Brain fog and numbers

Status
Not open for further replies.

HBomb

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 2
Hi everyone,
I've had some debilitating symptoms in the process of trying to put myself back into remission. When I was originally diagnosed as T2, I managed to put it into remission in three months with keto, intermittent fasting, exercise and no meds. Over the last year there have been ups and downs and I've fell off the carb/sugar wagon a few times. Never fulfilling the cravings to the degrees I used to do, but still not on track as I was. I was fortunately able to get myself back into fasting and low carb relatively easy, aside from recently. These symptoms began with a bout of insomnia for about a week (I think it was hormone related PCOS). Since then I have been battling daily brain fog, headaches, dizziness and body aches. It's debilitating and difficult to work with and do daily things like crossing the road safely when I'm out. The brain fog lifts after a walk or exercise, only to return very quickly once I stop moving about. Obviously this is in relation to the insulin resistance, but I've never had any extreme symptoms like this before. I've been testing my blood sugar and I feel almost normal when I'm in the 4mmol range. I've noticed when I feel bad is when I'm in the 5mmol range and above. The higher the number, the worse I feel. The numbers are going between normal, prediabetic and diabetic range. Has anyone suffered with this before? I'm scared my body is broken and beyond repair! Whilst I undsrstand the term "remission" doesn't mean cured, I would love to be back to the health I felt this time last year.

Last edited:
Hi everyone,
I've had some debilitating symptoms in the process of trying to put myself back into remission. When I was originally diagnosed as T2, I managed to put it into remission in three months with keto, intermittent fasting, exercise and no meds. Over the last year there have been ups and downs and I've fell off the carb/sugar wagon a few times. Never fulfilling the cravings to the degrees I used to do, but still not on track as I was. I was fortunately able to get myself back into fasting and low carb relatively easy, aside from recently. These symptoms began with a bout of insomnia for about a week (I think it was hormone related PCOS). Since then I have been battling daily brain fog, headaches, dizziness and body aches. It's debilitating and difficult to work with and do daily things like crossing the road safely when I'm out. The brain fog lifts after a walk or exercise, only to return very quickly once I stop moving about. I've been testing my blood sugar and I feel almost normal when I'm in the 4mmol range. I've noticed when I feel bad is when I'm in the 5mmol range and above. The higher the number, the worse I feel. The numbers are going between normal, prediabetic and diabetic range. Has anyone suffered with this before? I'm scared my body is broken and beyond repair!
I wonder if you are experiencing vitamin deficiency as I was quite surprised that I was low on folic acid after I had been doing low carb which I put down to cutting out foods that were fortified in various minerals and vitamins.
Blood glucose in the 4 and 5 range is perfectly normal though perhaps on the low side even for a fasting /before meal reading. Do you test 2 hours after eating as if you are getting high readings then but dropping quite quickly that could be giving you your symptoms.
It would be worth speaking to your nurse or GP.

I wonder if you are experiencing vitamin deficiency as I was quite surprised that I was low on folic acid after I had been doing low carb which I put down to cutting out foods that were fortified in various minerals and vitamins.
Blood glucose in the 4 and 5 range is perfectly normal though perhaps on the low side even for a fasting /before meal reading. Do you test 2 hours after eating as if you are getting high readings then but dropping quite quickly that could be giving you your symptoms.
It would be worth speaking to your nurse or GP.
I will definitely make an appointment with the diabetic nurse at my surgery. I have been wanting to try and fix this myself, but it's gone on too long now.
I take a Folic acid supplement with the Inositol I take for PCOS. I am wondering actually if there is another B vitamin I am lacking though so this may be a good suggestion.
I am finding I'm in the 6 and 7 range two hours after a meal, which is when I feel really ill. When my symptoms disappeared last night, it was a few hours after food and a walk and I was 4.4 and felt healthy and like my brain was in focus.

Hope you can shake off the fuzzy-headedness @HBomb

I’m not sure if the association with BG results you’ve noticed might be coincidental, as the numbers you are quoting are fairly steady and in-range? Unless before you’d taken the second check your levels has already risen rapidly and were sharply coming back down (which could make you feel a bit odd) - but that seems a bit unlikely on your low carb meal plan?

Question if I may - do you perchance take any other drugs for anything else like blood pressure or whatever?

I any event brain fog absolutely needs discussing with your GP preferably rather than anyone else at your GP surgery. It does NOT occur on its own.

