Bread

Status
Not open for further replies.

SCi-Fi

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 2
What bread do I need to eat, wholegrain? multigrain? I have read an watched loads and which is best to eat and how much?

Last edited:
I asked what medication you were on on your other thread @SCi-Fi That might impact the answer to your question. Generally, you’re looking at reducing the amount of carbs you eat. Many people find seeded bread works better than white, others eat a lower carb bread and I’m sure some Type 2s will be along later to give you more information.

What bread do I need to eat, wholegrain? multigrain? I have read an watched loads and which is best to eat and how much?
I'd say none.. it's my addictive substance.. cold turkey was the only way to get away from its insidious clutches.

I asked what medication you were on on your other thread @SCi-Fi That might impact the answer to your question. Generally, you’re looking at reducing the amount of carbs you eat. Many people find seeded bread works better than white, others eat a lower carb bread and I’m sure some Type 2s will be along later to give you more information.
Sukkarto SR 500mg

Sukkarto SR 500mg

Which is Metformin,I believe? In that case, the answer to your question is ‘as much or as little bread as you can tolerate’ - ie that doesn’t push your blood sugar up too much.

A good starting place is to look at what you were eating before you were diagnosed. Literally write down an average day or two’s food. Then look at your meals and see where you can reduce carbs. Reducing the carbs should improve your blood sugar. As your HbA1C was so high, you’d probably be better off reducing the carbs gradually over a period of weeks.

If you’d like to write an average day’s food here, you’ll get some suggestions of how/where to reduce carbs.

Like @bulkbiker I find it easier not to eat bread at all because I simply don't crave it if I don't eat it.
If you can manage moderation and find a bread which doesn't spike your levels too high then go for it, but the only real way to find what is right for you is to get a BG meter and test. We are all individuals and you have to find what works for your body.

I had an 1 egg 1 strip of bacon 2 sausage for breakfast, then for dinner(cos i will be at work) 2 sandwiches ham an cheese with mayo(cos I have a swallowing problem, the valve doesn't work right), dinner I'm starting to eat more stir fry, its healthier an filling. I eat pistachio nuts and dark chocolate, but how many nuts can i eat? Also i only eat 1 strip of chocolate, its killing me but only 1 strip😳

Your breakfast was nicely low in carbs but you might well have to look for alternatives to your sandwiches. Salad plus cold meat, boiled eggs, etc - anything without too many carbs. If that’s not possible with your swelling problem, then do say what you can eat 🙂

I had an 1 egg 1 strip of bacon 2 sausage for breakfast, then for dinner(cos i will be at work) 2 sandwiches ham an cheese with mayo(cos I have a swallowing problem, the valve doesn't work right), dinner I'm starting to eat more stir fry, its healthier an filling. I eat pistachio nuts and dark chocolate, but how many nuts can i eat? Also i only eat 1 strip of chocolate.
The mayo should be fine but you might want to try an open sandwich which will reduce the bread component by half.
I have posted a reply in your other thread but if you are actually Type 2 then this link may help you. https://lowcarbfreshwell.co.uk/

Taking your metformin with your main meal is usually suggested.

Your breakfast was nicely low in carbs but you might well have to look for alternatives to your sandwiches. Salad plus cold meat, boiled eggs, etc - anything without too many carbs. If that’s not possible with your swelling problem, then do say what you can eat 🙂
only cold meat i like is chicken, ham, salami, pepperami. I love cheese, my fav is lancashire crumble and no i wont stop eating it 😛

only cold meat i like is chicken, ham, salami, pepperami. I love cheese, my fav is lancashire crumble and no i wont stop eating it 😛
All those things are good as they have no or little carbs. Crumbly Lancashire with strawberry jam or Christmas cake nectar of the Gods.

Those are all ok, as is the cheese. It’s the carbs you need to watch.

The mayo should be fine but you might want to try an open sandwich which will reduce the bread component by half.
I have posted a reply in your other thread but if you are actually Type 2 then this link may help you. https://lowcarbfreshwell.co.uk/

Taking your metformin with your main meal is usually suggested.
eh?!?! taking tablets at dinner, i cant do that as i have to take more in coming weeks.

Cheese is my new chocolate, I eat masses of it and my body is very happy with that. Half a square of the dark 85% cocoa solids is now my ration of chocolate per day and I used to be a whole 200g bar of Dairy Milk girl, but I have my half a square with a heaped teaspoon of peanut butter to bulk it out.

Those are all ok, as is the cheese. It’s the carbs you need to watch.
ok, get ya in a way. I am not sure what to do with my dinner at work, i was thinking of using flat bread and making wraps.

I'd say none.. it's my addictive substance.. cold turkey was the only way to get away from its insidious clutches.
Weirdly, before I was diagnosed I had stopped eating bread as it made me feel ill.

ok, get ya in a way. I am not sure what to do with my dinner at work, i was thinking of using flat bread and making wraps.

It depends on the carbs. If you check the label, you’ll see them listed. It’s total carbs you’re looking for not just sugar. You could maybe try some cold meat/cheese/salad in a Tupperware and then take a few Ryvita or similar as a side?

Lidl do a low GI bread that many on here eat.
Thete is a "livlife" loaf as well, but it's hit and miss where you find it.
Having said that, with the facts you have said, you don't sound like a normal type 2, so I would echo what others have said,and push for more tests

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back