at all the carbs. Not just those that are sugar. All the carb (except fibre which is listed separately anyway in the uk) turn to glucose. So you need to be aware of them all. Whatever colour whatever grain whatever gi they are there and your body will need to cope with them.

The of which sugars bit is only really useful for people using insulin as it gives them an idea of how fast the glucose hit is likely to be and when to dose accordingly. For a type 2 not on insulin it’s pointless and misleading, especially for grain/flour based items like cereals and bread and “sugar free” items like biscuits and cakes.

Has anyone got any views on Surreal Breakfast cereals being sold in Sainsburys? Being a newbie I'm not sure but look to be sugar free and low in carbs, I'm guessing I looking at "carbs that sugar" when I'm checking is that right?

I've bought this a few times. It's OK, bit cardboardy, but a decent replacement.
It contains a lot of protein, and some of the carb content is 'polyols' from sweeteners.

A serving is around 10g of carbs, minus 3.5g of polyols, making it quite low in carbs.
The peanut butter one is OK. I sometimes mix it with Greek yoghurt.

Last edited:
I really don't know much about all of this so don't really know what is what. I was hoping I had found an alternative to be honest.

No. You need to be looking at all the carbs. Not just those that are sugar. All the carb (except fibre which is listed separately anyway in the uk) turn to glucose. So you need to be aware of them all. Whatever colour whatever grain whatever gi they are there and your body will need to cope with them.

The of which sugars bit is only really useful for people using insulin as it gives them an idea of how fast the glucose hit is likely to be and when to dose accordingly. For a type 2 not on insulin it’s pointless and misleading, especially for grain/flour based items like cereals and bread and “sugar free” items like biscuits and cakes.
Sure is a minefield! On the up side I got my BG tester today and my reading is 4.6 so I'm not in such a panic as I was literally stopping everything and thinking of all sorts. At least now hopefully I can get to judge what is acceptable and what is not.

A far as that specific product - the portion is tiny so it’s likely you’d have more in many cases. They are 22% carbs (22g per 100g) so not a low carb item but better than other cereals I guess.
I’d use it as a small topping for some crunch on Greek full fat yoghurt rather than as a bowlful with milk.

I have no issues with erythritol and use it myself. Unlike other sweeteners it doesn’t get digested in any way that raises glucose or insulin and is made from food items rather than chemical cocktails. It’s generally considered one of the better sweetening options along with stevia, monkfruit, inulin etc. Some sugar alcohols (or polyols) do cause a blood glucose spike in a fair few people eg maltitol. They are not all the same and don’t all act in the same way.

They are low is carb, only about twice my limit, which is low for a cereal - but it seems quite expensive, and to be honest, I'd prefer eggs, cheese and some salad for breakfast.
Oh - it has polyols - sugar alcohols. My gut flora and fauna would have a wild party with that.
I overindulged once and it was so painful and gassy - I swore never again.

A far as that specific product - the portion is tiny so it’s likely you’d have more in many cases. They are 22% carbs (22g per 100g) so not a low carb item but better than other cereals I guess.
I’d use it as a small topping for some crunch on Greek full fat yoghurt rather than as a bowlful with milk.

I have no issues with erythritol and use it myself. Unlike other sweeteners it doesn’t get digested in any way that raises glucose or insulin and is made from food items rather than chemical cocktails. It’s generally considered one of the better sweetening options along with stevia, monkfruit, inulin etc. Some sugar alcohols (or polyols) do cause a blood glucose spike in a fair few people eg maltitol. They are not all the same and don’t all act in the same way.
Thanks for that, the topping on Greek Yoghurt sounds an idea.

Sainsbury’s also do the paleo food company no grain granolas. The basic almond one is 15.2% carbs and. It uses chicory root fibre which is a fibre and listed as such but has a mild sweetening effect too. No polyols

https://www.sainsburys.co.uk/gol-ui/product/paleo-granola-almond-pecan-285g This isn’t the one I get which is in a blue box but it gives you an idea what to look for

Is this available in store now? I have been buying it from H&B where they want a mortgage deeds before paying.

Or you could make your own from shredded coconut, seeds and nuts etc (avoid cashews if you can as they are higher carb than all other nuts). I do that and add some cinnamon and turmeric too then toast it by stirring it around in a big pot for a bit with a bit of coconut oil dolloped in. You can do it in the oven or even a slow cooker too but becareful not to burn it. You could add a bit of whatever sweetener you are happy to use if needed, I don’t, or even a few dark chocolate nibs or some cocoa without added sugars in it.

Is this available in store now? I have been buying it from H&B where they want a mortgage deeds before paying.
It's amongst the cereals on Sainsbury's website for placing an order for home delivery so I would expect it to be in store too.

Sainsbury’s also do the paleo food company no grain granolas. The basic almond one is 15.2% carbs and. It uses chicory root fibre which is a fibre and listed as such but has a mild sweetening effect too. No polyols

https://www.sainsburys.co.uk/gol-ui/product/paleo-granola-almond-pecan-285g This isn’t the one I get which is in a blue box but it gives you an idea what to look for
Stupid question! but how much is considered a fair portion of Yoghurt for breakfast roughly? Ive got all the bits going to try that in the morning.

Stupid question! but how much is considered a fair portion of Yoghurt for breakfast roughly? Ive got all the bits going to try that in the morning.
Full fat Greek yoghurt is low carb, I must admit I have never weighed what I have but it is 2 heaped desert spoonful's on top of some berries and topped with 20g of a granola which I make from 50/50 Keto Hana granola and Lizi's low sugar granola so the mix ends up at 26g carb per 100g.
Other people will have a different amount but it will be whatever you have with it that will make more difference to the amount of carbs for your breakfast than the yoghurt unless of course you have an entire 500g pot.

I tend to have yoghurt after dinner, and a 1kg pot is enough to span the time between visits to the shops. I eat it with sugar free jelly and cream, often some berries as well. The Lidl Greek yogurt is around 5 or 6% carbs so portion size is not really an issue.

I have 75g of Greek yoghurt, 15g of peanut butter, and as many berries as I want.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back