Boots Pharmacy

Status
Not open for further replies.
Nice to hear, you've been banging on about it long enough! so I guess see you in 2011?? I'lll be no different probably more grey hair!!!

Bring us back a 6 pack of VB stubbies😉

Yep, gahhh! I'm nervous because I dont even know where i'm staying on my first night yet, haha!

I dont know what those are, but sure 😉

You will! Victoria Bitter, little bottles aka stubbies so they don't get too hot! easy to neck LOADS and get totally trollied!!! First night no need to sleep party!!!

You will! Victoria Bitter, little bottles aka stubbies so they don't get too hot! easy to neck LOADS and get totally trollied!!! First night no need to sleep party!!!

haha sounds good 🙂 that is true, I just wont sleep!

I've got a stubby holder that I brought back from Oz a while back - designed to keep the your beer bottle as cold as poss for as long as poss... might be persuaded to part with it...

Karina 😉

Hey Debs, can you tell him that you sell your so called "spare" strips on EBay to poor neglected diabetics who can't get any? Madness? Are you the only type 1 diabetic in town? (Thinks to herself...maybe community pharmacists should be sent on the Daphne* course as part of thier Continuing Professional Development...sounds like it would do some of them good, and who'd turn the chance to do a bit of the dreaded CPD?)

Katie, pharmacists arn't doctors (well, some of them are...in that they hold doctorates), but they have done a four year masters degree and a year of slave labour, known as Pre-registration training, followed by a big exam. Some pharmacists can prescribe. Unfortunately not all of them have a sense of humour, or much of an understanding of what having an actual illness involves.
The ammount of money you make from dispesing prescriptions is minimal, from the lecture notes of the lecture i slept through four years ago, the pharmacy has to be reimbursed the price of the item minus a % deduction and plus an allowance...possibly, (the latter might apply from an insulin pen taken out of a five pack, but not a pack of test strips i think...so they would actually lose money on test strips) however they are paid for the prescritions they dispense, but that's a rate per prescription, not per item. This may be why so many local, independant pharmacies have closed down. Boots can pay it's dispensing staff a fixed wage because they make money on sandwiches, make-up, shampoo and any drugs you buy over the counter. In Hospitals the money comes from the government and taxes and the like (or so they tell us... has to come from somewhere, i think it's the hospital's overdraft at the moment...).
Whats more, all pharmacy staff are supposed to be qualified in some way these days, Assistants either have or are working towards an NVQ level 2, Technicians have or are working towards a BTEC in Pharmacy Services and/or an NVQ level 3 (and this is not as easy as it might sound...). Unfortunately not everybody has an understanding of diabetes, or what it's like being diabetic. But really, it might not seem that way sometimes, but your local pharmacy isn't staffed by people who were dragged in off the streets...

Rachel

*yeah, i know it's not spelt like that. 😉

I get that they are qualified. I don't get how they are qualified to go against what a Doctor has prescribed.

I think some of them feel they are better than quacks I get the feeling there can be a conflict of opinion, pharmies are failed quacks and VV but you're right they can't but they have morals and opinions, perhaps too many. Anyhows if someone said that to me I'd laugh in their face and tell them to shove off! I accept they are highly educated I know honestly and are generally all good, just we seem to be surfacing a fair number of rotten eggs!

I think i'd ask for my script back so I could take it elsewhere 😱

Yes no were your coming from when i went for my script on monday, they told me it was not ready for 3 days spoke to me like crap in front of other customers in shop, saying why have i used more strips than normal, ?:confused:

Think i am controlling my diabetes quiet well but these people getting me down,

Last edited:
Usually only when the doctor's got it wrong. That's what they're there for. Even then you've got to contact the doctor and work something out. I don't agree with any decision to limit anybody's test strips at all. I can't get my doctor to prescribe them for me on a regular basis at all, and to limit a type 1's strips is frankly mental, and dangerous. As far as my experiences go, there is a lot of ignorance about diabetes about even within the professional ranks. I think my notes about diabetes from college consisted of a brief hand-out, i left college (that's BTEC college, not degree college) still under the impression that type 1s were born with it and type 2 only happened to old or fat people (before anybody gets upset, i have obviously changed my opinnion, i know now that people of all ages and all shapes and sizes can get diabetes . I've been astonished about how ignorant my collegues are about diabetes, considering the large number of patients we treat with either type. I'm deffinately not saying this is a good thing, it's embarrasing for one thing, both to me and to the professions. It's obvious to me that the people who know the most about thier condition or illness, regardless of what it is, are the people who have to live with it 24/7.
Sorry, i'm doing my "must appologise or make excuses for pharmacy" thing, it happens, it's coz i'm embarassed.

Rachel

Yes no were your coming from when i went for my script on monday, they told me it was not ready for 3 days spoke to me like crap in front of other customers in shop, saying why have i used more strips than normal, ?:confused:

Think i am controlling my diabetes quiet well but these people getting me down,

Oh boy would they catch it if they said that to me! Don't apologise Rachel - we know you're one of the good guys!🙂

I used to go to Boots for all my prescriptions, until they started messing around with my insulin. I had 2 boxes of insulin prescribed, went back to collect my insulin.. "oh we havent enough to give you 2 boxes, there is a problem with the insulin maker not making enough insulin blah blah blah" so they gave me a box from another persons prescription so he had 1/2 his script and I had 1/2 mine and they didnt know when their next delivery of insulin would be... I thought this was a load of rubbish and spoke to my dr who said no there was no problem with the supply of insulin and to change pharmacy. I went to Lloyds and have never been back to Boots, have been with Lloyds now for 5 or 6 years now and it is nice as they all know me in there and have never had a problem with insulin since, if they dont have something in, it is usually in the next day.

Sorry, i'm doing my "must appologise or make excuses for pharmacy" thing, it happens, it's coz i'm embarassed.

Rachel

I very often feel that way about nurses, so know how you feel.

In general I think pharmacists are brilliant. Doctors make so many mistakes in prescriptions and pharmacists always pick up on them.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back