I am at a loss to what is going on. I woke up burning up (which happens sometimes). I felt a bit light headed but not shaky. Tested my levels and the machine reported Lo. I've had breakfast and can feel myself feeling woozy, light headed and the brain fog starting. I can't test though as I am out. I can't get a doctors appointment either as their system is a joke. Could this be a result of the blood sugar being unstable or could there be something else entirely going on? I wish I had a CGM to try and make sense of it as I start to feel these symptoms.

Last edited:
Question if I may - do you perchance take any other drugs for anything else like blood pressure or whatever?

I any event brain fog absolutely needs discussing with your GP preferably rather than anyone else at your GP surgery. It does NOT occur on its own.
I take losartan for blood pressure, but I am in need of a second medication (which I can't get an appointment for). My systolic responds to lifestyle and one tablet, but my dystolic is still too high. I have an aortic anneyrusm which means I have to be in range with it. I had some erratic readings last night with my BP so I don't know if it's that or a combination of the two. I really need to see my GP, but have no chance of an appointment. It's ridiculous.

I take losartan for blood pressure, but I am in need of a second medication (which I can't get an appointment for). My systolic responds to lifestyle and one tablet, but my dystolic is still too high. I have an aortic anneyrusm which means I have to be in range with it. I had some erratic readings last night with my BP so I don't know if it's that or a combination of the two. I really need to see my GP, but have no chance of an appointment. It's ridiculous.
I would try your GP and emphasise the urgency because of your symptoms or as you have heart issues I would call 111 for advice.
We have a walk in centre for urgent things if we can't get a GP appointment.

Mmm - the thing I immediately wondered about was statins to be honest. When my husband was found to have an AAA, he was referred to a vascular surgeon who immediately wanted him on statins. Since then he's had 3 monthly ultrasound scans regular as clockwork. I'm surprised you have not been kind of automatically, been put on one. His has now got large enough to justify stenting and he's already had two dates for the op. He does however also have COPD. First he developed a chest infection 2 days prior to the date and the second time 2nd on the list, but the first man's op was hours longer than expected and they ran out of theatre time so had to send him home again. Now in daily expectancy of a new date. Very hard indeed to plan anything!

That indeed must be difficult to plan anything! I hope he gets his op soon. Mine is a TAA and they are monitoring on a yearly basis to check on the growth. Its not near the risk level yet to operate. I can only think they've not put me on a statin because my cholesterol normalised once I cut the carbs. If not for that hight diastolic I wouldn't be so concerned. I hate not knowing what's the cause of these symptoms..

That indeed must be difficult to plan anything! I hope he gets his op soon. Mine is a TAA and they are monitoring on a yearly basis to check on the growth. Its not near the risk level yet to operate. I can only think they've not put me on a statin because my cholesterol normalised once I cut the carbs. If not for that hight diastolic I wouldn't be so concerned. I hate not knowing what's the cause of these symptoms..
Hi,
I'm T2 also with those very same symptoms. My Bg averages around 12 and can spike to 18 during the day. I take prescription multivitamin, vitamin B12 and vitamin D3. The aim of the medication was to rebuild what I was lacking, as a consequence the symptoms have abated and not returned.
I get 50% more sleep and don't struggle to stay awake during the day. The brain fog has lifted and although I still stumble about that is the result of vertigo and an ACA stroke.
Cheers

That's good that you are sleeping now. I've bought B complex today and like yourself take those other vitamins. I'm going to get a CGM to try as well. The symptoms I've been having sound similar to nocturnal hypos so I want to know what's going on when I'm sleeping. I've had hypos since being a child, wasn't diagnosed with T2 until I was 40. I've always been insulin resistant but as my PCOS was only accidentally diagnosed at 35, there were many symptoms that the doctors never put together. As an experiment I have increased my carbs slightly today and I have to say some of the symptoms have eased. Hopefully I'm not speaking to soon! We shall see what happens.

That's good that you are sleeping now. I've bought B complex today and like yourself take those other vitamins. I'm going to get a CGM to try as well. The symptoms I've been having sound similar to nocturnal hypos so I want to know what's going on when I'm sleeping. I've had hypos since being a child, wasn't diagnosed with T2 until I was 40. I've always been insulin resistant but as my PCOS was only accidentally diagnosed at 35, there were many symptoms that the doctors never put together. As an experiment I have increased my carbs slightly today and I have to say some of the symptoms have eased. Hopefully I'm not speaking to soon! We shall see what happens.
Hi,
I'm not eating enough to get the vitamins required. IBS limits what I can eat and how much. I suspect it was the B12 that was the problem, my levels were way below where they were supposed to be. The funded B12 shots here are seldom available so I resorted to supplements to do the job. It has taken a year of supplements to reach the theoretical minimum required to sustain life but I'm there now and the better for it. Like D3, B12 has a fine line to maintain or either way it can become life threatening. Upside is besides generally feeling better I have never had a cold or flu bug since before Covid struck the world.
Cheers

