Bolus for meals average.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Thanks for the feedback, its what I thought but worried about taking too much and then going low. Nextbtime ill take a little more insulin and see how I go.
I hope one day we'll all have the opportunity to use a closed loop which ought to handle this kind of thing much better, but for the moment we're stuck with doing the best we can (with, compared to even a decade ago, marvellous tools). And sometimes we end up being high all night, or dropping too low.

I have the same issue with Chinese and high fat meals, how do you tackle the extended high? I was told not to dose with rapid insulin more than once in 4 hours, not sure this is still current?

Think it's common problem, maybe not in those newly diagnosed.

I'm on pump so just use extended bolus, so some upfront rest trickled in over good few hours. On injections would do some upfront then again 2 hours later then again 2 hours after that, but that was just me, it sort of worked but nowhere near as good as pump delivery.

Tbh it's just case of experimenting mate, so don't use my example as anything to go by or anyone else's for that matter, find all meals are doable with right knowledge, that knowledge like some other things in life can't be passed on so persevere

So if I was type one diabetic would it be best to avoid eating what I’d class as normal dinners? I think I’ve mentioned before, I’m 6ft 3 and about 16 stone. So not massive but I could easily eat 100g carbs and then do it 3 more times without too much drama. Could I just inject the insulin I needed or would that be dangerous?

So if I was type one diabetic would it be best to avoid eating what I’d class as normal dinners? I think I’ve mentioned before, I’m 6ft 3 and about 16 stone. So not massive but I could easily eat 100g carbs and then do it 3 more times without too much drama. Could I just inject the insulin I needed or would that be dangerous?
It wouldn't necessarily me dangerous if you took the right amount of insulin.
Don't forget we are all different with different levels of insulin sensitivity/resistance.
When I have pizza, the recipe makes 3 so between two of us that's a pizza and a half each (thing crust but still ...) plus some beer which adds up to more than 100g carbs. Like @nonethewiser mentioned, that type of meal typically requires a split dose but I think it's still worth it (not every day) and not dangerous. I am considerably smaller than you so it is probably close to your 100g three times.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back