Books on Psychology of Eating

Status
Not open for further replies.

Robert Lee

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 1.5 LADA
I'm interested in changing my attitude to food.
Can anyone recommend books or scientific articles on the psychology of eating?

I've never needed to consider my attitude towards food, as far as I'm aware. Hence I'm not aware of such things.

Understanding the properties and contents of foods - and why our body needs each component plus then, how much of it how often - is the first place to start though, I suppose?

Hi Robert, welcome to the forum.

Most books on the psychology of eating concentrate on the pathologies - anorexia, bulimia and so forth. Amazon is full of them, and the usual crackpots. The most general and well regarded is by Jane Ogden, called, not surprisingly, The Psychology of Eating. It’s not cheap, mind.

Hi Robert, welcome to the forum.

Most books on the psychology of eating concentrate on the pathologies - anorexia, bulimia and so forth. Amazon is full of them, and the usual crackpots. The most general and well regarded is by Jane Ogden, called, not surprisingly, The Psychology of Eating. It’s not cheap, mind.[/QUOTE

Thanks Mike, illI check the book out.
Being aware of the psychology of eating might be able help me to manage my diabetes. I'm thinking of comfort eating, social pressures, celebrations and family norms.
Understanding why and what we eat at certain time would be really helpful.

Hi Robert.🙂 There’s a new book out called “Why you eat what you eat”. I haven’t looked it up on amazon yet, just noted down the title for future ref, so it could be written by one of MikeyB’s crackpots, haha.🙄

It’s an interesting approach you’re taking. I’ve often wondered about the use of CBT to fix my sometimes undisciplined attitude towards snacking...let us know how you get on.😛

Last edited:
Hi Robert, the book Mike mentions is available from the library in my area, so it may well be worth while checking you local library out.

The description 'comfort' food becomes singularly inappropriate once you bring diabetes into the equation - it's far from comfortable knowing all the while you're eating the whole box of Jaffa cakes that it will take you hours to get rid of the too high BG after - and most likely months to get rid of the extra weight.

No it's 'punishment' food.

Which then of course begs the question as ever - Why do I need to punish myself?

But since I'm not a psychologist I'll leave that to those that are!

thanks for all the help. I'll certainly check out the books. I've just ordered a book from amazon (2nd hand 42p) " The social Psychology of Food"
I've noticed that I eat badly at certain times and when certain things happen. Whether aspects of CBT are useful here, I'm not sure, but its worth investigating

416gCR7NWjL._SX330_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg

Hi Robert.🙂 There’s a new book out called “Why you eat what you eat”. I haven’t looked it up on amazon yet, just noted down the title for future ref, so it could be written by one of MikeyB’s crackpots, haha.🙄

It’s an interesting approach you’re taking. I’ve often wondered about the use of CBT to fix my sometimes undisciplined attitude towards snacking...let us know how you get on.😛
Following on from your suggestion of a CBT approach .I came across this book, which seems highly recommended, and take a CBT approach
Diabetes and Wellbeing: Managing the Psychological and Emotional Challenges of Diabetes Types 1 and 2

Following on from your suggestion of a CBT approach .I came across this book, which seems highly recommended, and take a CBT approach
Diabetes and Wellbeing: Managing the Psychological and Emotional Challenges of Diabetes Types 1 and 2
Looks interesting, have put in a reservation for it from the library.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back