Hi,
I'm not eating enough to get the vitamins required. IBS limits what I can eat and how much. I suspect it was the B12 that was the problem, my levels were way below where they were supposed to be. The funded B12 shots here are seldom available so I resorted to supplements to do the job. It has taken a year of supplements to reach the theoretical minimum required to sustain life but I'm there now and the better for it. Like D3, B12 has a fine line to maintain or either way it can become life threatening. Upside is besides generally feeling better I have never had a cold or flu bug since before Covid struck the world.
Cheers
I am the same with IBS too. Another thing that low carb has helped me with is the symptoms, for thr lost part anyway.

Hi,
Were not twins are we! CKD as well. Sounds like I'm looking in the mirror.
I knew I spoke too soon, taking a hit now with vertigo, brain fade and more than usual stumbling. First time in 6 months. Been passing 3 times as much urine as is normal for me. Never go out doors without a mask so not a bug I have picked up. Bg 9.2 so nothing there must check the BP and O2 levels.
I swear it is all to keep me on my toes.
Cheers
I am the same with IBS too. Another thing that low carb has helped me with is the symptoms, for thr lost part anyway.

B12 deficiency often needs B12 injections as the reason B12 is low is that the body is unable to absorb it from foods and that includes oral B12. It can be caused by certain medications like metformin, esomeprazole etc.
Passing more urine could be a UTI or high blood glucose.
Vertigo can be an ear infection or something called Meniere's disease

B12 deficiency often needs B12 injections as the reason B12 is low is that the body is unable to absorb it from foods and that includes oral B12. It can be caused by certain medications like metformin, esomeprazole etc.
Passing more urine could be a UTI or high blood glucose.
Vertigo can be an ear infection or something called Meniere's disease
Hi,
No B12 injections available in this country when I have been booked for injections, 3 times! So had to do something myself. Like most places these days I get the can't help smile and a shrug of the shoulders with lots of sympathy, great help!
No UTI, just had urine tests. Bg as normal for me and not Meneire's, been checked and suspected but with no hearing loss. Menere's without hearing loss is unheard of, excuse the pun.
Contracted vertigo after a near death bout of campylobacter, which has subsequencially thrown up the multiple health issues I deal with daily. Oh to return to the ignorance of my problems.
I have been tested, probed, prodded, sampled, X-rayed and scanned. A guinea pig for all manner of medicated pills and reacted to everyone. Now I'm trialing external medications to get my results under control, as a last ditch effort. Fingers crossed, as are the legs for the moment!
Cheers

Hi,
No B12 injections available in this country when I have been booked for injections, 3 times! So had to do something myself. Like most places these days I get the can't help smile and a shrug of the shoulders with lots of sympathy, great help!
No UTI, just had urine tests. Bg as normal for me and not Meneire's, been checked and suspected but with no hearing loss. Menere's without hearing loss is unheard of, excuse the pun.
Contracted vertigo after a near death bout of campylobacter, which has subsequencially thrown up the multiple health issues I deal with daily. Oh to return to the ignorance of my problems.
I have been tested, probed, prodded, sampled, X-rayed and scanned. A guinea pig for all manner of medicated pills and reacted to everyone. Now I'm trialing external medications to get my results under control, as a last ditch effort. Fingers crossed, as are the legs for the moment!
Cheers
Sorry for your struggle, campylobacter is a nasty infection and can be missed as it is a tricky bacteria to isolate.
My late mother in law was never the same after having that but she was 95 so it was really debilitating.
I hope your cocktail of meds helps.

B12 deficiency often needs B12 injections as the reason B12 is low is that the body is unable to absorb it from foods and that includes oral B12.
Low B12 does not necessarily indicate that the body is unable to absorb it. That is only one of the causes.
I was diagnosed with low B12 a few years back and did not need B12 injections.
I was able to take oral medication and introduce additional B12 into my diet.

Hi,
My low B12,140, is the result of lack of eating dictated by IBS. Twelve years of low consumption of food and endless cycles of restrictive eating followed by weeks of fasting is doing the damage. Until I can push Gastrology to perform a fecal transfer the cycle continues, unabated. This is all compounded by reacting to 99% of oral medications prescribed, T2 and CKD dietary restrictions. With a rash of mini strokes last year it became more urgent to mitigate my health problems.
Had to stop blood thinners after they destroyed the stomach, trialing insulin and BP patches. With the patches there are side effects which make me useless for 20 hours after application, small price to pay if they start working, not as yet.
Cheers

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back